Refresh rate and tearing

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by MistaPi, Oct 16, 2010.

1. MistaPi

Regular

Can't seem to wrap my head around this. Would a 120Hz LCD display give you less tearing than a 60Hz display?

2. PixResearch

Regular

Screen tearing occurs when the graphics card and the screen refresh rate aren't in sync (i.e. the screen reads the picture while the graphics card is part way through creating it).

This will happen regardless of the speed of the screen.

The best way of avoiding screen tearing is to enable buffering (so there is always a complete frame available for the screen to show) or turn on vsync...

edit: if you didn't turn on buffering or vsync then the screen tears would likely be less visible on a 120Hz monitor. The tear would still be there and you would still see some of the current frame and some of the previous frame but the distance moved between the frames would be smaller = smaller offset.

#2 PixResearch, Oct 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2010
  3. MistaPi

Regular

This I get.

Ah yes, I did not think of that. Would'nt it also ble less chance of getting 3 or more frames updates per screen refresh?

4. ERP

ERP Moderator
    Moderator Veteran

Tearing is purely a function of the difference between the presentation rate and the screens framerate.
    If there is a difference with 120Hz displays, it's as likely to br moderately worse as much as moderately better.

5. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

V-sync ftw, end of story. :yep2:

6. madyasiwi

Newcomer

In term of frequency (tearing per second); no. But perceptually; yes. As you'd only see the tearings each in just half of the duration. IMO.

7. Dave Glue

Regular

Triple-buffering with D3Doverrider ftw, end of story.

8. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

disclaimer : I still run a CRT that still refuses dying! along with white keyboard, mouse and case

better or equal than 100Hz, no vsync, double buffering ftw!
    with vsync and triple buffering enabled in game profiles when useful.
    the issue is game/content dependant and I use the setting when I can "afford it" and I care about the issue. (VERY useful in games when scrolling brings tearing)

With vsync framerate varies along discrete values, even in some sort of ways with triple buffering. no vsync means the framerate varies smoothly.. this I noticed once while gaming at 100Hz.
    so I use no vsync as the "safe default" as a matter of taste. (also because my hardware is often crappy so I'd rather have the best framerate available when I run heavy stuff)

so as to speak, I don't like a discontinous "d framerate / dt" in a FPS game :), thus my preference on that minor issue.

basically, yes. tearing is noticeable but much more bearable in 85Hz already, and the higher the rate the better.
    on a 120Hz LCD, vsync off should be more "safe" than not? (unless response time makes it look worse)

yes, and a capped framerate may be a bad offender.

funnily even if the framerate cap is identical to the refresh rate (e.g. counterstrike 100fps/100Hz, or quake 3 120fps/120Hz), it may look fugly and vsync quite improves it.

9. PeterT

Regular

120 Hz certainly helps the issue by making vsync/triple buffering (even) less costly in terms of input latency.

10. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

A truly winning combo as Star Wars Force Unleashed II proved to me again yesterday, I do stand corrected. :)

11. Mintmaster

Veteran

That's true for the presence of tearing, but not for its impact. For a given screen velocity of any object in the scene, 120Hz will show a smaller displacement along a tear than 60 Hz. That's what PixResearch was talking about.

12. ERP

ERP Moderator
    Moderator Veteran

Agreed, though at 120hz it's still obnoxious, I own 4 120hz monitors.
    Unless you want to do the stereo 3d thing there are a lot of 60HZ monitors that will produce a better picture.

13. DavidGraham

Veteran

We shouldn't forget the ridiculous V-sync drop that plague most console games , and carry their crap to the PC as well .

14. mito

mito beyond noob
    Veteran

Will performance degrade if I enable "triple buffering" in Nvidia Control Panel?
    Will it work for any game or should the game support this feature?

Thanks.

15. Davros

Legend

should work with any game
    just tried it with dmc4 no difference (but fps in this game is very high) 180fps(no vsync) 60fps(vysnc) whether triple buffer was enabled or not
    performance should improve if your struggling for 60fps

edit: nhancer says you can only force tb in opengl and has the option labeled Force OpenGL Triple-Buffer but the nv control panel just calls it triple buffer and makes no mention of it being opengl only (plus nhancer is old and doesnt support the 260,xx drivers)