Returnal (Housemarque) [PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
I'm interested as well. 89.99 is steep price though. I need to play Hades first to see if I really like this genre enough to invest. I was abhorrently turned off Rogue Likes after playing Below. The difficulty was just too much. I didn't feel dying helped make me stronger in any way.

It's always interesting to see how play through sections are chosen to be analyzed -- is the analyzer spending too long in one section of a game or skipping through certain areas just to get numbers to reflect what story they want to tell or is it because the game requires more time spent in that section. The same thing with them pausing on one system but not another before moving on to force glitches or not putting together more like-for-like situations.

That's mostly why I've grown beyond all the "tech analysis" being done by most places, it's entirely too easy to shape the results.
it can take a while. But I largely suspect you don't want to show spoilers as well. The ending of Outriders for instance, is significantly heavier than anything you see in the tech analysis. You're basically fighting in the storm and a lot of stuff is going down. Unfortunately thats' too close to the end to show and benchmark.

So I sort of get it.

Last edited:
I'm interested as well. 89.99 is steep price though. I need to play Hades first to see if I really like this genre enough to invest. I was abhorrently turned off Rogue Likes after playing Below. The difficulty was just too much. I didn't feel dying helped make me stronger in any way.
have same problem, didn't play rouge like game and have feeling I could get bored quickly also don't like hard games

So there is raytracing in the game after all. Isn't this the first ever Unreal Engine game with raytracing?
My google-fu tells me all we've had so far were Nvidia RTX demos.

Also, from the wording they use I can't figure out if it's raytraced Global Illumination..
By leveraging PS5’s ray-tracing hardware, we are able to deliver high-quality lighting in real time. Our global illumination system uniquely adapts to the randomized placement of the world, while neon-lit projectiles create that arcade, fever-dream feel our team is known for.

have same problem, didn't play rouge like game and have feeling I could get bored quickly also don't like hard games
yea, roguelikes are a bit against the norm. Dying is progress, at least it should be. Each time you die, you get out there and you play through getting more powerful, you die rinse and repeat, and it should lead to success.
However, some games broke this part of the mechanic, and you can die like right away after respawning (cheap one hit kills, like traps), they make you pick up your body, and now your body is toast. The only thing gained is the exploration aspect which makes the game silly, because if you died somewhere you didn't want to die, too bad. You can't retrieve your body, you are starting from scratch until you pick it up. Then it's an inventory issue because the game is not skill based, so there's nothing retained. This was the issue with Below. It came off as as roguelike, but really, I'm not sure what is was. I guess a survival game.

Last edited:
yea, roguelikes are a bit against the norm. Dying is progress, at least it should be. Each time you die, you get out there and you play through getting more powerful, you die rinse and repeat, and it should lead to success.
However, some games broke this part of the mechanic, and you can die like right away after respawning (cheap one hit kills, like traps), they make you pick up your body, and now your body is toast. The only thing gained is the exploration aspect which makes the game silly, because if you died somewhere you didn't want to die, too bad. You can't retrieve your body, you are starting from scratch until you pick it up. Then it's an inventory issue because the game is not skill based, so there's nothing retained. This was the issue with Below. It came off as as roguelike, but really, I'm not sure what is was. I guess a survival game.
this is no case in returnal, after you defeat boss once you get permanent key to portal to another "level"

hmmm graphically it looks pretty bad, OK its very smooth so it has that but theres nothing that cant be done on a PS4 (@ 30fps & lesser res) I do not see the RT GI at all in the videos.
Gameplay-wise I fail to see whats special, its just lining things up in the sights and shooting (whilst avoiding bullethell) hey perhaps its fun to play, just not my idea of a fun game. No idea about this rogue gameplay talk. Then again rouge-game Hades was indie game of the year, which I never grasped whats so special about from watching the videos, so maybe its just me

https://www.powerpyx.com/returnal-trophy-list/
The game is really difficult and unlike other roguelike games, you cant upgrade your character. You start off weak every time you die. Only you can get better which is going to cut off a lot of players who are not good at these kinds of games. You cant just grind your way to be better and get past a hard area. Can see this being a major complaint for a lot of people who are expecting this game to be a high paced shooter when in reality, I find it harder than demons souls, a game which I platinumed.
They probably should have put up a demo for this, because the majority of the people spending €80 on their pre-order won’t even have the patience to finish the 2nd Act.
Demon’s Souls / Dark Souls is easy in comparison because you can overlevel and thereby reduce the difficulty and you keep your progress (except souls) between deaths + you can spec your character to suit your playstyle.
In Returnal you lose everything when you die or when you leave the game. You can’t even pick your weapon because everything is randomized.
It’s very punishing because you need to run through large portions of the game again if you die, and some enemies can kill you in 2-3 hits.
ok so pass for me ;d

Back