Replacement X16xx

Malo

Yak Mechanicum
Legend
Supporter
My daughters 9800Pro exploded (literally) so I want to give her my video card (X1600Pro 512) and get a replacement for myself. Trying to decide between a X1650Pro 512 or a X1600XT 256 for the price range I want. Note: AGP only so limited in selection.

Recommendations on which would be the better purchase? I'm assuming that the faster XT with the GDDR3 would outweigh the difference between the 256 and 512 RAM.

And please no Nv recommendations, tried that recently on my wifes and had nothing but trouble. Staying with ATI for now, far less driver and video quality issues.

Price range you are looking at? That would be easier for us, as potentially a card that you thought was not possible might be, such as a X1950GT or Pro.

Been looking at the X1950's but they're a bit higher than I wanted to spend. Looking around the $130-160 range. Don't really want to spend much at all as im "satisfied" with what I have and want to eventually build a new supercomputer 6 months down the track.

I can get a X1650XT 256 for around the $160 mark and X1650Pro 512 for $140ish.

Digi, there's only one X1950GT on Newegg, its $150 and PCIe.

As for the X16xx based cards, I personally would suggest picking up this X1650 Pro for $120. You really do not need 512MB on a card of this type, you'd never use it.

If you're stuck on those two, then I'd go forr the XT. The higher clock speeds will result in better performance, and the 512 MB of vram is unlikely to be used well -- Usually, when you want to use Hi-Q texture sets -- what games have such demanding ones? Ones that won't run very well on an x1600! So I'd stick with the 256 MB card. If you want to save money, get a 256 MB x1650pro, in fact. but I'd prob go for:

$180 HIS x1950pro AGP if you're going to splurge, splurge. ;)

or on the low end (if save, save!):

$110 sapphire x1650pro w/actual GDDR3 (be careful with some of those newegg spec listings, they can be wrong /outdated. the reviews usually clear it up tho.

Yeah, the extra ~$20 for an AGP X1650XT (RV560) or extra ~$60 for an AGP X1950Pro (RV570) should make quite a difference and boost the price/performance ratio over RV530, as both X1600Pro and X1650Pro are saddled with 400MHz GDDR2 (12.8GB/s) versus ~22GB/s bandwidth on RV560 and ~45GB/s on RV570.

Not to toot my own horn, but note that the Sapphire I linked to up there has 512 MB of GDDR3 running at 1.4 gigs. ;) it's basically an x1600xt for $110, as far as i can tell...

Thanks for the advise folks, basically what I thought, go for the XT. Will do some checking on that HIS X1650XT 256 as it's got a nice design with the exhaust, however some of those reviews don't bode well with incompatibilities with standard drivers (sounds iffy to me, thought they would all basically use reference drivers).

Will also check out that X1650 with the DDR3...

edit: checking some of the other HIS card reviews, seems a few issues with drivers. No way I am getting a card that doesn't work with ATIs drivers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually that Sapphire X1650Pro GDDR3 looks fantastic for the price. According to Sapphires site and many reviews around, it's a 600Mhz core (which makes sense for a 1650) not a 450. And the price can't be beat...

Thanks poopypoo!

Yeah but the indications of the HIS cards that normal ATI drivers don't work with them really scares me off. I'd never buy a card that required manufacturer customized drivers instead of ATI ones. And it's not just newegg reviews that mention it multiple times on multiple models.

seeing there is a very good chance that the x1950 will be the fastest agp card that will ever be released i would pay the extra and get one

Well my whole intention was to pay as little as possible for performance similar or slightly better than what I had, and the X1650pro I got fit that bill. I've yet to do some comprehensive testing but I've started getting bsod's and reboots in Vanguard now since I got the new card, where my 1600pro was fine before.

Vanguard would have to be one of the most buggy and incompatible games I've ever seen, but at least I was mostly stable beforehand.

I've only got basic ATI drivers and CCC running atm. I'll be installing tray tools to do some testing tonight, with the artifact tester. And possibly lowering the clock/mem if there is a problem. Thats what your referring to dig?

No, it's just I've had a few goofy locks/hangs/games refuse to fire up if Tray Tools is running. If I close it, it all works again.

I use Tray Tools, I just don't keep it running in the systray. Everything works fine for me as long as I don't have it running, if it's running games crash and I can't play videos.

Back