Report: Microsoft Makes Big Cuts At Flight Sim Studio

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by obonicus, Jan 23, 2009.

1. obonicus

Veteran

Report: Microsoft Makes Big Cuts At Flight Sim Studio

At least this time they didn't buy the studio, put them on a Halo game and then dissolve it.

2. Davros

Legend

didnt buy fsx, but the release before that combat flight simulator 3 was poor

3. Florin

Florin Merrily dodgy
    Veteran Subscriber

Most unfortunate. Surely they could've fired some Live, Sharepoint or Xbox or some other soulless product people instead? To axe the developers from their one redeeming franchise, that's just makes me a really sad puppy :(

4. PhilTaylor

Newcomer

5. Davros

Legend

what 2 other great long running franchises have died under microsoft
    mechwarrior
    wing commander

how could you microsoft.....

6. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

EA killed Wing Commander, not MS.

MS did recently kill the Age of <insert> RTS franchise from Ensemble, though. Fuckers.

7. Davros

Legend

true, but starlancer/freelancer were a continuation of the universe and they killed digital anvil who made tham

8. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Sigh, and now Ensemble is gone. :(

VERY sad to see them go. Age of Empires I and II were a couple of the best RTS games ever.

And the new Halo RTS on X360 looks incredible. Too bad it isn't coming to PC.

I think all these cuts are an indication that MS is going to focus on consoles in the future and plans to cut out all/most of it's PC Games developement.

If the 2 studios formed by Ensemble employees goes on to do PC games and no console games that might explain why the studio was cut.

Such a shame. Wasn't Crimson Skies also a MS helmed game?

Also not surprised at Freelancer and Mechwarrior going to pot. Space sims in general were dying/dead when Freelancer came out. Sad... I always loved cheesy Space Sim storylines.

And the Mechwarrior (in fact all giant robot franchises) were in serious decline. FASA's Mechwarrior III was the greatest entry in the series and yet it barely sold any copies. Mechwarrior has a brief resurgence on Xbox but not enough to carry the franchise forward.

I'm STILL in complete shock over the Flight Sim crew however. The series has had a rocky road it's entire life and even though flight sims in general are dying, I never expected the Flight Sim series to die. Still in shock.

Regards,
    SB

#8 Silent_Buddha, Feb 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2009
  9. obonicus

Veteran

FS doesn't seem dead. I read news yesterday that there are some 6 expansions being planned. I guess MS wants to outsource game development?

10. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Hmmm, so maybe MS just doesn't want to be a first party PC game dev? And just publish 2nd/3rd party games using their licenses?

I hope Ensemble lives on in another form. I've loved all their games, although AoE 3 not as much as AoE 1 and 2 and AoM.

Regards,
    SB

11. catisfit

Regular

I don't think they are official MS expansions though, are they? There was the Acceleration pack but most expansions are 3rd party. There are tons of companies (such as JustFlight) who exist only to create expansions for FS. AFAIK they are continuing with the ones they had planned for FSX regardless of the studio closure, but they don't know what the plan is after those are completed (next year).

So FSX as a platform doesn't seem dead (for a while yet at least), but the codebase is static and no development is currently being undertaken. I understand there was an attempt by the team to buy the FS IP and continue development but it was denied by MS, so it doesn't sound like MS are too keen on just publishing the game if it is developed externally either.

It just looks like in the current rush to reduce costs, the FS team stuck out a little higher than anybody else. It's possible that in a year or so if things have settled down it might get resurrected.

If not, then FSX is an astonishing product and a fitting legacy.

12. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Well outright buying and owning the IP is a bit different than licensing the IP for developement to be then published by the owner of the IP.

Bioware for example didn't own the IP to Star Wars or AD&D when they made those respective games.

I don't imagine MS is keen on actually selling any of their game IP. But as to whether they are now looking to license for 2nd or 3rd party development of those IPs, is unknown.

Regards,
    SB

13. catisfit

Regular

I should have written it better - I meant "buying the IP and/or continuing development". It's 3rd hand information anyway so you should treat it with a pinch of salt, let alone take my wording as gospel.

14. ShaidarHaran

ShaidarHaran hardware monkey
    Veteran

Jeez how did I miss this one?

My condolences to the ex-Aces employees. I can only hope MS doesn't kill off FS. This franchise has been a huge part of my life and I would hate to see FSX be the last version of FS as there's still so much work to be done. Not that FSX is a poor product by any means, just that there are many things I would like to see yet in FS.