Researchers Use PlayStation Cluster to Forge a Web Skeleton Key

Discussion in 'CellPerformance@B3D' started by patsu, Dec 30, 2008.

1. patsu

Legend

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/12/berlin.html

2. Carl B

Carl B Friends call me xbd
    Moderator Legend

Patsu incidentally thanks for keeping some threads going in here lately, I've been way way distracted (and recently sick). :)

Yeah, I saw this today (just now actually) and I was like, this is crazy. It's going to be some positive light on the Cell out of nowhere that's for sure, and the creation of the false certificate itself, I mean wow serious implications.

Here's a link to the actual research release by the group:

http://www.win.tue.nl/hashclash/rogue-ca/

As well as an indication of just how important/grave this discovery was:

3. patsu

Legend

No problem !

I'm in Chapter 9 of the Cell Programming book, installed YDL 6.1. Have been scanning for Cell information anyway.

The incident is indeed major. Corporate infrastructures that rely on PKI are probably getting a quick internal review/audit now :)

4. pcchen

pcchen Moderator
    Moderator Veteran Subscriber

It's a very tremendous oversight of Verisign that they still used MD5 for their certificates. MD5 was broken for more than a year and no one should use MD5 for any purpose anymore. Even SHA-1 is not trusted very well anymore and NIST is holding a contest for a next generation secure hash function.