Reverend at The Pulpit #13

Reverend

Banned
Kinda quick between Pulpit sessions, huh?

I personally voluntarily quit and was later personally ejected anyhow for violation.

I have a belief and pride. I stuck to them. John and Tim and others kinda made me feel good that I quit anyhow.

You voluntarily quit and were later personally ejected anyhow for violation....of the FM BDP I assume? :|

"John and Tim" being Reynolds and the Baron?

Sorry, just trying for some clarity. If that is what you're talking about I'll mention that I respect your position on it and your actions.

Hehe. No, John Carmack and Tim Sweeney would be my guess.

Edit: And for what little it's worth, I think you did the right thing Anthony.

"In summary, DST is on by default, because this way 3DMark05 score correlates better with real-world gaming performance for hardware that supports HW DST."

Why in the hell didn't FM just write "this way 3DMark05 score correlates better with real-world gaming performance for nVidia hardware"

:rolleyes:

Good call Rev, I hope you cursed 'em out too. :devilish:

maybe Series 5 supports it? sorry, you knew it was coming

anyway--you did the right thing. it's also curious to see how many of FM's list of DST-using games are part of TWIMTBP.

digitalwanderer said:
Why in the hell didn't FM just write "this way 3DMark05 score correlates better with real-world gaming performance for nVidia hardware"

Because apparently NV is not the only IHV with DST-support.
So their statement is indeed correct.

The Baron said:
it's also curious to see how many of FM's list of DST-using games are part of TWIMTBP.

Since for a long time NVIDIA was the only one with DST-support, I don't find this strange at all.
The reality happens to be that a large number of the games these days are TWIMTBP, so it would not be right to just ignore them, gamers won't ignore these games either.

A: DST has been around for such a long time already and as described above, it is catching on in a big way amongst games.
wow 5 years for 6 games and a few upcoming engines . Wow catching on in a big way !

I wonder what the 6 engines using 3dc in less than a year would be called ? A huge friggen way ?

Also, 3Dc would require a huge amount of additional artwork in the downloadable package, while DST is just a few
lines of code.
ah great . Why not just exclude textures totaly ! what another lame excuse .

And last but not least, Doom 3 uses DXT5 for normal map compression, just as we do, so this is indeed what forward looking games do:
And half life 2 is using 3dc . So half life 2 is a backwards looking game ?

futuremark man are you guys loosing any respect i had left for ya .

jvd said:
wow 5 years for 6 games and a few upcoming engines . Wow catching on in a big way !

I wonder what the 6 engines using 3dc in less than a year would be called ? A huge friggen way ?

Well, by this standard 3DMark05 should not use pixel shader 2.0 at all, since most games on the market do not use them (yes, most of them).

How many games use depth corrected shadow map? How many of them do not use DST?

I've read the thread and I've come to these conclusions:

*I have no idea what this threads about.
*I think Futuremark has booted Beyond3D from being a beta tester.
*I'm guessing.
*DST = digital sound technology?

digitalwanderer said:
"In summary, DST is on by default, because this way 3DMark05 score correlates better with real-world gaming performance for hardware that supports HW DST."

:rolleyes:

Good call Rev, I hope you cursed 'em out too. :devilish:

Pfft someone should remind futuremark what nvidia always says its a benchmark and not a game. So it would make more sense to disable it wouldn't it?

london-boy said:
Yeah, why not? I always curse friends! If they're wrong, then they should know!
Yup.

If they're a real friend, you owe them your honest opinion....even if it ain't the kindest thing.

Back