Return of Bitboys: Mobile vertex/pixel shaders?

I really wonder who they have been convincing all this time to keep giving them money without any product to show for any of it :p

Why are they proud of hardware accelerated vector graphics rendering? Lots of people doing CAD on their mobile phones?

Cryect said:
I really wonder who they have been convincing all this time to keep giving them money without any product to show for any of it :p

Cryect: time make a search in here. you seem to dropped out of the news wheel quite a long time ago... it has been a more than a year when NEC announced implementing G10 on their LCD displays.

For this new one, I didn't see this coming so quickly. I knew that Acceleon follower was on the works, but this was a bit sooner than I expected.

In any case, while official launch date is 10th of August in SigGraph, There's Seminar about Future HandHeld devices and graphics at The Assembly 2004 (5th - 8th of August, 2004) by Petri Nordlund. I'll be there as well as few other guys from here, so let's se what bits they are showing as a preview. ;)

MfA said:
Why are they proud of hardware accelerated vector graphics rendering? Lots of people doing CAD on their mobile phones?

SVG is a part of 3G and MMS. so that's why SVG support on hardware is important especially on low end models. Also, with vector graphics you can make content like Macromedia Flash animations. (it can do filled vector graphics. :) that's the idea. )

besides, even 2 years ago demoed Acceleon G10 prototype could do that, so it is just part of their basic features.

Flash on the mobile would indeed be cool, but just think how demanding it is for desktop computers :oops:

Leto said:
Flash on the mobile would indeed be cool, but just think how demanding it is for desktop computers :oops:

yeah, that's why you need hardware acceleration support for it.

Nappe1 said:
Cryect: time make a search in here. you seem to dropped out of the news wheel quite a long time ago... it has been a more than a year when NEC announced implementing G10 on their LCD displays.

Prolly more just haven't been paying attention news where Bitboys was mentioned so I missed that.

Though I'm definately interested to see what BitBoys brings out, 3d itself I question on a cell phone but better 2d acceleration at lower wattage would be nice. Pixel shaders and vertex shaders though could be very useful for 2d applications.

There are plenty of applications to handheld graphics acceleration. To name a few off my head, there had been times when I wished for such devices. Examples like handheld CAD devices for engineers who need to access certain CAD work for inpromptu modifications to their plans and don't want to lug a whole notebook about. Travelling to remote places like Africa, where handheld, low powered devices will be easier to carry about than even a notebook.

Graphics are important, since they visualize the 0s and 1s in the computer's memory, and no matter how rudimentary, the simplest graphics tend to get complicated with time.

Smurfie said:
Graphics are important, since they visualize the 0s and 1s in the computer's memory, and no matter how rudimentary, the simplest graphics tend to get complicated with time.

Smurfie, pal, you get my personal literature award for this season

Tahir said:
Nappe1 you just doomed another Bitboys product by posting a reply here. :LOL:

naah, G10 become their major product though I made 2 big posts about it here. ;)

so it seems that I am out of the loop at least on case of Bitboys. ;) Also, Matrox Parhelia new revision came out after all and it was what I expect it to be, so there's hope that my time as cursed is ending. ;)

But I kind of over took this thread by storm so efficiently that it took several hours before others had guts to post here again. :D

Leto said:
antialiasing would be nice on the UI of the mobile

I have seen their anti-aliasing in action and without any real measuring points, (I haven't seen any version of MBX, nor any other competitors) I'd say it was quite good. Especially it is really good that AA can be aplied also on SVG material. it makes things much more clear on small screen.

Nappe1 said:
Cryect said:

I have a Bitboys chip in my TFT? :oops:

Back