Resident Evil 5 AE/DC as DLC or standalone game?

Richard

Mord's imaginary friend
Veteran
Capcom is running a poll to see if people in the West would like it as DLC or as a standalone (and more expensive) SKU like in Japan. You need to be registered to vote.

This is what DLC was invented for so if you're sick & tired of death by nickle & dime and want DLC to achieve its (promised) potential vote. I've held off buying the PC version exactly because of rumours of this AE/DC version (and they still haven't said anything about a PC version for this :grrr: ).

I'm getting tired of expansions being sold as $60 games. L4D2 could easily be a $20 DLC (or free on the Pc side), same with ODST's campaign. Rockstar did it for the GTA4 DLC (though the $40 stand alone disc is great idea).

If you are just releasing some content for a released game/engine, make it DLC or add it in to a GOTY/director cut version like they are doing with Force Unleashed and Fallout 3.

Well, Valve said there were too many engine upgrades done to roll out Left 4 Dead 2 as DLC on 360. I'm sure they could have patched the PC version.

To me, it really depends on the length of the game, whether it justifies the money. If I'm getting something short with little replay, I'd prefer it stayed cheap and downloadable. I'm getting something with a standalone length campaign, I'm ok with a higher price tag even if there hasn't been much of a change in the game engine.

For lengthy DLC, I also like the option of physical media.

Sports games get away with yearly additions based on rosters and features, though they are milking it too. I don't think we need L4D 2008, 2009, 2010, etc.

Of course the people who rush out and buy these games are just encouraging the milking and hurting innovation. ODST was announced as a $40 expansion, then Bungie or MS did some market analysis and realized the hive would pay $60 and they were right.

I'll vote with my $$, but I'm outnumbered.

This really shouldn't even be a question. I believe the only reason they think it could sell as a standalone disc is because Madden fans and the like repeatedly buy full-priced rehashes of games that could be annually refreshed with DLC. SSFIV should be included in the poll, too. The age of Madden and Street Fighter rehashing should have come to an end now that we've entered the age of Rock Band and Fallout 3.

Ideally... a platinum hits edition & DLC, but... looks like best choice would be DLC... :p

The age of Madden and Street Fighter rehashing should have come to an end now that we've entered the age of Rock Band and Fallout 3.

Indeed. I'm a bit miffed they announced SSF4 measly weeks after I bought it for PC (remember the PC version came out months after the console) and from what we know it will only be available as a retail SKU. I love SF4 but I'm not about to buy the same game again just because they've added 7 new characters, most of which I don't care much about. SF4 needs new stages (one stage per character ought to have been in the original game) and balancing tweaks and maybe DeeJay and THawk to appease my old nostalgic self. That's a 10euro DLC right there.

Besides, you just know that if SSF4 is successful, they'll be whipping out SSF4T in 6 months anyway.

This is a follow-up now that Capcom have decided this AE/DC content will be available in DLC form in NA & Europe. Good decision but still no word on the PC version :)grrr: ) and I wish they did the same with SSF4 content. Still, thanks for listening to the community Capcom.

It will also be available as a Gold Edition next year. PS3 will include the DLC on disc, X360 will include a voucher.

Everybody wins.

Good decision but still no word on the PC version :)grrr: ) and I wish they did the same with SSF4 content. Still, thanks for listening to the community Capcom.

Seemed like a PR move, a good one. As IST mentioned, it'll be on disc in the west as well... well, the PS3 one since the 360 edition is getting a voucher. I have the Japanese version so getting the DLC would mean getting a $40 PSN card so I'll just get the NA version in March.

I'm holding out on SSFIV since the producer mentioned that there will be something for existing users.

Anyone know when the DLC will be available? I'm hoping the DLC isn't going to be $60.

Why would the DLC be $60 when the full Gold Edition will be $50? Anyway, it's out in mid Feb in Japan for 500Y per scenario and 200Y (IIRC) per costume pack. No word on the western pricing yet.

Why would the DLC be $60 when the full Gold Edition will be $50? Anyway, it's out in mid Feb in Japan for 500Y per scenario and 200Y (IIRC) per costume pack. No word on the western pricing yet.

Oh I didn't know the GE will be $50..that's good news.

Was looking for RE5 thread, and this is the latest:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...ent-evil-5-gold-edition-and-playstation-move/

Capcom released a free update for Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition owners that implements new control options into the game which provide a more immersive and intuitive experience. Now you can use the PlayStation Move controller to aim with ease as you take down the hoards of Majini that have taken over Kijuju.

Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition is available in stores now and in addition to the entire Resident Evil 5 experience, the Gold Edition includes two new episodes, four new costumes, an online Versus Mode, and a newly reworked Mercenaries Reunion mode. The PlayStation Move motion controller works with all modes.

Back