Reducing repetition

Pete

Moderate Nuisance
Legend
Is there a way for the forum to auto-remove an unabridged, complete quotation from replies that appear directly after said quoted post? I likes my vertical space. It gets trickier when the reply is a few posts removed, but I suppose a simple nag might help. Me, that is, not the guy replying.

If this is a repeat question, I'd ask if there was a way to auto-remove those, but I guess that's my job. :smile:

I think it's only bad when people quote big sections to make a one liner or something comparatively short. Quoting images is also fairly annoying - I'd like to see img tags disabled or replaced with url tags in quoted posts.

Of course, quoting the original post when you're the first poster would be silly.

hm... one thing that may or may not be problematic with removing quotes from an immediate reply after that quoted post is when there are page breaks, particularly with differing pages per post. Yes/No :?: I wonder because this auto-parser sounds like it would be editing the actual post that's stored in the database rather than making it invisible ala deleted/moderated posts. It'd be nice to see to whom the top post of the next page is referring even if it was to the last post of the previous page.

Perhaps we should stress a posting etiquette for people to quote only what they are directly referring and parse the quotations themselves with a *snip* if lots of the post is relevant but not required for the reply per se.

Is there a way you can just remove auto image linking from quotes? Perhaps just have it show the url of the image if possible. I think that would help a lot.

If you find a solution to this, please share what that solution is. Other places would benefit from this.

Al, yeah, big quotes can also be annoying, but at least the replier made the effort of trimming something. That might be more trouble than its worth. I'm focusing on the easiest case, which I've seen enough of recently. I am talking about physically deleting the quote, as I was under the impression (I think from one of Wavey's "how to post" threads) that quotes chew up database space (and so bandwidth and cycles, I guess).

I think the likelihood of it happening after a page break without context is low enough to make unquoted immediate replies the default (and I guess only, if this is automated) option. IOW, I think the smaller burden would be to the few who have to click back a page to get the context of a reply than to those who've just read the previous post and are continuing with the thread. But that's my preference, and it's certainly debatable.

I'm trying to avoid asking people, b/c odds are they won't do it. Case in point: they don't do it now. :D I'm guessing they won't be bothered to add a *snip* or ellipses, if they just want to reply as quick as they can. That's not to say that saving time is a bad thing. I can see ppl always using Quote instead of Reply in case someone else posts while they're typing. That's why automating out the quote in the reply only if it's directly after the originating post seems like a win-win for both readers and repliers: it automates out drudge work, and saves space and time.

AlphaWolf, your request is right inline with mine and it seems equally-low-hanging fruit ([ img ] -> [ url ] if in [ quote ]). I'm almost positive it's been brought up before and agreed on, but I think we were left waiting for whatever plug-in or mod it is that can do that with VB (see BRiT's plea).

digi, I'd rather the forum do it for me. I'd rest easier if people blamed HAL rather than me. ;)

See how I replied to three different posts without a single quote tag? It's fun and easy if you give your short-term memory some credit!

Wait, what was I talking about?

Maybe what you want is something like this:

Al, yeah, big quotes can also be annoying, but at least the replier made the effort of trimming something. That might be more trouble than its worth. I'm focusing on the easiest case, which I've seen enough of recently. I am talking about physically deleting the quote, as I was under the impression (I think from one of Wavey's ....
l, yeah, big quotes can also be annoying, but at least the replier made the effort of trimming something. That might be more trouble than its worth. I'm focusing on the easiest case, which I've seen enough of recently. I am talking about physically deleting the quote, as I was under the impression (I think from one of Wavey's "how to post" threads) that quotes chew up database space (and so bandwidth and cycles, I guess).

I think the likelihood of it happening after a page break without context is low enough to make unquoted immediate replies the default (and I guess only, if this is automated) option. IOW, I think the smaller burden would be to the few who have to click back a page to get the context of a reply than to those who've just read the previous post and are continuing with the thread. But that's my preference, and it's certainly debatable.

I'm trying to avoid asking people, b/c odds are they won't do it. Case in point: they don't do it now. :D I'm guessing they won't be bothered to add a *snip* or ellipses, if they just want to reply as quick as they can. That's not to say that saving time is a bad thing. I can see ppl always using Quote instead of Reply in case someone else posts while they're typing. That's why automating out the quote in the reply only if it's directly after the originating post seems like a win-win for both readers and repliers: it automates out drudge work, and saves space and time.

AlphaWolf, your request is right inline with mine and it seems equally-low-hanging fruit ([ img ] -> [ url ] if in [ quote ]). I'm almost positive it's been brought up before and agreed on, but I think we were left waiting for whatever plug-in or mod it is that can do that with VB (see BRiT's plea).

digi, I'd rather the forum do it for me. I'd rest easier if people blamed HAL rather than me. ;)

See how I replied to three different posts without a single quote tag? It's fun and easy if you give your short-term memory some credit!

Wait, what was I talking about?

except the Spoiler buttons says "See rest of quote"

Last edited by a moderator:
I just saw this post and was going to suggest hard editing full post quotes after three lines (with an ellipses), but your suggestion works as well, nutball. It doesn't help on the storage/transmission front, but I don't know if that's an issue, and hiding the text shouldn't be any worse than a full, visible quote.

Anyway, this is just a reminder to myself if I ever get around to looking into this, so please ignore.

I just saw this post and was going to suggest hard editing full post quotes after three lines (with an ellipses), but your suggestion works as well, nutball. It doesn't help on the storage/transmission front, but I don't know if that's an issue, and hiding the text shouldn't be any worse than a full, visible quote.

Anyway, this is just a reminder to myself if I ever get around to looking into this, so please ignore.

LOL, there's a blast from the past. caveman-jim is the same of Rage3d fame.

Here's a hint for feature requests. Go do your own research at the vbulletin site and come back with a solution already in hand and you have a much better chance of getting it implemented. :)

What is this, the library?! I don't have time for research, it should be done by someone else and presented to me formatted and with hyperlinks, preferably sorted by relevance.

;)

Back