[Retrohardware] Your favourites retro graphic card

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Simon82, Jan 9, 2007.

1. see colon

see colon All Ham & No Potatos
    Veteran

I-RAM uses SATA, so you'd need a SATA add in board that had win95 drivers. do those exist?

2. ben6

Regular

Trident 1MB ISA card 8900 I think man was that card useful until ISA died

3. Cowboy X

Newcomer

Couldn't he use an adapter ?

4. see colon

Veteran

i suppose you could, however i wonder if it (combined with the older OS) would cause issues. i've heard of IRAM users compaining about it being spotty in linux(ie not showing up at all, or being mountable as read only), depending on the distro and SATA chipset, but working flawlessly on the same machine in XP.

5. Cowboy X

Newcomer

Again , an adapter might help them , someone would have to check and see if anyone has been able to use it with a SATA - > PATA adapter . I wonder if this is mentioned in the iRAM's FAQs .

6. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

I'd have to say my Orchid Righteous 3D Voodoo 1, followed closely by my V5. The latter was one of the first 15 sent out to press and I luckily got one in early May of '00. Also probably the single 3D board I used for the longest amount of time.

7. see colon

Veteran

if you would have posted this about a year ago i would have given you mine. my first computer (the first one i bought myself)
    was an Am5x86 and had a VLB card from mirro i think. no 3d, but the thing was pretty snappy in 2d and IIRC decent video scaling. the 5x86 was definatley "the cpu that could" for me. i remember running duke nukem and shadow warrior on that machine, thinking quake will never run. but it did, at almost playable framerates!

i'm gonna go check my pile of cards, i might have saved it, but i know i recycled the computer.

-edit-
    nope, i don't have the card. at least not here. i moved about a year ago, and i still have some stuff in storage, but i don't think i got most of my PC components out because it gets pretty cold in the winter.

i did, however, find my fireGL1000. it has MoSys SGRAM!

#47 see colon, Jan 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2007
  8. JoshMST

Regular

The first V5 I got from 3dfx did not work on VIA chipsets, which was all I had at that time. Well, I did have an older SiS chipset that the V5 worked fine on, and I had to send the whole thing back. When I got it back, it had some hand soldered trace wire all over it to fix the issue. Still got that puppy here, one of my favorite cards of all time as well.

9. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

Heh heh. I just stuck a Promise SATA150TX2 in the thing so I could use a SATA notebook HDD instead of the noisy deathstar. It's a very quiet 486 now. Funny how the PCI bus in there can only get 25MB/s burst from the controller though, according to HDTach and coretest.

That's right folks....a 486 with SATA.:lol:

10. swaaye

Legend

Heh. Thanks for checking. I actually have a few VLB video cards and VLB controller cards. I just need a mobo. I had one a few months back but it was just too crusty for the 5x86. No way to turn on WB L1 cache, which kills a good chunk of the chip's "speed".

Ah well, I don't think I'll mess with VLB anymore honestly. Mainly because of the controller cards being so ancient for HDDs. And just because it's all so ridiculous anyway. :)

Oh, and yeah I'm running Win95C on the 486 machine. It is SO much faster than 98SE that it's just unreal. I tried out 98Lite and that is ok too, but it's not really worth the effort IMO. Apprently the 98 shell is a lot more demanding than 95's. 98lite lets you swap in the 95C shell into 98SE, among other things.

I kinda prefer 95's shell honestly. 98 didn't add many really impressive enhancements, other than say being able to minimize an app by clicking on it in the taskbar.

#50 swaaye, Jan 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2007
  11. mashie

Newcomer

I remember when I added two Diamond Monster 3DII 12MB in SLI to boost the Quake II performance of my FireGL 1000Pro system. My god, not only did the speed change by an order of magnitude, I could see coloured lightning everywhere in the game (the FireGL only supported white lights).

12. swaaye

Legend

Heh. That must have been an eye opener!

13. DeadlyNinja

Veteran

I still fondly remember my first graphic card. It's a GeForce 2 MX 64MB. I still have that sucker. It was a pretty sweet card back in the day.

14. swaaye

Legend

Twas. I never owned one myself, but I knew plenty who did. Popular card back in '01/'00.

I was running my Matrox G400 MAX until I went to a Radeon LE.

15. BrynS

Regular

Another Kyro II fan here (2001-2004). I held out in the hope of a miraculous Series 4 rescue until FarCry coerced me into making the jump to a 9800 Pro.

While not particularly rare, I still have a Creative Graphics Blaster 3D (PCI, Cirrus Laguna 3D chipset with 4MB Rambus RAM), which may have featured in those Creative TV adverts with the kid playing on a PC with various game characters exploding out through the screen, although this might have been for an earlier 3D Blaster model.

I nearly managed to get hold of a 6MB Pure3D back in the Voodoo 1 era -- those were the days! :razz:

16. Murakami

Regular

Riva 128: Half Life was perfect, even in 800x600 (even if pixelated... :lol: ).
    Rendition Verite 1000: Quake and Descent2 come alive.

17. Davros

Legend

never owned one but what were the number 9 cards like ???

18. nyt

nyt
    Newcomer

My first accelerator, an Orchid Farhenheit 1280.. funny reading: http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;76870
    Next was the Diamond Stealth 64 VLB, Wintach was flying with this one on my OC'd DX2-66 to -80!
    My latest card already feel old (X1900XTX), I hope that the 8600U won't beat it or it will end on eBay pretty quick!

19. Simon82

Newcomer

Oh oh... look at you.. Murakami from Italy.. :lol:

Why Riva128 produce pixelated images?

20. INKster

Veteran

My first graphics card was a S3 Trio 64V+ with 1MB, upgradeable to 2MB via a tiny slot onboard... :D
    It works in Windows Vista, albeit a like awkwardly.
    Next was a 3Dfx Voodoo Banshee PCI 16MB, that i still own and it works in Vista too.

After that, i made a rather brutal jump to a Geforce 2 Pro 64MB. :wink: