Reuters: "High-definition DVD market facing static"

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by Geo, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

http://today.reuters.com/news/artic...=&cap=&sz=13&WTModLoc=NewsArt-C1-ArticlePage3

The troubling part is:

Tho with a standards war, why this is coming as a surprise to anyone is a bit puzzling. A little too much rosy scenario? "Damn those consumers for figuring out we're putting them at risk of spending thousands for what might be glorified doorstops and coasters a little down the road!"

2. IgnorancePersonified

Regular

the whole idea that the new formats was going to drive home theatre sales was bogus from the start. I'll get one when the media drops in price too back stuff up. Just not a big enough leap from DVD for the masses - me included

3. hoom

Veteran

I'll get one when the price drops and they permanently disable the Digital Rights Removal system but not a day before.

4. RobertR1

RobertR1 Pro
    Legend

Never going to happen. The masses simply don't even know what it is or what it means for them. They'll take what's given to them as long as it's cheap and hyped up enough.

5. pcchen

pcchen Moderator
    Moderator Veteran Subscriber

Actually the DRM is nothing new. The CSS in the original DVD is a form of DRM. Macrovision is another. No one seems to care much about them, so I really don't think average consumers are going to care about the new DRM schemes more.

6. _xxx_

Banned

CSS and Macrovision didn't limit your rights the way DRM does, nor has it ever required additional/new hardware. That might make the difference for the average consumer.

7. SPM

SPM
    Regular

I put this down to three reasons:

1) Shortage of supply.
    2) The smart customer waiting one format or the other to win before buying.
    3) The smart customer waiting for a price drop and an HDMI TV set before buying.