Reputation, again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am turning rep on.. (did not like the original system but the new systems seems quite neat-o) I think I like the sound of the new system.

If someone can tell me how I can find out who repped me that would be nice since it seems I have accrued a small amount over the past year or so without realising it.

EDIT: I see it all the rep points now and have had a stroll down memory lane.. the good days.. "ahhh."
Thanks for all the reps guys :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the rep system will ever work as originally intended by any website owners. At one time, I used to ignore the rep system at this site but later I thought I could give it a try but no matter what I think or post, it is a "too handy" or "too emotionally driven" or "impulsive" tool.

IMO, even the "veterans" no longer respect the tool. Example :

In this thread, I received a neg-rep from someone that has posted a lot in this forum (as you read, I don't think it matters if I checked which particular forums this person frequently posts in.... sufficient to say not in forums that this site is about, 3D), with the reason given being "Thank you so much for sharing. :rolleyes:". He also participated in that thread.

Note the forum that thread I created resides in. Note his neg-rep reason. The person that neg-repped me, IMO, has never shared any of his (possiblle but improbable) 3D knowledge.

Of course, I "dutifully" posted later on what he wanted me to "share", although I doubt he cared nor understood at all what it all meant to him.

Maybe he was also interested in what JC, the person, had to say (to me) but IMO I thought, for the targetted audience that forum obviously is for, it matters more what JC implemented rather than the fact that JC simply emailed me some info.

I'm sorry to bring this up but it bothers me that this happens, and that a site staff (that replied to a PM of mine complaining and expanding about this particular neg-rep) can reply with a "TLDR" (too long, didn't read) PM.

My history here, in case that prompts certain folks to completely ignore the legilibity or relevance of any of my posts, should not be a reason for the rep system here to fail to work or be abiused. This goes the same for anyone else that has had a bad reputation (like me, deservedly I might add) but I think that unless we can continually re-vise judgements on anyone based solely on every new post that bad-rep person continues to make (rather than on preconceptions due to his past posting history/conduct), then the rep system here will not work the way I think it is supposed to work. Sure, it attempts to enhance a "feel good, part of a community" feeling.... but I would like to know if this is the intention of the site staff or owner when it comes to the rep system...

I hope I didn't step on anyone's toes. Just expressing my opinion on the rep system. This is, after all, Site Feedback :)

Across the entire site, how many reps do you suppose are given every week? Did Ted Williams suck in 1941 because he failed nearly 59.4% of the time? Nothing that has a mass of numbers associated with it is incapable of being demagogued with anecdotes.

I don't think the rep system will ever work as originally intended by any website owners. At one time, I used to ignore the rep system at this site but later I thought I could give it a try but no matter what I think or post, it is a "too handy" or "too emotionally driven" or "impulsive" tool.

IMO, even the "veterans" no longer respect the tool. Example :

In this thread, I received a neg-rep from someone that has posted a lot in this forum (as you read, I don't think it matters if I checked which particular forums this person frequently posts in.... sufficient to say not in forums that this site is about, 3D), with the reason given being "Thank you so much for sharing. :rolleyes:". He also participated in that thread.

Note the forum that thread I created resides in. Note his neg-rep reason. The person that neg-repped me, IMO, has never shared any of his (possiblle but improbable) 3D knowledge.

Of course, I "dutifully" posted later on what he wanted me to "share", although I doubt he cared nor understood at all what it all meant to him.

Maybe he was also interested in what JC, the person, had to say (to me) but IMO I thought, for the targetted audience that forum obviously is for, it matters more what JC implemented rather than the fact that JC simply emailed me some info.

I'm sorry to bring this up but it bothers me that this happens, and that a site staff (that replied to a PM of mine complaining and expanding about this particular neg-rep) can reply with a "TLDR" (too long, didn't read) PM.

My history here, in case that prompts certain folks to completely ignore the legilibity or relevance of any of my posts, should not be a reason for the rep system here to fail to work or be abiused. This goes the same for anyone else that has had a bad reputation (like me, deservedly I might add) but I think that unless we can continually re-vise judgements on anyone based solely on every new post that bad-rep person continues to make (rather than on preconceptions due to his past posting history/conduct), then the rep system here will not work the way I think it is supposed to work. Sure, it attempts to enhance a "feel good, part of a community" feeling.... but I would like to know if this is the intention of the site staff or owner when it comes to the rep system...

I hope I didn't step on anyone's toes. Just expressing my opinion on the rep system. This is, after all, Site Feedback :)
/me mounts in trophy cabinet. :)

Across the entire site, how many reps do you suppose are given every week? Did Ted Williams suck in 1941 because he failed nearly 59.4% of the time? Nothing that has a mass of numbers associated with it is incapable of being demagogued with anecdotes.
If what you're saying is to not worry too much about the rep system, then perhaps something should be done about the intrusiveness of the rep bar.

...complains, complains...

You know, if you'd just try being a more laid-back and open kind of person instead of acting so needy for the spotlight, your rep would go through the roof very fast.

Chasing something usually scares it away, y'know.

This may seem unbelievable to you and a few others but I don't actively seek the "spotlight".

I do admit I can be unpopular for being vociferously out-spoken at times but I get the feeling that the fact that a few well-known developers don't mind trading emails with me (and when I post such correspondences as I see fit) seem to strike a nerve with some folks here. I don't post these correspondences for the reason trinibwoy's says; I post them if and when I think they may be interesting to everyone here. If I were seeking the "spotlight", I would probably post every single email correspondence I have had with JC (being the most prime example) but that isn't the case.

Now, I may be wrong (and please tell me so if I'm wrong; and be honest about it) but I think certain individuals may be envious of the fact that JC sees it OK to email me. A long time ago, every single email reply from JC was akin to striking gold to me. It has been like a dozen years since JC's first email to me. With time, frequency and regularity of trading emails, I (still) treat JC with a lot of respect but like I said, there could an issue regarding perception -- the veterans here have known for a long time JC replies my emails now-and-then and therefore IMO they should treat this as normal. I mention perception because I was very surprised when one of the veterans here said I was "bragging" ( you must know which thread this refers to by now). Rather than a "Oh cool, JC emails regularly a member of this B3D community and that guy posts them here and only here now and then" mentality, he takes the view of me "bragging". And IMO, in hindsight and to be really honest with myself, I only say someone is bragging if he has something I don't have or desire (correct me if I'm wrong).

If I said that I view JC as "another game programmer", that could probably be read as being less than respectful. I know many here and elsewhere wouldn't describe him as that, and certainly many treat him like some extremely elusive 3D God (or hermit), but I have become quite familiar with him and especially his habits regarding trading emails with him and I now treat him the same way I treat any other game developers, with respect, no more no less for one or the other.

Like I said, I think it's a metter of perception.

Since a couple (and surely more) of this site's staff seem to have an unfavourable preconception about me (see Ingenu and Tim Murray comments in the thread links above), I justed wanted to respond to _xxx_'s comments above.

I don't actively seek attention. I just speak my mind once in a while and I try to inform the forum here what certain individuals in this industry emails me. If my posting of what folks like JC or Sweeney or Tarolli or Kirk or etc, etc emails me results in many of you not liking me, tell me this is so and I will stop.

And No, I am not a drama queen despite the contents of this post!! :) :) (Kruno certainly, but not me!).

I just want to be well-liked. Maybe Geo's comment really have some kinda deep profound meaning....

PS. Mods, I don't know if all of the aboive have anything to do with the topic regarding reputation. I think it does because I think the reputation-givers-and-takers should understand a poster before giving + or - points. Just MHO.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the vast majority of ppl here really don't care about your correspondence with JC.

As I was telling Bill Gates just the other day, constant name dropping is sooooo borish.

It's so needy, so trying too hard to be the centre of attention. That's what turns most people off right away. That whole "wanting to be liked" because of who you are (slightly) acquainted with is just an inherent weakness of character. Like all weaknesses, the predators can sense it and close in for the kill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back