Remember that one thread I started.....

linthat22

Regular
.....where I said I hated my job?

Well, they "terminated" me today. Luckily it was at 4:49pm, so I was able to dodge a lot of evening traffic.

It sucks getting fired, but man did I feel relieved. They paid me for the rest of the week and gave me two weeks severance pay. It was really strange, my new boss said "You didn't do anything wrong, but you're not giving 100% and work is piling up. And with our company growing, you'll always be far behind."

Now get this, I was hired on to do Architectural drafting and they knew when they hired me that I had no experience other than using CAD. I told them that up front (before interview processes, it was on my resume cover letter). So, fast forward 7 months and the owner of the company asks me if I can build a house and I look him in the eyes and say "no" and he asks me to send him an email and he'll get me out in the field so I'll learn how to build a house. Well, I sent the email and I was never sent out to the field. Go figure.

I'm stumped on the "not giving a 100%" comment. Maybe because I didn't live at that place like my supervisor helped boot me out the door. I honestly can't see working 72 hours a week making 28k a year salary (no O.T.).

So.....hindsite is 20/20 and I wish I never took on that job, because I took a drastic pay cut and lost 3 weeks of vacation that I earned. But looking in the past will just hold me back. So wish me luck on my job hunting. I'm really excited. It's like a new beginning.

That job probably just wasn't for you. Good to see you optimistic though....you're going to find your place, and it will be a good feeling.

Cheer's:smile:

Consider it a good thing. I refuse to work more hours while having a baseline pay. The jobs that are salaried but have some overtime required with no extra compensation makes little sense to me. Why should one work more than regular and get nothing in return for their time?

You'll get a better job in the future doing something much more satisfying. What type of education do you have? If you've never been through college this may be a good time to look into gong to a community college of some sort and getting a better education.

Yeah, good luck on the search.

I often dream of getting sacked with a big pay-off (yeah, right!) but I know if it did happen I'd be crapping my pants.

Consider it a good thing. I refuse to work more hours while having a baseline pay. The jobs that are salaried but have some overtime required with no extra compensation makes little sense to me. Why should one work more than regular and get nothing in return for their time?

You'll get a better job in the future doing something much more satisfying. What type of education do you have? If you've never been through college this may be a good time to look into gong to a community college of some sort and getting a better education.

My background as far as education is that I have an Associates degree in Computer Science and I'm currently going to school to get a Bachelors in the Science of Organizational Management (vague huh?). Job wise, I'm all over the place though. We'll see. My wife told me to take it easy today, because I really haven't had a break this year, so who am I to argue? :)

Thank you all for the support.

YOu always seem like a pretty bright guy on the computer side of things. I'm sure you could be a bright guy on a lot of things, but given what little I know, I hope you can exploit that computer skill toward something a little more than CAD. Good luck in whatever you choose! :D

Good luck looking for a better job! I was in a similar situation a few years ago and I also quit prior to having a new job. It was a very good (though risky) decision which I never regretted.

I have good news. I have to take a test tomorrow for a phone company which is a good sign. I applied for a sales associate position at the phone company. And on Wednesday I have an interview for a managerial position at a home security monitoring facility.

I'm so excited!!!!

Wish me luck and pray for me!!

we have a 'consolidation' coming...december or march or july depending on who you ask. as i libertarian, im always wondering how my rebel nature weathers these times. im also a newly promoted and relatively under utilized DBA...but then again also still doing my old job just fine. boss (of 9 years) won't let on any foreshadowing...which is a little unnerving...but then, hey if they want to keep me, okay, if not....well they came to me with a 6 week contract. i didn't go to them. everything over 6 weeks has been gravy. besides i have 2/3 Oracle DBA courses under my belt! (almost ready to take exams)...and the thought of moving to some new area, well it has it's appeal...new life...

no wife, no kids...nothing holding me here but this job. what will be, will be!

Back