Reformat HD/Windows Problem

00fil00

Newcomer
Hi, im trying to reformat my 1.2 duron with its 2 HDs, one 12gb, one like 30gb i think. i have a problem. my floppy drive is detected on startup but any disk put in it simply says "disk not ready, not accessable". ive deinstalled the floppy controllers and the driver and detected new hardware on startup (it didnt actually detect it, had to choose manually) but it says its working properly. i think its screwed. so. how do you reformat windows98 without a boot up disk? is there any way to install windows onto drive d: and then format drive c:? i tried putting in the win98CD-ROM but theres no option to install or anything. how can i reformat without a floppy drive is my Question? i have a zip drive if that helps somehow. set to detect zip on startup from BIOS? i dunno. im above average pc literate but im still a noobie so step by step directions would be appreciated. ive heard windows XP u just need to select format from its CD-ROM, maybe if i got xp "somehow" if u know what i mean. that would be a last resort tho but worth it to save my pc. anxiously awaiting replies as im stuck with a blue screen death machine that barely boots up on restarting till someone does.

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

it will make your Boot disk for you .. you have absolutely nothing to do except ... to insert a disk in the floppy as well.

If you are on a NFTS partition you might need to repartition your HDD on the Boot Disk with Fdisk.exe .. But no idea if it's the case now .. so i'm not gonna explain it to you w/o reason. Btw ask your 10$ " friend " to do it for you with the boot disk you can get from that link .. very easy and simple.

RainZ

i cant use floppys, thats my prob. it wont even open them let alone read them when i try to go into A: drive.

00fil00 said:
i cant use floppys, thats my prob. it wont even open them let alone read them when i try to go into A: drive.

Your floppy is blowed up ? Bios isnt configured ? Boot sequence isnt in the right order. You have many things to check ..Cause there's no logical reason for this. Can you ask your " 10 bucks friend " for that or not ?

RainZ

ive taken the long route lol. ive formatted D: drive, installed xp on it.. so now i have win98 on C:, and xp on D:. next im going to format C: and hopefully the PC will automatically load up the xp even though C: is the main drive? then ill have to instal xp onto C: and format D: lol. cuz my D: drive is 5 years old. whew. hope this works. im scared to delete my C

Back