Retro PS2 gaming on a CRT - PS2 vs PS3

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by davis.anthony, Nov 9, 2021.

1. PSman1700

Legend Newcomer

Ah, you can just load the images you want to the HDD, 1TB is enough for a one-time job for all the important games. Not all xbox versions are directly better, for example SSX tricky/SSX3 they might run better on the xbox, but i just cant play these with the xbox controller. Theres more such examples.

If your into fighting games, the PS2 is the platform for that in 6th gen era. Virtua Fighter 4 only made it to that system, for example (arguably best fighter for that time).

Wii is the best choice for any GC work, i have one dedicated for that. Its a GC with the wii as a bonus. As a matter of fact, the Wii is better for classic GC gaming then the original GC is for many reasons. Still have my launch GC aswell as two others (silver 2005's).

2. davis.anthony

Regular Newcomer

I know exactly what you mean, Tony Hawks just doesn't feel right on an Xbox pad.

Ah VF4....... The game that proved PS2 could actually do anti-aliasing!

I want it for GC, N64 and SNES....... does it support 240p output?

I'm seriously thinking of changing this Phillips CRT I have, my eye sight just can't on with how the display looks.

PSman1700 likes this.
  3. PSman1700

Legend Newcomer

Amazing looking backgrounds aswell. Ghosthunter if you really want to see what the PS2 could do.

Yes as far im aware using Retroarch (either over composite, component or scart). I dont think 480p would be a problem anyway, not even for N64 or snes stuff. Not for me atleast.

Ten years ago it was quite easy to get ahold of some good CRT tv's, today its ye..... look for second hand/marketplace sometimes people want to get rid of them. Sony/panasonic had some nice tubes, Wega, trinitron, quintrix... have had them all :p
    Loved the panasonics, dunno why, they had such great IQ.

4. davis.anthony

Regular Newcomer

Raise your hand if you took your PS2 apart to clean it and had a single screw left over after you put it back together.

*raises hand*

:lol:

PSman1700 likes this.
  5. see colon

see colon All Ham & No Potatos
    Veteran

They only gave you one extra?

6. PSman1700

Legend Newcomer

Happened to some devices when putting stuff back together ;)

7. davis.anthony

Regular Newcomer

I completely forgot how bad the frame rate can be in multiplatform games on PS2 :lol:

Conflict Vietnam 20fps slide show :cry:

PSman1700 likes this.
  8. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

I've been enjoying PCSX2 on PC. Higher quality PS2 gaming. Some games like CON look amazing, although some games still glitch or have slowdowns at times.

As for sourcing a CRT, there's a website called Freecycle where people give stuff away if you are able to collect. I gave away a cheapo 14" CRT just last week. Used it to test some old computers and VCRs on a clearout. Egads, how did we cope with the flickering?! I wouldn't use a radioactive flickertube ever again!! Maybe a high-end 120Hz would be survivable, but bog-standard PAL must have caused no end of brain damage. That might explain current politicians who grew up watching the thing... ;)

PSman1700 likes this.
  9. Theeoo

Newcomer

I didn't realise that retroarch has a PS2 build as well (I mean running on hard/softmodded PS2). Not sure how good it is though.

10. davis.anthony

Regular Newcomer

I would love an emulator on a PC to run 576i with down sampling but sadly the GPU hardware required to run that doesn't support RGB over 21pin Scart and converters don't work well at all.

Getting CRT's isn't an issue, I have a 28inch Phillips CRT with Pixel Plus (I'm still not 100% convinced I like what Pixel Plus does to the image) that I picked up local for the same cost as a few beers.

I had ten CRT monitors in the garage at one point, they're amazing and when played in a pitch black room like I did they really come in to their own..... and that motion clarity simply can be beaten.

#30 davis.anthony, Nov 15, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  11. Theeoo

Newcomer

You could play an awesome prank, and get someone to go into your garage at night and play a clip of the Saw puppet saying "I want to play a game" on the monitors to put the wind up 'em.

12. idsn6

Regular

Well, VF4 Evolution did. Compare its IQ with the original VF4 if you can.

13. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

I thought the PAL version of Tekken Tag Tournament proved that much earlier

14. davis.anthony

Regular Newcomer

People often dismissed TTT for some reason..... But we had VF4 that was a jaggie fest and then VF4 EVO which was smooth.

It was the first time we had a the 'same' game showing such a difference.

15. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

see colon and davis.anthony like this.
  16. davis.anthony

Regular Newcomer

17. PSman1700

Legend Newcomer

Felt its something for this thread. 6th gen and a CRT ;)

18. davis.anthony

Regular Newcomer

I'm having more fun playing PS2 and OG Xbox (Looking for a soft-modded Wii U) then I have done for years on the modern consoles.

I feel like I'm actually playing games and I've enough games to keep me busy for a life time.

PSman1700 likes this.
  19. davis.anthony

Regular Newcomer

A few snaps I took....

SH2 looks awesome on a CRT as the deep blacks really add to the atmosphere.

And a shot of the good old Emotion Engine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PSman1700 likes this.
  20. PSman1700

Legend Newcomer

Fully agree. Graphics and all have improved alot ofcourse, but gameplay wise? Give me 6th gen era of games. In special the PS2 with its huge library/extreme amount of AAA exclusives to that system.

https://www.gamingbible.co.uk/news/...y2De4l-CNKN6TMkcd3F5GuiUFMX6sgTx5sjPtFOGUBwvU

The comments on their FB page are in that direction aswell, most are saying they'd actually prefer to be given a mint GC over a current gen PS5/XSX/XSS console.

Played it 2018 on the PS2 and Xbox, the ps2 version is the version to go for graphically and audio-wise aswell.

davis.anthony likes this.