Reconnecting With Old Games

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by linthat22, Jul 31, 2011.

1. linthat22

Regular

I was reminiscing to the wife about the game Castles II and how at the time it came out I loaded it on my Dad's new Pentium 120Mhz laptop and playing it in bed.

So she found it on GOG and got it and the first Castles for me.

What old games make you feel nostalgic for a another time ?

2. Davros

Legend

Generally none, because I still play them

3. Trawler

Regular

Just discovered a day or two ago that Battle Squadron has been released for ios - from the same programmer who made the original on the Amiga back in 89 (forget the Megadrive version it was a dud). A real slick port and did bring the memories back.

4. tabs

Veteran

"The Biz" and "Dictator" on a ZX Spectrum emulator. I used to sit with my Dad and play those when I was little. Quite similar games in their approach, but one was to manage a band to success in the charts, and the other was to run a banana republic without getting assassinated and siphon off as much cash for yourself as possible.

I can still play now and get some enjoyment, but it's mainly the fuzzy feelings of yesteryear that draw me back to them on occasion.

5. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

OMG Battle Squadron?!?! Wow! Wonder how well touch controls work for a shmup, though...

There's tons of games I feel nostalgic about, like when mentioning Wizball to make I.S.T feel better about being born in the year 1987. :) I also feel incredibly nostalgic about the ancient C64 game "Shogun", which I think probably was a pretty terrible game, but it was just so mysterious and cryptic, with many weird and bizarre locations that I couldn't help myself liking it back then. I never really got anywhere in it, but it was fascinating nevertheless.

There's many old Amiga games too that I probably would be incredibly nostalgic about, not having played many of them for close to a quarter century. Palace Software's Barbarian, and Psygnosis' Barbarian (critically panned, and to a large extent with good reason, but it still had its moments), Turrican, several of Cinemaware's old classics, same with Lucasarts' SCUMM-based adventure games.

Then there's Deja Vu... Never got anywhere, but DAMN, what atmosphere there was in that game!

Yeah, those were the days eh?

6. I.S.T.

Veteran

This. Just a few days ago I loaded up Streets of Rage 2 and had fun for a few stages before I got annoyed by the emulator I was using.

7. Lightman

Veteran Subscriber

REVS (C64)
    LEMMINGS (AMIGA)
    PIT STOP 2 (C64)
    Gun Ship 2000 (AMIGA)
    GORDIAN TOMB (C64)
    SILK WORM (AMIGA)
    ALIEN BREED 3D II (AMIGA)
    DOOM (PC)
    GIANA SISTERS (C64)
    ANOTHER WORLD + FLASHBACK (AMIGA)
    MASTER BLASTER (AMIGA)
    CASTLE MASTER (C64/AMIGA)
    COMMANDO (C64)
    CANNON FODDER (AMIGA)
    EYE OF THE BEHOLDER (AMIGA)
    and many many more :cool:

Luckily I have most of them either on emulators or Steam :)
    Every now and then I play some of them games, just great feeling!
    Same goes for old Scene Demos, I love them all!!

8. green.pixel

Veteran

Warhead (Amiga)

I was a baby when it came out, but played it years after. Still, one of the best space combat games of all time.

Homeworld

If only THQ allowed Relic to make a sequel and released old games on GoG/Steam.

9. Davros

Legend

warhead - made by glyn williams of particle systems fame (subwar 2050, i-war, i-war 2)

they did, it was called homeworld 2 :D

10. Lightman

Veteran Subscriber

You just reminded me of Subwar 2050 (Amiga) - brilliant game for it's time. Done all missions in it!

Also for some strange reason I've omitted a game to which I dedicated many hours - Frontier Elite II.
    To think this game had proper vector graphics, many different vessels, music, sound, endless solar systems and many more but only took 1 SD floppy disk (game itself was around 500kb)!

11. Trawler

Regular

The controls on Battle Squadron One are what you can imagine - but one thing I do like is they allow analog inputs so you can vary your speed flying about. Makes things far less frustrating! Though a bit of a cheat for the purists. :)

Frontier was an amazing game, especially for it's time, same as Elite really. I really do hope David Braben comes up with a 'sequel' but I think he's struggling with how to take that genre forward.

Gunship 2000 great stuff too, not sure if I ever played Subwar 2050, looks good! F29 Retaliator was pretty impressive on the Amiga.

Turrican 2 FTW. :) Fondest childhood memories from that one.

Anyone remember Wizard of Wor on the 64? Nice game. :) Wizball is another classic. How about Paradroid, Uridium, etc? Still really dig Uridium 2 on the Amiga, great tunes. :)

12. joker454

Veteran

Ali Baba And The 40 Thieves on the Atari 800. I remember loving that game as a kid, some fond memories there!

13. green.pixel

Veteran

:) Cataclysm is my favourite in the series.

14. GMâ„¢

Newcomer

Ahh the Atari 800XL... (wavey lines, wavey lines). Such fond memories of Ali Baba, Spikey Harold, Caverns of Eriban, Bounty Bob: Manic Miner 2049er and I even wrote my first program on it too.

10 PRINT 'Boobies!'
    20 GOTO 10
    RUN

I also like to reconnect to a couple of golden oldies from the 90s, particularly Flashback which I have played on every possible format, including Amiga CD32. God I wish Delphine Software were still around. What happened to them?

Also Streets of Rage II on the Megadrive which is quite possibly my favourite game of all time and it has an awesome soundtrack by Yuzo Koshiro that pushed the console to its limits and still sounds fantastic today. I even own it on CD :oops:

15. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

I never had any contact with the Atari 800 during my formative years, but a mate of mine did, and he showed me a bunch of games, some quite radical, back when I was still in high school. Koronis Rift, Wavy Navy, Ballblazer, M.U.L.E and so on... Cool stuff!

Lal, now THAT is some advanced programming! :lol:

They probably got absorbed into Ubi or Infogrames or somesuch. They were French after all, were they not? Anyway, Flashback (Another World in the US) is coming out for iOS, although I haven't heard any news lately so I don't know how close to release the game might be.

I'm really looking forward to that, by the way.

16. I.S.T.

Veteran

SoR2 is one of the best games of all time.

17. nutball

Veteran Subscriber

BBC Micro guy here. Found an emulator and copies of games I wrote when I was 15/16/17 or so. God bless the Internet.

Also nice to play the old Acornsoft games once again (the Defender, Scramble, Pac-Man and Asteroids clones, plus Starship Command).

Ufff. Why aren't modern games like that?!

18. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

I'm putting this here, because even though it's a bit off-topic it's not really new-thread-worthy.

Anyway, if you don't regularly visit Kotaku you may have missed this report of GoG's booth at PAX (err, unless you've actually attended PAX of course) - and more specifically, their version of Booth Babes... FKING ROFL! :lol:

19. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

We had an 800 too! (an LX or XL I believe)

Loved BMX Simulator on that too, great multi-player game. And bounty bob strikes back, and a bunch of others. Me and my sister had a lot of fun with this one, right up until I got an Atari ST.

20. tabs

Veteran

I remember my Dad getting the Atari STFM. The 512K ram was just incredible compared to my speccy and C64. Terrible sound chip though. Eventually upgraded it to 8mb.

My step-brother had the Amiga 500 and all the best games, though I loved cross-platform play with via serial cable with F-16 (I think). Those were the days.