Reputation and its influence on your posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reverend

Banned
:arrow: To the staff : Has it worked?

:arrow: To the participants : Are you/Have you been more careful with what you post?

:arrow: To everyone : Has it made the B3D forums less fun?

:arrow: If you regularly post OT posts in a specific forum (like stuff approaching what you think should qualify as a "joke", even if such specific forums are generally recognized as those where jokes aren't really encouraged), do folks vote against you reputation-wise? How do we know?

=> Why do some posters stay in the red when it seems quite obvious to me their latest round of posts warrant improved reputation?

=> And so (re the question above, directly), how "kiddy" is this reputation thing? Not that "kiddy" is necessarily bad here; heck, Dave probably sleeps hugging a teddy bear... but does this matter? If not, why the reputation thing?

Personally, I know the answer to 2 of the questions above but I have a feeling this doesn't really matter. To everyone.

PS. This board should allow more than 4 images, as far as allowed "smilies" are concerned!

As far as I am concerned, I post the way I want to post, without worrying about reputations etc. I don't take that into consideration when I engage in conversation with another forum member. I see the reputation level as a "reward" of some sorts because the said member has contributed good and infomative posts, and nothing else.

I could live without rep, though it can be fun sometimes (yes, looking at your disappeared points l-b ;))

EDIT: I also rarely give bad rep, 95% it's just green. And I also tend to give good rep if someone makes me laugh sincerely

To the participants : Are you/Have you been more careful with what you post?
Not really no.

To everyone : Has it made the B3D forums less fun?
Yeah. I don't think this is a good concept, people use it as punishment all too often, and often in a narrowminded fashion to boot.

Why do some posters stay in the red when it seems quite obvious to me their latest round of posts warrant improved reputation?
Not sure I know of any such people. ;)

Nevertheless, I think people are being stingy with the green when it comes to red/infamous posters, even if it may be well deserved for THAT particular post. In most cases I can't really blame anyone for that either.

And so (re the question above, directly), how "kiddy" is this reputation thing?
Not KIDDY, but it's used as a popularity meter/beatdown stick more than anything else. Instead of those who are knowledgeable get lots of green, it often gets awarded for lots of other reasons instead. I know of several extremely knowledgeable programmer types in the console forum in particular who pretty much always write well-founded and interesting posts that have only one or two green dots. Then look at many of those with high, or extremely high rep, and not knocking anybody here hehe because I am talking about myself as well, and most of us can't come anywhere close to that level of knowledge.

Hands up who else has been neg-repped for pointing out recent Star Trek as the utter tripe it is? :LOL:

Fodder said:
Hands up who else has been neg-repped for pointing out recent Star Trek as the utter tripe it is? :LOL:

you're just begging for it aren't you. :devilish:

Just kidding, wasn't me. ;)

Fodder said:
PLEASE don't tell me you're dissing "Enterprise" when people are still able to anonymously rep you.... :devilish:

( ;) Nah, I haven't even watched them all yet. ;) )

Reverend said:
To the participants : Are you/Have you been more careful with what you post?

Not really.

To everyone : Has it made the B3D forums less fun?

Nope.

=> Why do some posters stay in the red when it seems quite obvious to me their latest round of posts warrant improved reputation?

Indifference I guess? I don't use/care too much about the system.. and I suspect this is true for a majority of the forumers.
=> And so (re the question above, directly), how "kiddy" is this reputation thing? Not that "kiddy" is necessarily bad here; heck, Dave probably sleeps hugging a teddy bear... but does this matter? If not, why the reputation thing?

Somewhat.. although it has identified some of the people it was meant to flag. Turtle 1 for instance... this forumer has a tendency to post moronic statements and put an ATI logo on literally every post (clear ATI bias, but its worse at times...)

In essense... it is nearly useless the way it is structured.. perhaps moderators should have more control (power/influence) over this or something.

I'm surprised I haven't gotten that much further on my rep.. someday I'll get a second bar... :???: ;)

trinibwoy said:
There's a new Star Trek?
There is? Where? There's a thread?

Fodder said:
Hands up who else has been neg-repped for pointing out recent Star Trek as the utter tripe it is?
Certain Sci-Fi shows are not for certain people... go figure.

digitalwander said:
PLEASE don't tell me you're dissing "Enterprise" when people are still able to anonymously rep you....
Enterprise was the worst show of the whole series... but I still liked it.. The scripts weren't too inspiring though... TNG was magnitudes better.

Last edited by a moderator:
It hasn't changed my posts or my view of the forums. I'm debating disabling it, though, until someone like zeckensack/Demirug/DeanoC/nAo/Xmas/Uttar/etc. scores roughly an order of magnitude higher than me. Just seeing myself in SimonF's rep league seems slightly sinister.

Pffft, it's all a popularity contest.

But much love to my rep benefactors. :devilish:

Pete said:
I'm debating disabling it, though, until someone like zeckensack/Demirug/DeanoC/nAo/Xmas/Uttar/etc. scores roughly an order of magnitude higher than me. Just seeing myself in SimonF's rep league seems slightly sinister.
So, it should be obvious that I should disable mine already based on a similar consideration...?

Pete said:
It hasn't changed my posts or my view of the forums. I'm debating disabling it, though, until someone like zeckensack/Demirug/DeanoC/nAo/Xmas/Uttar/etc. scores roughly an order of magnitude higher than me. Just seeing myself in SimonF's rep league seems slightly sinister.

Pffft, it's all a popularity contest.

But much love to my rep benefactors. :devilish:

Some people keep repeating that, and it's true that real developers and amazing posters like the ones you mentioned have low rep, but the reason for that is that they really don't post much.

Personally i ALWAYS rep them up whenever i see one of their posts, cause they usually really make very useful posts.
Because not a lot of people use the rep system, and the ones that do, rarely use it, it's easy to see why posters like DeanoC and nAo, who post something like once a week, get missed in the thousands of useless posts that fill up this forum. It's only normal, and from my side, i always try to bump them up when i can. They're just never around.

I forgot we had a rep system.
Thanks for bringing it up Rev. :p

I'm not sure it does anything. People will always be themselves.
Getting me to think more than a micro-second before posting would be like trying to change the weather.

_xxx_ said:
But they surely have enough old posts out there for repping? ;)

I know, tell that to the rest of the rep-giving forum! I think the rep points they have is all due mainly to my big... power...

london-boy said:
Personally i ALWAYS rep them up whenever i see one of their posts, cause they usually really make very useful posts.
Because not a lot of people use the rep system, and the ones that do, rarely use it, it's easy to see why posters like DeanoC and nAo, who post something like once a week, get missed in the thousands of useless posts that fill up this forum. It's only normal, and from my side, i always try to bump them up when i can. They're just never around.
Me too. There are just some names on the board that really deserve to have a bunch of greens but they don't because they don't post much, I give them rep bumps over almost ANYTHING they post just to try and get it "in balance".

"With great power comes great responsibility", and all that other rot.

As I've said many times, more than three green squares are useless for the purposes required, and just engender jealousy as evidenced by this thread. I have no idea if the software allows that kind of limit, however.

It'd also be great if rep power could be limited at say 7,000 posts, somewhat above "Regular" status, so as to level that out a bit. Again tho, the software's flexibility is probably the limiting factor here.

Looking at the first two pages out of 243 (top 1%), I see JR (reviewer), Hanners (reviewer), Humus, Jawed, tEd, SimonF, MuFu (who has had some very interesting tidbits over the years), Uttar, DeanoC, aaronspink, Ailuros, nAo, Catalyst Maker, Xmas, and Kombatant (reviewer).

This is so terrible?

There are some others that should be up there, and personally I rep 'em when I see 'em, but you've got to see them to rep them. I don't hang out in CF much, so no doubt I miss some worthy posters there.

But if the jealousy is about *me* being on top, then fine --Wavey, I give you leave to knock me back by several hundred points. Fine with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back