Resident Evil 5 - Alternative Edition

What is it? Is this the extra content that was supposed to be in the directors cut that is coming out for the new PS3 motion controller?

so it looks like a remake of the first game will be included as well, i'm begining to think it was a good idea just to rent res5 the first time i think i will buy this at some point next year!

Kinda uncomfortable using 2 different controllers to play the game.

What, you mean like the wiimote plus nunchuck?

I don't think people should be so down on the wand plus DS3 idea. It's actually a pretty clever use of what's available. Much better than requiring people to go buy a nunchuck which will literally be half a dual shock. I know it seems like a clumsy solution, but if you stabilize it against your leg or stomach while playing it should work just fine.

Woe be unto the developer who tries to use the accelerometer in the DS3 while it's being dual-wielded, I guess.
You can defend it as a cheap stopgap, but please don't call it clever.

Woe be unto the developer who tries to use the accelerometer in the DS3 while it's being dual-wielded, I guess.
That'd be poor design. The DS3 combo would sensibly only be used for the analogue stick and buttons. The ergonomics are completely wrong to use it's motion capabilities too.

What, you mean like the wiimote plus nunchuck?

I don't think people should be so down on the wand plus DS3 idea. It's actually a pretty clever use of what's available. Much better than requiring people to go buy a nunchuck which will literally be half a dual shock. I know it seems like a clumsy solution, but if you stabilize it against your leg or stomach while playing it should work just fine.

Agreed. Just grab the DS3 with two hands, and then remove your right hand. You'll immediately realise it's not that bad. And even motion controls use of the DS3 isn't as had as people make it out. I've played through half of both Motorstorm 1+2 that way.

If you want though, you can buy the 'nunchuck' bit for the PS3 now already, from SplitFish:

13082009401685_560.jpg

All they need to do is start selling the left part separately. :)

Agreed. Just grab the DS3 with two hands, and then remove your right hand. You'll immediately realise it's not that bad. And even motion controls use of the DS3 isn't as had as people make it out. I've played through half of both Motorstorm 1+2 that way.

If you want though, you can buy the 'nunchuck' bit for the PS3 now already, from SplitFish:

13082009401685_560.jpg

All they need to do is start selling the left part separately. :)

Nice ! At least this setup is less weird.

Announcing RE5 this way endorses the Wii port approach. If the control scheme is out of whack, the Wii conversion (on-paper) program won't fly. Therefore, I maintain that the current DS3 + wand dual wielding exercise is simply a stop gap.

Good catch. All the way back in June...

Arwin said:

Totally! I've got a Dual Shock right here on my desk. One-handed simple gestures are totally fine. Completely doable.

Good catch. All the way back in June...

Totally! I've got a Dual Shock right here on my desk. One-handed simple gestures are totally fine. Completely doable.

Its fine for a few minutes. Try holding it like that for a few hours though swinging it about. As long as you can rest it in your lap (which would be the case for most core games like RE5) it really is a perfectly fine solution if you ask me and plenty comfortable. For more casual games though where you are standing up its not practical, although on the wii such games rarely use the analogue stick anyway.

I was pretty down on the DS + Wand idea at first, but the more i think about it the more i warm to it. For games where you would be sitting/lying down its fine, other games are not likely to use the analogue stick anyhow.

Its fine for a few minutes. Try holding it like that for a few hours though swinging it about. As long as you can rest it in your lap (which would be the case for most core games like RE5) it really is a perfectly fine solution if you ask me and plenty comfortable. For more casual games though where you are standing up its not practical, although on the wii such games rarely use the analogue stick anyway.

Right. Like I said I played MotorStorm for hours like this - you only need really subtle tilting for steering in that game though. But the sixaxis is even better for this than the DS3, as the sixaxis weighs next to nothing thanks to not having the rumble motors. The sixaxis also worked fine with high velocity bowling type games actually. I think it's definitely possible to find some good combined use for the wand and the sixaxis.

I was pretty down on the DS + Wand idea at first, but the more i think about it the more i warm to it. For games where you would be sitting/lying down its fine, other games are not likely to use the analogue stick anyhow.

Yeah, that seems likely to me too. Well, we'll see. I'll definitely be getting two wands a.s.a.p. anyway. But I'm a big motion control fan, and I'm already happy with the support announced so far (LBP is a big one for me already, and I haven't played RE5 yet at all). Games like Point Blank and Time Crisis on the PS1 with the GunCon were a big highlight for me back then, and I look forward to being able to have a similar kind of experience again. I'd probably still occasionally be playing these games if I hadn't gotten a 100hz tv at some point (and then later an LCD).

Right. Like I said I played MotorStorm for hours like this - you only need really subtle tilting for steering in that game though. But the sixaxis is even better for this than the DS3, as the sixaxis weighs next to nothing thanks to not having the rumble motors. The sixaxis also worked fine with high velocity bowling type games actually. I think it's definitely possible to find some good combined use for the wand and the sixaxis.

Fair enough, though i did specifically say "swinging it about" ;)

I think for most games where it is used it will be fine. I do still hope they bring out a nunckuck designed for it, or a redesigned ds3, so that the people that dont mind spending the extra cash have the option. A break apart ds3 would be ideal as they could then phase out the old one and make it standard in all future consoles. A redesign would allow them to change the shape slightly aswell to make it more comfortable.

I think the break-apart DS3 would be a fairly unhappy compromise, unless the core two-handed controller design is reworked to support one-handed controllers too. Placement of the sitcks is far from ideal for one-handed control. I'd rather see a custom left-hand (needs to be switchable for lefties?) controller like Wii's nunchuck.

Any word on whether this AE/DC is going to be PS3 exclusive? I'm holding off buying the PC version because of the DC news.

Back