Restoring information from a severely scratched CD

Dresden

Celebrating Mediocrity
Veteran
My copy of Battlefield 2 is severely scratched. It's bar none my most dog-eared game. 4 years of mistreatment, lacking to put it back in it's case etc, has developed a sizable gouge on it. However, due to the fact my main computer has two CD drives, for some reason I can install it on my desktop. But, my laptop is a no go. I've tried everything. I figured copying the files from the CD, placing them in a folder then burning it's contents to a blank CD would be sufficient. Sadly, and probably obviously, it didn't work. Some files couldn't be copied. The install freezes at the same point every time, at a file called BFMC.exe, then gives me an error stating "Failed to install Battlefield 2, try installing from the beginning." Under normal circumstances, provided it prompted me to locate a missing file, this wouldn't be an issue. Alas, it doesn't. So I'm at a loss.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
let us know what files are corrupted

ps: that mfmc.exe is a bink video

you could find an avi (but preferably a *.bik file) and convert it to an exe using rad tools then put that on your dvd

http://www.radgametools.com/bnkdown.htm

I can send you a small *.bik file although I dont have a small executable bik

My copy of Battlefield 2 (sorry Repi :() is severely scratched. It's bar none my most dog-eared game. 4 years of mistreatment, lacking to put it back in it's case etc, has developed a sizable gouge on it.

Put them back in the case! It's not rocket science!

However, due to the fact my main computer has two CD drives, for some reason I can install it on my desktop. But, my laptop is a no go. I've tried everything. I figured copying the files from the CD, placing them in a folder then burning it's contents to a blank CD would be sufficient. Sadly, and probably obviously, it didn't work. Some files couldn't be copied. The install freezes at the same point every time, at a file called BFMC.exe, then gives me an error stating "Failed to install Battlefield 2, try installing from the beginning." Under normal circumstances, provided it prompted me to locate a missing file, this wouldn't be an issue. Alas, it doesn't. So I'm at a loss.

Any suggestions?

You need to copy the disk as an image not just copy the files across. This will only work depending how good your drive is and what the copy protection system is. You might only be able to use this with a no-cd crack, which will probably not allow you to play online.

You can try mounting your working drive on the network and installing from that across the network to the drive that can't read the disc. This may not work if the game needs a disc check every time it starts, unless you use a no-cd again.

You can try using one of those polishing systems designed to buff out the scratches.

You can contact the publisher's tech support and see if they will sell you replacement media at a discount. After all, you don't buy the product, you just get a licence for the IP.

You can buy a new disc. Even a second hand one off Ebay will allow you to enter your original install key, or whatever they use.

You can see if there is a Steam version you can convert to, so you can install from Steam on any machine.

I've had a lot of success with this stuff, or like Zed said above try a local video store or library & see if they've got one of those Disc Doctor (or whatever they're called) machines.

My icewind dale copies stoped working. They are no longer in print. I took matters into my own hands for whats its worth.

doesnt work Ive tried before

It does work I have done it before. :) Anecdotal evidence you see works both ways. And yes I have honestly done it to CDs that were unreadable and they were then readable. It may depend on the type used, or the method used to rub the CD though.

It does work I have done it before. :) Anecdotal evidence you see works both ways. And yes I have honestly done it to CDs that were unreadable and they were then readable. It may depend on the type used, or the method used to rub the CD though.
And presumably, whether you rinse afterwards :p

Back