Removing unwanted resolutions and refresh rates from Nvidia drivers?

kyleb

Veteran
Is there a way to get rid of refresh rates and resolutions in Nvidia drivers? I'm primary trying to get Metal Gear Rising: Revenge to run at something better than 24hz, but I'd also like to ditch all the refresh rate options other than 60hz as that's what my display refreshes at internally, and also remove the interlaced options and some weird aspect resolutions which I've no use for.

I think I could do that back in the days with rivatuner.. or not. What I really did was to create a custom res for my CRT that only existed at 85Hz, so even if Windows XP thought I had to be stuck in 60Hz, and I had no "refresh fix" or refresh forcing tool installed or working, it was tricked into running the game at 85Hz.

As a dirty fix you can run the game at e.g. 1600x900 with monitor doing the scaling, assuming 24Hz doesn't exist at that res, or last resort create a similar res which exists only at 60Hz.

Maybe Powerstrip is able to delete reses, I don't know. Or going the "monitor driver" route, fake/edited EDID that pretends the monitor only accepts 60Hz.

Back