Regards Multiplatform Development/Comparison and Neverending Scaling Discussions.

Been busy (with Gears 2 :p ).

The rules posts for the two IQ/Resolution threads are a great example of what the game tech and framerate threads need (thanks Vys!). And I do agree that they should be called "Analysis"; I didn't think of the difference in terminology, but that's what I was thinking for "Discussion" :oops: .

The game tech needs people to back up their assertions with screenshots or descriptions of specific things to look for rather than "looks good to me" "check your vision", "doesn't look good to me".

As for the framerate thread, I'm not sure about it other than moderating the people making non-multiplatform game comparisons. It's difficult to analyse in a proper manner without grandmaster's methods :!: Perhaps another thing to analyse would be when framerate drops occur and looking at what is being rendered and the possible implications on the engine's performance limitations with respect to the hardware.

Been busy (with Gears 2 :p ).

The rules posts for the two IQ/Resolution threads are a great example of what the game tech and framerate threads need (thanks Vys!). And I do agree that they should be called "Analysis"; I didn't think of the difference in terminology, but that's what I was thinking for "Discussion" :oops: .

The game tech needs people to back up their assertions with screenshots or descriptions of specific things to look for rather than "looks good to me" "check your vision", "doesn't look good to me".

As for the framerate thread, I'm not sure about it other than moderating the people making non-multiplatform game comparisons. It's difficult to analyse in a proper manner without grandmaster's methods :!: Perhaps another thing to analyse would be when framerate drops occur and looking at what is being rendered and the possible implications on the engine's performance limitations with respect to the hardware.

The issue with framerates for me is that it seems to relate directly to all the different subthreads regarding game development we might make. Frame-rate is a key way to understand resolution/AA, game development/multiplatform development issues etc.

I think one of the current issues with frame-rates is that it attracts a lot of subjective posts, which is fine except the metodology questions seem to cloud the results. So perhaps the answer for that is to add the frame-rate analysis results to the rendered resolution/AA sticky and discuss the methodology and current results/testing whereever the frame-rate analysis is deemed to go. That way we have a centralised source for both if we wish to site that information.

On another side, if the multi-platform development thread was slightly reformed into just the development issues thread. I think it would help the situation there in two ways, firstly single platform development still has issues and that helps keep things in perspective and they deserve discussion as much as multi-platform issues and secondly it makes the thread a smaller target for those who wish to promote their favourite platform by keeping its main focus under wraps somewhat and therefore keep the discussion cleaner and easier to moderate.

Wysez and Shifty I got your point in regard to the "business section" I try to split one hair in four :LOL: (french habit and rough translation of the sentence we use in France).

Wisez I agree with you in regard to the "game tech" forum. What do you mean by smaller scope threads, more precisely on which basis would you define them.

I still think that per game is the way to go.

In regard to the 'framerate etc." thread sadly what I said hapened, as Granmaster is still the only to provide factual datas it gets really noisy, instead of "who is smoother x, y?" for example "wondering about the possible reason for framerate dips cpu, gpu etc".
It will be hard to keep it clean without extra efforts from you guys.

Once again I think per game is the way to go, as derailing is more noticable.
You will still have to keep the thread focused and pruned users but should be easier (just my bet).

It would also be better in regard to content, bolt statments as 'X games did blabla" are easily when data are spread among hundred of pages. It could somewhat prevent "derailment" as a wrong statment (made in a not in sneaky/trollish manner) could be dismissed quickly without turning in mess and maybe without Mods intervention (say a user linked previous/easy to find thread in this regard).

Per game is a good idea - I think it worked quite well for GTA4, for example. It seems the bigger multiplatform games or big exclusives get the most attention anyway, so segregating the tech analyses as such could be good for all the reasons you've written, liolio. :)

One question. Every time thread gets closed for cleanup there's a reason for such action: some people started discussion based on "it's obvious", "everyone knows", "it doesn't matter", "common Internet knowledge" or "i know better but can't provide sources". Do you guys identify and punish such individuals?

Yes where appropriate. Mostly it's new visitors who don't appreciate how things are done. However, the new threads are far clearer in mandate, and off-topic or sub-standard posts will be dealt with more severely from now on.

I've done my best to reboot the technical discussion. I've closed both the *game tech* thread and the original framerate thread, and created two new threads.

Framerate Analysis 2 is live and open. I haven't opened the new Game Tech thread yet though as we may want to go with per-game threads. Perhaps we should open up the new thread, police it harder to set the clear standard, and see how it works out?

Back