Request for "last login" mod facility

Simon F

Tea maker
Veteran
Supporter
G'day all,
(I know I requested the following a year or so ago but.....)

Recently I've found that the forums are getting confused about my "last visit" times and so aren't correctly keeping track of what I have and haven't read. For example, this morning it came to the conclusion that my last visit was the same current time.

Would it be possible to add a set of, say, 3 "links/buttons" that can reset the last visit time to 1hr, 1 day, or 1 week in the past?

Apart from being a work-around for the aforementioned problem, this would be quite convenient for the times when, say, you are only looking for a specific topic and would like to come back later to browse at your leisure.

Cheers
Simon

I've had simillar problems with the forums not being able correctly tell when my last vist was.

Thats usually just a cookie error, or possibly an issue with the security settings. However, regardless of how you set the 'last visited' its likely to be suseptible to the same issue - I don't believe any last visit times are stored on the database.

I'm loathe to go far beyond the default configuration of the board because mods are a nightmare for support when new versions of the forum are released - I have enough trouble with the templates alone.

Dave,
Having looked further into the problem, it may be something to do with the
"phpbb2mysql_sid" cookie.

According to Netscape, this is supposed to only last a session but I've noticed that its string seems to stay constant for some number of sessions. While this is the case, the "last visit time" stays constant.

If I forcibly delete it (or it magically vanishes of its own accord) the forum seems to set the last visit time to "now" and so no new posts appear.

I thought about trying to decipher the format of that string to see if I can set it to an earlier time/date, but it doesn't appear to have any discernable pattern.

Do you visit other forums that use phpb2 Simon? I'm wondering if he cookie is picking up other session and getting confused. The "phpbb2mysql_sid" cookie is the default value for phpbb2 so I wonder if changing it to something more unique would help (although, it might screw up everyone else when they first visit again).

Do you visit other forums that use phpb2
No.... but perhaps the computer gets bored and reads the "what peripheral" boards from time to time;-)

Anyway it is associated with www.beyond3d.com so I don't think it should get confused. I did notice another temporary B3D cookie appearing occassionaly but that just seems to be a variant of the one that logs you in/identifies the visitor.

Back