Reviewing GSYNC... is this a known issue?

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Wip3ou7, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Wip3ou7

Newcomer

I recently got my hands on an AOC gsync monitor G2460PG and I have it hooked up to an amd fx-8350 with 16gb of ram and twin gtx 760 SLI. I have discovered a type of hiccup in the system that I am trying to resolve and am searching for help... I have included two videos which demonstrate my problem.

nVidia Pendulum tests:
    Video 1 and Video 2

Any insight as to why this is happening would be fantastic, thanks!

MORE:

AOC G-Sync monitor and SLI Zotac GTX 760 exhibiting abnormal stuttering. A normal gfx stutter is caused by a hold and skip. This is reversed, a skip and hold.

"Normal Skip": Frame 3 was not finished in time for Refresh 3 so Frame 2 was duplicated until Frame 3 could be displayed on Refresh 4.

Refresh 1: Frame 1 (~16ms)
    Refresh 2: Frame 2 (~32ms)
    Refresh 3: Frame 2 (~48ms)
    Refresh 4: Frame 3 (~64ms)

However the skip I'm experiencing is doing this:
    "Abnormal Skip": Although drawing is happening at approx 60fps (per the simulation) Frame 2 is entirely missing and frame 3 is shown instead and then duplicated or held until frame 4 is ready.

R1: F1 (~16ms)
    R2: F3 (~32ms)
    R3: F3 (~48ms)
    R4: F4 (~64ms)

Basically a normal skip is like a Hold-Skip. This seems like the reverse, Skip-Hold and is quite jarring to the senses.

The skip observable at 11 seconds into the video (video 2) will show an update which occurs on time yet visually skips frame, which then causes the system to hold that frame to compensate for the increased timestep.

BRiT likes this.
  2. pharma

Veteran Regular

3. lanek

Veteran

Im not sure this light flickering will create a skipped frame.. could be a side effect of it anyway, but not sure how.

Anyway, i dont understand why it happen on this demo, on a game i can understand if you hit the limit of the system ( display and g-sync ) and in some games there's some strange behaviour who can occurs.

Could be a defectuous hardware ?

4. pharma

Veteran Regular

Possibly hardware. Most likely video drivers ... you might either try uninstalling your video drivers using Driver Uninstaller (download @Guru3D) and reinstalling either the same driver or another one.

5. lanek

Veteran

6. pharma

Veteran Regular

It's most likely bad hardware on some monitors since the Asus Manu. rep to was asking people to call your local ASUS support to arrange an exchange.