Resident Evil Reviews

If they really release it for the PS2, do you guys think there will be a big difference regarding graphics?

Alejux said:
If they really release it for the PS2, do you guys think there will be a big difference regarding graphics?

Ports are never the best thing, but if Capcom spends some time with it, the difference shouldn't be HUGE. The feel of the game and many of its features will be there, the amount of geometry and particles should stay the same. We'll see. But it's going to be a port from one architecture to a completely different, and arguably less powerful one, so i'm not expecting a miracle.

Alejux said:

Well, considering the level of PS2-exclusives from Capcom, I'd expect a pretty big difference.

Alejux said:

Really? They have already confirmed it for PS2. There will be pressure on Capcom to make it look better if not equal to Cube version.

Eagle-Vision said:
Alejux said:
Well, considering the level of PS2-exclusives from Capcom, I'd expect a pretty big difference.
I'm not really sure what you mean. It sounds like a dig, but considering the likes of Onimusha 3, Capcom is eminently capable of delivering great-looking (and -functioning) games. They also tapped a capable developemnt team for it (they did the original Devil May Cry), so as Deepak says, it really depends how much emphasis they place on it. And since it's one of their premiere licenses--and the best-rated RE in a long time--I think they are likely to expend as much effort as needed to have it come off well.

"There will be pressure on Capcom to make it look better if not equal to Cube version."

Considering that Resident Evil 4 is easily one of the best looking console games ever made I find it really hard to believe that Capcom will be able to get the PS2 version to look as good as the Gamecue iteration. There is nothing now on PS2 that compares to it.

Now now let's not turn a RE4 thread into a <insert console> vs. <insert console> vs. <insert console> vs. <insert last gen's console> vs. <insert great grandfather's console> thread.

bas1975 said:
"There will be pressure on Capcom to make it look better if not equal to Cube version."

Considering that Resident Evil 4 is easily one of the best looking console games ever made I find it really hard to believe that Capcom will be able to get the PS2 version to look as good as the Gamecue iteration. There is nothing now on PS2 that compares to it.

That might be true, but it is also to be seen whether the good looks of this game have more to do with the artistic direction and design choices than to pure technical abilities the GC might have over the PS2.
Obviously there will be things that will have to be toned down or changed, i guess we'll have to wait and see how much time and resources Capcom will invest in the conversion.

The Demento from Capcom coming to PS2 looks quite good, at least from the screenshots. NOt quite as "clean" as RE4, but I think that'll be about the quality the PS2 port will be.
I wonder would they be able to use much of the same engine in PS2 RE4 as in Demento.

The biggest problem I think the PS2 will have is the lighting and maintaing a high polygon count. The Cube doesn't take a hit on polygon count because of its 8 hardware lights.

Ooh-videogames said:
The biggest problem I think the PS2 will have is the lighting and maintaing a high polygon count. The Cube doesn't take a hit on polygon count because of its 8 hardware lights.

Errm it's not that simple, but anyway, yeah, PS2 will have trouble displaying the same number of high-res textures AND the same number of polygons AND the same level of lighting as the GC does all at the same time.

oh. well... duh... ;)

edit:

When I said "high polygon counts + low res textures", I was talking relatively, for consoles. Texture res in RE4 is low enough, but to think of even lower...

Alstrong said:
oh. well... duh... ;)

edit:

When I said "high polygon counts + low res textures", I was talking relatively, for consoles. Texture res in RE4 is low enough, but to think of even lower...

Well, pretty much every PS2 game has lower detailed textures than RE4 on GC. Maybe with a very few exceptions, so i don't think it's a huge deal for PS2 owners to have a game with the same resolution textures as other games, but everything else like RE4 on GC. I wouldn't complain.

Also i forgot to mention, some people started a rumour that the GC version already is a toned down version of the original game, in order for the 2 versions (the GC and the PS2 versions) to look more similar than they would look if the original were to be properly coded to the metal for GC, because Capcom knew from the beginning they would have released a Ps2 version at one point...

Now, i have no idea how true that will turn out to be, but if it is remotely true, then the Ps2 could be even closer to the GC version than many people think.

We'll see.

Back