Returnal (Housemarque) [PS5]

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by jayco, Jun 11, 2020.

1. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

Biome 3 is the hardest, after clearing that last night I flew all the way to last stage easily. I'm in rest mode now, will attempt to beat the game today.

Reynaldo likes this.
  2. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

Yeah I must say, by the time you get to biome 4, the rest comes relatively easily. Maybe because you’ve have to GG big time just to get there, so 5 and 6 feels kinda easy.

Reynaldo likes this.
  3. Reynaldo

Newcomer

Yeah, I actually got through 4 pretty easily and managed to kill the boss on my first try. Also left it on rest mode (why there is no save state or something like that still baffles my mind).

One thing I have not encountered is any kind of online interactions I saw in the previews. Seems they’re bugged for some people.

4. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

Online interactions are turned off since before the launch.

Housemarque had the plans to make bodies of dead players appear in random playthroughs, with option to get some items or "avenge" them by fighting powerful monsters. Hopefully they'll add that sometimes.

jlippo likes this.
  5. Reynaldo

Newcomer

Oh really? Did not know that. I recall reading on twitter and reddit some people seeing them.

6. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

Finished!!! 18 deaths.

Awesome game. A real action gem! Hopefully it will be successful, I want more of this from Housemarque.

7. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

Actually this worked for a short time when they broke the game.
    After the patch that corrupted people’s saves and before the one that fixed it, this worked for me.
    It appeared like voice messages that Selene leaves, same symbol, and it asked whether I wanted to avenge or loot.
    But the game was basically unplayable with constant error messages so I didn’t delve too deep into it.

BRiT likes this.
  8. ThePissartist

Veteran Regular

This game is way too hard for someone with no time. I get to play maybe once a week for an hour and everytime I get my arse kicked severely. :(

Not recommended for anyone with low levels of playtime.

#268 ThePissartist, May 11, 2021
    Last edited: May 11, 2021
    snc likes this.
  9. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

just give control to London Geezer with shareplay and watch him do !

Unknown Soldier likes this.
  10. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

After finishing it yesterday [with 95% of my deaths being in "Act 1"], I fired up the game again today, and casually finished first three biomes.
    [​IMG]

11. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

I am absolutely convinced that toughest enemies in the game are act4 variants of these fuckers
    [​IMG]

:D

London Geezer likes this.
  12. ThePissartist

Veteran Regular

I honestly don't know how you're all doing it. The game just seems to get harder and harder for me. I got to the first boss three times in a row, now I can't get anywhere near it.

I've had 21 runs at this thing and I haven't got past the first boss. I'm happy to accept I may be shit at games, but it's a bit frustrating for someone like me that simply can't progress and doesn't retain much from run to run.

I sware it's getting harder since the update. I think I'm doing well, then it pops me in a room with a bunch of those tall green chaps and a mimic and I get destroyed.

I really wish it'd be more like a traditional rogue-like game and actually let me retain my weapon proficiency or something. An easy mode for noobs like me would really help. Or at least the game recognise that I'm bad at it and randomise things favourably.

Anyone that's tempted with buying this game, get the disc version not digital like me, coz if it doesn't work for you, it cannot be returned. And I'd honestly like to return Returnal back to where it came from.

#272 ThePissartist, May 12, 2021
    Last edited: May 12, 2021
    snc likes this.
  13. snc

snc
    Veteran Newcomer

you should had read my posts about difficulty of the game before realse ;d

ThePissartist likes this.
  14. TheChosenOne

Newcomer

This game unfortunately froze on me today, and I had to reset the PS5 to factory condition (losing all games and data) to get it to even boot back up. First time that's happened to me on the system.

I had just finished the 3rd biome last night, so hopefully the cloud upload kicked in and my progress was saved.

PSman1700 likes this.
  15. ThePissartist

Veteran Regular

I hate to bang on about it, but this game is infuriatingly difficult and I played and finished Bloodborne. It's such a shame because the dynamics of the controls are very good, I'm just finding it harder with each run, not easier. I can't even get to the first boss. The difficulty seems to have been ramped up with the latest patch.

I know as soon as it says "area in lockdown" that I'm screwed. It swarms me with bat-like creatures and then pops 4-6 boss-like characters all in the same room and no matter how much I move and dodge and fire I get absolutely overwhelmed.

I hope that Housemarque are able to fix it and switch out the difficulty for those persistently stuck in biome 1. Without a fix this will be the last (and first) game of theirs I ever purchase.

16. Miniature Kaiju

Newcomer

Not when Biome 3 Variant Drones exist. Getting into a Containment Room with a bunch of them is the definition of a nightmare.

17. Unknown Soldier

Veteran

Speedrun, all biome's and all bosses - 1h18m

18. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

Speedrun.com has several categories for Returnal, and they are all very fun.

19. ThePissartist

Veteran Regular

Looks like the speedruns are from a fresh save, does it get harder the more you play? I honestly can't understand how difficult this game has become. It's way harder now than when I started.

20. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber