Rendering a Nuclear Explosion with HDR

pat777

Newcomer
I want to see HDR used to render a nuclear explosion. I wonder if we have enough HDR to render a nuclear explosion. A nuclear explosion is pretty bright. I'm not sure if HDR is even enough.

Chalnoth said:
Heh. You're going to be limited by your display hardware before you're limited by FP16.
There must be some way around this display limit. Maybe LCDs will help.

pat777 said:
Chalnoth said:
Heh. You're going to be limited by your display hardware before you're limited by FP16.

Umm LCD's are dimmer than CRT's. Heh and if a monitor was bright enough for a nuclear explosion you would also be blinded :p

Cryect said:
pat777 said:
Chalnoth said:

Umm LCD's are dimmer than CRT's.
I never owned an LCD moniter before but according to this they are brighter.
http://www.monitorsdirect.com/before/expert/jims_corner/lcd_faqs.shtml
Brightness: Is an LCD monitor brighter than a CRT monitor?
Yes. CRT's illuminate by shooting electrons at points of phosphor, and LCD's use a florescent backlight. LCD's are typically more than 2 times the brightness of a CRT monitor, however a CRT's contrast and color richness can be more stunning than a LCD's.

Crrect, lcd is typically brighter than crt, its the black levels that lcd displays have difficulty with.

That really doesn't matter for what you are asking, perhaps if you used a 2000watt projector and aimed it directly into your eye you could achieve the effect you are looking for.

AlphaWolf said:
Crrect, lcd is typically brighter than crt, its the black levels that lcd displays have difficulty with.

That really doesn't matter for what you are asking, perhaps if you used a 2000watt projector and aimed it directly into your eye you could achieve the effect you are looking for.
But I want to see this effect in games.

Well, HDR really doesn't give the capability of displaying bright brights and dark darks. Not only is the display hardware just not designed for those levels of high dynamic range, but we really wouldn't want to do that sort of thing. For example, if things get really dark in the game, well, you just won't be able to see them at all if there's any other source of light in the room.

No, a better use of HDR would be to simulate our own human reaction to bright and dark, but keep the average brightness roughly constant (there should be some time delay, of course). Our eyes attempt to compensate for bright/dark environments by limiting the amount of light that enters our eyes. In dark environments, we see more monochrome, and more color in bright environments. Using tone mapping, one can map the high range of brightness in the framebuffer to the monitor's possible display range, such that, for example, a bright light shining in one's eyes dims the rest of the image (not immediately: at first it would just bleed over the rest of the image, simulating the temporary blindness suddenly turning on a bright light would cause).

Hmmm then all the LCD's I've seen and used have sure seem dimmer to me. Prolly due to the lower contrast I guess. But right now looking at an old 17" monitor and a 171P I would swear the whites are brighter on the CRT.

In my experience LCD's are brighter because to get a highly accurate picture on a CRT you have to drop the brightness down.

(e.g. if you have an Iiyama monitor, you wouldn't use anything but Text mode for working on the desktop even though it is about half the perceived brightness of the Picture and Video modes).

Well if your CRT whites aren't brilliant enough you could always try DAZ ULTRA.

Take the Daz Desktop Challenge!

Anyway, if you have HDR bright enough to rener a nuke then you would probably burn your face off lol

Dave B(TotalVR) said:
Well if your CRT whites aren't brilliant enough you could always try DAZ ULTRA.

Does that also come in DAZ GT and DAZ SE editions?

(Sorry, I'll get my coat).

I think LCD's can have a higher average luminance, where as a CRT can have a high peak value, but will groan with a solid white screen for example. However the high peak ability gives CRT's a very high potentual contrast ratio, which is why CRT's can still look better than the best currently available digital display methods, although this is being whittled away at by newer techs like DLP and LCOS.

Anyway, what you think going blind as a result of letting the enemy drop a nuke on you will enhance gameplay ?!! ;-)

John

picture mode doesn't lose any definition on my pro454 although video looks like crap but then it does anywhere, the beam spot size doesn't seem to vary with how bright it is.

I think one of the main limits on crt brightness is the power the electron gun can produce. The more power the shorter it's life, also iiyama recommend not to leave picture mode on desktop screens etc for long periods of time as it also may cause a whole load of other unwanted effects (burn in, purity loss etc)

There's also a far bigger reason for not using picture mode on desktop and that's just that it's far too bright. Most LCDs are far too bright at their maximums, even in bright rooms you'd rarely want more than 200nits, most rooms would be more than fine with the 100nit that a normal crt produces for desktop work. LCDs with brightness ratings of 400nit etc are just silly, remove the eye strain from flicker and add it back in by blinding the user instead. :?

Back