Reviews "leaking"... a new trend?

Discussion in 'Graphics and Semiconductor Industry' started by Kombatant, May 4, 2004.

1. Kombatant

Regular

What is this thing with reviews "leaking" before the NDA is out? [H] was first with the NV40, now Tom's and Bjorn3D... is that a new trend or something? What do you guys think?

2. 991060

Regular

I think people did it intentionally for whatever reasons.

3. Kombatant

Regular

I would understand that if they were small sites, desperate for hits. But these sites are considered amongst the biggest in the net.

4. THe_KELRaTH

Regular

They got to be the biggest by the amount of hits.. hits translates to sponsorship. (Probably oneupmanship on Xbit too).

5. Hanners

Regular

I think Bjorn3D actually got hacked. :(

As for Tom's, I guess they felt it would be a refreshing change for them to leak a review rather than people taking a leak (figuratively speaking) on it. :p

6. Borsti

Newcomer

Well, I think I need to explain a few things. We did not post the article. We did´nt link it anywhere on the THG page. Due to a human error the german article was just acessible on the server for about 10 minutes. We pulled it imidately when we got aware of it. But it seems somebody just tried to find it by guessing the URL in that time and was lucky. It was long enough to start the mess, also thanks to browser caches.

The error happened because of a combination of unlucky things. We really have no interrested to see our work and images used all over the web! But we also can´t stop it.

I can only apologise to other sites and mags for the trouble it causes. I´m also sorry for Bjorn3D since some schnooks got the idea to hijack the site because of the leak.

Lars - THG

7. Ylandro

Newcomer

I'm having a hard time believing someone just got lucky...

However... bots scanning all major hardware site servers for new reviews that are not yet available from the home page, THAT i can believe.

If I just see the number of bots trying to hack into my personal FTP server.....

8. Kombatant

Regular

You've got to admit tho Lars, there were too many "luck" factors there (and no, I am not implying anything, to set the record straight); I am just pointing out that this sets a worrying trend (either by accidents like that, or by site hacking, as it was the case with Bjorn3D).

By the way was the whole article leaked, or just a part of it?

9. Borsti

Newcomer

Look at the URL of our articles:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040503/index.html

the folder 20040503 is the date. So it´s not hard to guess the URL if you know the NDA date. You know that some people in B3D also linked our NV40 .com article before it was online! (which is normally OK since the content is protected on a stage server). So there´s really no mistery behind the URL.

As I said, it happened on the german server. That one´s a bit different from our .com servers. Our guy who handles the german articles normally and left the office earlier so someone else had to handle it. But he did not know that he had to set the protection by hand (that works automatic for the .com). That´s the story behind it. Nothing more, nothing less. We make sure it can´t happen again.

As I said. We have zero benfit from it (no PIs etc). The article was a not finished draft/work in progress in german.

Lars - THG

10. martrox

martrox Old Fart
    Veteran

Jeez, Lars, considering what was shown....I'd hope is was a very old draft..... :roll:

11. Borsti

Newcomer

Oh yes! I´m working on benchmark graphs with buttons like "Insert your favorite numbers here" for every card. So everyone can generate the results he wants to see :wink:

Lars

12. Mephisto

Newcomer

yea yea. This wasn't the first, nor the second time for THG. :roll:

13. PatrickL

Veteran

Lars, using 61.11 drivers has already proven your point :lol:

14. Kombatant

Regular

I for myself have no reason not to believe you. And since it's not the final form of the article, I will reserve my...ehm... constructive criticism until I see the final ;)

15. Scott@bjorn3d

Newcomer

Bjorn3D did get hacked. I know I own it. We have been up all night working on the issues. And we did pull the links people found.

16. Borsti

Newcomer

noticed the different color? All IQ tests were run with the 60.72 drivers. It seems to be a bit fanatic to see a cheat behind every performance increase. NV40 is a new chip. A performance increase from beta to beta driver is nothing really surprising. You can also see some perfromance drops with 61.11.

Happy flaming! :lol:

17. Kombatant

Regular

Yes, we heard man. Any idea where it came from? Is it the first time such an attempt has been made?

18. incurable

Regular

I like it. :D

Oh, and I hate ATi. :evil: :x :evil:

19. volt

Regular

We have a few guesses, not concrete yet. And yes it's the first and hopefully the last time.

20. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

You do realize that this could all be avoided by NOT putting up ANY of the content until a lot closer to the NDA expiration, don't you? :|

Security by obscurity is just wishful thinking. :(