Redfall [XBSX|S, XGP, PC]

visually something just doesnt do it for me. Gameplay looks kind of uninspiring. I feel that the title isnt getting much attention

I think despite maybe not getting the Critic's Love, that this will be the most accessible and played Arkane game. Their earlier games got the love from critics but no love by the gamers. This can change that.
Dishonoured (and D2) and Prey weren't loved by gamers? They were hugely popular!

Dishonoured (and D2) and Prey weren't loved by gamers? They were hugely popular!

Not going off sales numbers it seems. They are absolutely great games, but didn't really pull in the typical gamers.

It's certainly targeting a different group. Getting in on the spooky multiplayer team shooter trend with their own style. I think it has some of the Deathloop vibe to it too. I'm sure I will try it at some point.

Last edited:
Not going off sales numbers it seems. They are absolutely great games, but didn't really pull in the typical gamers.
A shame, and it's surprising that Dishonoured got a sequel at all. I bought it but still have not got around to playing it!

visually something just doesnt do it for me. Gameplay looks kind of uninspiring. I feel that the title isnt getting much attention
The lighting/shadows/AO are weak even by last gen standards and that makes the low poly count even more off putting . This reminds me of Source 1 engine games visually.

A shame, and it's surprising that Dishonoured got a sequel at all. I bought it but still have not got around to playing it!
I just think Arkane's games aren't really the right flavor for the folk here. There's not only a sequel. The original has 2 DLC that could add up to a sequel on their own, and there is essentially a third game in Death of the Outsider. I think this company primarily makes what they want to make. There was a highly in depth video interview with them about their history fairly recently.

If you would like some Lovecraft-inspired horror, weird otherworldliness in a curiously familiar setting, dig playing immersive sims, and appreciate intricate game design then this is probably a series you should try.

Last edited:
I just think Arkane's games aren't really the right flavor for the folk here. There's not only a sequel. The original has 2 DLC that could add up to a sequel on their own, and there is essentially a third game in Death of the Outsider. I think this company primarily makes what they want to make. There was a highly in depth video interview with them about their history fairly recently.

If you would like some Lovecraft-inspired horror, weird otherworldliness in a curiously familiar setting, dig playing immersive sims, and appreciate intricate game design then this is probably a series you should try.

I had a great time with Dishonored. The DLC was extremely solid. I’m not sure why it would be considered a niche taste. The art style and gameplay have unique elements but aren’t too far off the beaten path compared to other fps/stealth games.

I’ll get around to playing Dishonored 2 one day. Redfall doesn’t look like my cup of tea though.

I aslo liked Dishonoured, I just never got around to playing D2 which I got on disc cheap because it was one of the earlier titles with PS4 Pro enhancements and Amazon were selling those at a low price when we pre-ordered a PS4 Pro.

I think it is the only console game I've game but not played. The situation with my Steam library is much worse!!! So much bought in sales that I've not gotten around to yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Arkane's games tend to have two marketability issues:

1) The graphics aren't immediately impressive. They dont stick out at you like with many games, though usually once people have hands-on experience playing the games, the technical and artistic merits tend to be better appreciated.

2) Similar story with gameplay. It's very hard to get across why these games are fun just by watching footage. They dont tend to have some obvious gimmick and their traditional genre conventions are not the main appeal.

This makes it quite hard to generate hype for the average gamer. And even those more familiar with Arkane's games can still show a surprising lack of imagination in terms of grasping that these games tend to be more than they seem on the surface until they actually play them.

Man, can't wait to play this half the frame rate that all the marketing showed...

Redfall is launching on Xbox consoles with Quality mode only:
Xbox Series X: 4K 30 FPS
Xbox Series S: 1440p 30 FPS
60 FPS Performance mode will be added via game update at a later date.

Definitely with all the folks calling out Microsoft for this misstep. Pretty disappointing. Just goes to show console is still second-class citizen. The flagship Series X at that.

Parris had a pretty great response...

We need to a poll for how long it takes to get 60fps out. I'm betting a year.

Tommy McClain

Just goes to show console is still second-class citizen.
That's definitely not the case, and console is basically *never* second class citizen. Usually quite the opposite.

I also think that's the wrong takeaway, either way. If they're struggling to get it running at 60fps on console, it more than likely means performance isn't gonna be great on PC either, for whatever reason. Perhaps it's a CPU/multiplayer issue, or maybe they're just stretching their current engine tech a bit too hard trying to do an open world design. But there's no reason to think this speaks only to the console version. In like 95% of cases, if the console version doesn't run great, neither does the PC version.

Anyways, it'll be quite disappointing if Microsoft allows(or forces) Arkane to release like this. People are already eager to hate on it, so giving these haters easy ammo like this feels like a really f'ing stupid move.

Man, can't wait to play this half the frame rate that all the marketing showed...

Whilst Redfield is not my thing, this does makes me a little anxious about how Starfield will play on my Series X at launch. Do I now need to think about getting it on PC, or wait for a 60fps mode to roll out later on Xbox. Hopefully the Starfield event next month (I think) will provide reassurance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whilst Redfield is not thing, this does makes me a little anxious about how Starfield will play on my Series X at launch. Do I now need to think about getting it on PC, or wait for a 60fps mode to roll out later on Xbox. Hopefully the Starfield event next month (I think) will provide reassurance.
I mean, it's Bethesda so you should never not be concerned.

Technically, Starfield is built on the foundations of an engine that is over 25 years old.

Definitely with all the folks calling out Microsoft for this misstep. Pretty disappointing. Just goes to show console is still second-class citizen. The flagship Series X at that.
Consoles are almost always the first class citizen. All this shows is a game that's probably not too well optimized.

Back