Reinvent school in VR

My goal is to unite people to reinvent our school systems with VR. I need all the input and support of this community and more to help make this happen. I need your help figuring out what the next steps are.

I see no reason why we couldnt make k-12, higher education, and trade schools in VR. Ontop of that we could eventually host them free for download and useable offline. This would offer the highest level of education world wide.

In the right hands we could have free school, all levels, in our homes. In the wrong hands this will be about money (like school currently is) and we all lose.

The plan: Use virtual reality (with touch) to reinvent our school systems. Classes/courses will be 1 on 1, hands on, and top of the line. no need for huge tuition costs or supplies. The capabilities of VR and physics in games as im sure you know are more than adequate for this idea.

Pay for it: if it costs $2m to make a single course, at $50 a download it would take 40,000 downloads to be paid for. At that point we remove the cost. In the US, K-12 costs $12k a student or $620b for 2012-13. College is average $20k x 20m students = another $400b. I feel like the cost of this idea would be minimal compared to our current plans.

My goals:
*reinvent k-12, higher edu, trade schools.
*eventually host them free for download
*majority of the classes can be used offline
*worldwide availability
*open certification centers
*raise the level of educated people everywhere.

Things needed:
*curriculum: education experts on each subject
*programmers out the yingyang (open source project for everyone to contribute?)
*hosting?
*funding: 50$ a download(remove fee once paid for) or donation based?
*maybe a face for this movement?

I am trying to make this dream a reality. Im thinking we need a national collaboration on this. If the right people come together we can make another giant leap for mankind. We should hand down our knowledge to future generations instead of charging them.
I am not trying to make money on this, I simply had an idea that is bigger than I am. I come to you asking for any help or guidance you can offer.

What are you planning on gaining in VR over 2D for cyber schooling?

In vr you have a new level of learning. I feel like most people learn from doing it hands on. Vr takes over your sences and puts you into it. Think of 2d as watching a play or tv, you see the stage and distractions. In vr the stage is gone. Watching someone do something and actually doing it yourself is a world of difference. Vr offers everything we need to get away from our current archaic and unnatural system of learning.

I feel like most people learn from doing it hands on.
I agree, which is why I think VR would be a terrible way of learning, at least at the current levels of technology. Maybe in a couple of decades.

VR would be good for something that might need to be visualized in 3 dimensions but otherwise it would be a terrible medium for schooling. At lot of involvement at school requires taking notes which would be much slower in VR unless everyone is expert non-visual touch typers. What are they going to do, scribble in VR? Terribly slow.

It would also be bad for the eyes having to be immersed in a headset environment for extended hours.

our current archaic and unnatural system of learning.
...which you want to simulate (somehow) in VR.

I think your idea could be good in some cases, but not all learning subjects need a hands on focus. Lots of studies rely on learning a huge amount of information which is not reproducible in a practical way because it's necessary for the student to prove their knowledge by writing it or presenting it via speech in exams, assignments, essays, etc.

Also, there's the physical barrier. For some people it wouldn't be feasible to spend several hours a day wearing VR goggles.

However, as I said, this could be a good idea for some studies and for people prepared to use VR equipment.

...which you want to simulate (somehow) in VR.
I would want to reinvent the school system not replicate. I see your point about things like high math not really taking advantage of vr. Also changing the guidelines would be ideal. A lot of what i learned is wasted because it was never used in the real world unless i got a job built around it(in that case i could learn it when needed). Another perspective would be places that dont offer this level of education. Say parts of china, all they would need is the headset(will be cheaper in a few years) and they could learn on our level in their home.

Jhaymond
What are your qualifications and your current job ?
I work maintenance at the local hospital. Im just a man with a dream. Im a problem solver and an optimist.

Malo, voice to text software? Or why not teach it so well that you dont have to take notes? How about a class that is material intensive like surgery? Unlimited cadavers. Working on cars or welding? Vr may be useless for things like higher math unless it has a real world application.

Last edited by a moderator:
I work maintenance at the local hospital.
So you have no skills in any of the areas that you would need skills in and you expect other people to do all the work for you for free

sorry for being harsh but
DAVROS : "I want to create a new airline that offers low cost travel. We could design and build our own planes that are fast and efficient, train our own pilots and open our own travel agents so we can sell tickets direct to the public cutting out the middle man"
B3D READERS : "Sounds good, what expertise do you have"
DAVROS : "None"
B3D READERS : "Do you have the money to pay for this"
DAVROS : "No"
B3D READERS : "Er we'll get back to you"

I agree, which is why I think VR would be a terrible way of learning, at least at the current levels of technology. Maybe in a couple of decades.

VR would be good for something that might need to be visualized in 3 dimensions but otherwise it would be a terrible medium for schooling. At lot of involvement at school requires taking notes which would be much slower in VR unless everyone is expert non-visual touch typers. What are they going to do, scribble in VR? Terribly slow.

It would also be bad for the eyes having to be immersed in a headset environment for extended hours.

Note-taking wouldn't be much of an issue with a mixed reality device like the Hololens.

Back