Retail vs DD, Steam vs Origin (*spawn BF3 thread)

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Ike Turner, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Ike Turner

Veteran Regular

I personally don't give a shit about Steam availibilty. As long as the gameis availble to purchase some places else (physicalcopy or DD) and is fun, then that's all that matters. THe EA bashing is lame. Valve has been just a shitty lately.

MOD EDIT: moved discussion from BF3 thread, started with the news that BF3 might not be available on Steam.

#1 Ike Turner, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2011
  2. KKRT

Veteran

It wont, just like Starcraft 2, BF3 will be perfectly fine. Do people really think that Steam is the only platform out there and its loved beyond reality? Most people buy game where price is the best, not where they think they should.

Grow up people, really, its the game that is important, not a distribution service.

3. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

In any case, I'm still thinking this is much ado about nothing. EA not releasing this on the (by far) #1 outlet for PC games is loco, even they must realize this.

If the purpose is to drive more sales on Origin, consider this: how many gamers would turn to Origin if it's not made available on Steam? I'd wager not very many, at least not enough to offset the lost revenue they'd get from Steam.

#3 homerdog, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2011
  4. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

I believe this has been discussed on these forums on several occasions. Many users are quite picky about their distribution services and don't want multiple sources and clients running on their PC. Steam has made buying games very convenient and you'll find many many gamgers out there are stubborn and will stick to what they prefer.

The worse problem with this is that it's very likely that the box copy will require Origin as well, just like a Steam native game.

5. Rodéric

Rodéric a.k.a. Ingenu
    Moderator Veteran

Bah... the box copy will be cheaper than any digital distribution like usual, so I'll buy that instead...

6. KKRT

Veteran

Its not EA releasing it on Steam, its Valve not wanting to publish BF 3 on EA's conditions.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-07-11-steam-not-in-battlefield-3s-sights

About 60 other DD services havent got problems with EA terms btw.

7. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

Yep agreed. Steam availability makes no difference at all to me.

8. homerdog

What is in the terms that Valve finds so disagreeable?

9. Sigfried1977

Legend Veteran

It's going to be just as if not more expensive on Steam anyway. It always is with new games. Unless they are part of the Steam deals, you will always find the physical copies of the games in question for a significantly lower price if you shop around a couple of minutes, i.e.if you visit Amazon.

10. Andrew Lauritzen

Moderator Veteran

That's mostly speculation but from my reading my guess would be EA wants to push patches and content directly to players via the game client rather than updating the steam files and have steam do the sync.

The distribution service having the most up-to-date files and doing the updates is actually better for the user since it avoids the "I downloaded it, now I run it and it has to download gigabytes of patches" nonsense that you get from many services (and I might add, reintroduces the stupidity of the console model where your game only updates when you run it - arggh!).

I can see why EA doesn't necessarily want to manage patching their games on 10 different services at the same time and instead just manage it in their client, but frankly they really need to get over it and just do it. It provides a much nicer experience to customers, which are supposed to be the priority here from their comments. The in-game content delivery is convenient to EA, but let's not pretend it's better for users.

It's also quite possible that they want something else that Valve is unwilling to provide like details about its users (e-mails, etc). I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case too. Overall it's basically and Valve and EA platform/customer control war that is just going to hurt everyone in the long run. You can't really fault either party for wanting the control, but as a user I have some history to convince me that Valve will treat me well, whereas I have some opposite history with EA, so you can see my preference...

That's often not true in Canada (particularly with the US$ how it is recently). Furthermore, I'll happily pay more to not have some silly physical media to store/keep track of!

#10 Andrew Lauritzen, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2011
  11. homerdog

Which is akin to saying "if it's not on sale at store A but is at store B, it will be cheaper at store B".

This is bordering on the off-topic, so I'll leave it for now.

12. Sigfried1977

Legend Veteran

Well, it's definitely true for Europe. Just to pick a recent example: Alice Madness Returns for £15 (that's about 17€ at the moment) on Amazon.co.uk vs 49€ on Steam. I think that's well worth the added clutter of packaging.

13. Sigfried1977

Legend Veteran

But new stuff is pretty much always on sale on Amazon. And if it's not, then their lowest price guarantee kicks in automatically (you don't even have to lift a finger). In some cases it's already cheaper to begin with. The Witcher 2 launched at 40€. That was not an Amazon bargain. That was the official retail price. Why the hell did it launch at 50€ on Steam then? I thought the point of DD was to save money?

14. homerdog

I suppose it's just different in the EU. US prices don't show such a discrepancy AFAICT.

15. Sigfried1977

Legend Veteran

Most likely true. In all fairness though, I don't think the differences have ever been as dramatic as they are at the moment. If you live in Germany like I do it's even worse because Steam will only offer you "violence reduced" versions of certain games, and I'm simply not willing to pay good money for censored versions. My only option is to import.

16. suryad

Veteran

I may be one of the few remaining weirdos but I prefer the good old ways where I don't need some digital service to grab my content which I paid for. A boxed version is infinitely more preferable to me. As much as I can I don't buy games off of Steam. I am usually way behind on my PC games anyways so by the time I get to the game I want to buy and play it's been out on the market for a year and all the patches and fixes and DLCs have been released and then I snag them for like 15 bucks. Win win situation if you ask me!

17. sonix666

Regular

I actually prefer digital download over retail. I hate having discs taking up space and getting damaged. But price differences can win me over.

Steam is my preferred digital download provider since it is very complete, with integrated server browser and friends service. And it's from Valve, which has high stakes in the PC gaming community and is one of the few companies not directly treating us PC gamers as scum of the earth. No digital download service of another company (especially not EA or Microsoft) will be used on my PC.

18. suryad

Veteran

Yeah I can see the argument of the boxes and discs taking up too much space and also that the discs can get scratched but even so, I really like having physical media. Just buying software online feels weird I guess...feels like I did no get my money's worth or something :)

19. aaronspink

Veteran

Honestly, having dealt with EAs system for pushing updates and content via in game and other methods, they can go jump off a cliff. Their infrastructure has been repeatedly shown to be broken, overloaded and just plain bug prone across multiple games. And the worst part is their customer service/face is annoying and prickish about any issue.

I'll go farther: Historically, EA wants to screw you. It is in their DNA. It is what they do best.

OTOH, Valve seems to generally give 2 craps about what they do.

20. RenegadeRocks

Legend

Physical copies of new PC games are priced at around $15-$20 in my country, with a few exceptions, where as DD services will charge me $60 on launch day. So, I'll buy the Disc version for that reason, but I generally tend to not buy a disc version of a game these days if it does not support Steam as I just don't want to keep switching game discs in my drive all the time. One of the primary reasons I have never played GTA4 much and already my disc is almost unreadable due to scratches.

There, thats my method of buying ! Buy a disc version, register it on Steam to play discless. If this combo is not possible, I just wait till the game goes on sale, but then thats again on Steam ! So, it comes down to Steam for PC games for me, I guess ! I have never bought anything from EA store, even if cheaper. I never buy from inside a browser.Also, one, I don't want another client, Steam is good enough. Two, I don't want my CC data with every other company.

I haven't bought Crysis 2 yet for these very reasons !