Recommended specs for Rendering 3D design

Discussion in 'GPGPU Technology & Programming' started by Nesh, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

Hi

I have no idea which forum this thread belongs to. If this is more suitable for another forum mods feel free to move it

I have started learning 3D programs and modelling and I need to upgrade to a new PC.

I am currently working on ZBRUSH and looking forward to move to Maya and 3Dsmax.
    VRays will be a must. Animation is also part of my future plans.

I need a PC that can take a load and render fast. I have no idea which is the best GPU for such kind of work. Note that I am interested in 3D modelling and rendering more than playing games so if there are cards designed better for 3D design please do tell me.

Can someone guide me in this?

If there are people who design 3D visuals for a living I would appreciate a lot your feedback.

What specs would you recommend? I havent decided on the budget I can give yet. This will be decided as a combination of price-how well it works with such work

2. Dade

Newcomer

About the "render fast" topics, the first and major decision cross-roads is if you are going to use GPU rendering engine like VRay RT (OpenCL), Octane (CUDA), LuxRender (OpenCL), Blender Cycles (CUDA), etc.

If the answer is yes, you may be locked with NVIDIA (for CUDA render engines). You may have also to spend a lot in one or more high-end GPUs in order to shorten the rendering times and to have enough GPU ram.

If the answer is no, you are going to look just for good OpenGL performance (aka low/medium FirePro/Quadro cards) and the fastest CPU(s) you can buy.

I would also not rule out consumer Radeon/GeForce cards, they could help you to save a lot of money (but you may have some problems with drivers to run Maya, 3Ds Max, etc.).

3. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

Well the answer is "Yes" :)

4. Osamar

Newcomer

5. lanek

Veteran

Yep, you can use consumer card, particulary with AMD GPU.. ( last Nvidia gpu's are a bit too much crippled, this said they are working well too ).. ( some consumer gpu will miss some function here and there, it is needed to well check your software and the result, some particular "view" ( like transparency on some engine " are not available with some consumer gpu's )

This said for render, you need to understand effectively 2 things: CUDA or other... if the render "engine" you want to use is using CUDA, you will need an Nvidia gpu for it..

This said, Maya is using now OpenCL ( in reality their own engine ) and dont use CUDA anymore, 3Dmax is slowy moving from CUDA ( This said their cuda accelerated raytracing is really good ) ... Autocad and Inventor use the CPU for 3D render ( the more cores, the better ) . ( I mostly use Autodesk softwares so i can only speak for them, and particulary Autocad 3D for design and industry, so for me, render = CPU farm at work, and GPU farm at home lol .).

Blender for today is still more usable on Nvidia, as they can use render accelerated with CUDA raytracing. ( OpenCL was working well before, but it is in a "work in progress " from Blender team since years now, and this is funny because if you want use Physic on Blender you want prefer Bullet than PhysX ( who is way more complex and finally "better" )

I will really choose a software for start following your need ( specially if you need to learn ), and then check in their forums / with them what is needed because every case is different.

#5 lanek, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2014
  6. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

Ok. Since I am still in the process of learning I may not need to build a workstation just yet.
    The thing is I need something that will get me a good result for the meantime.

The final rendering with the full detail is something I might do on a computer of a friend which is a powerful one.

But I need something strong that wont be crashing or stalling while I am designing my scenes and "raw" set ups.

For example I am starting to see such issues on ZBRUSH. Once I start going higher than 20 million polys my computer gets too slow often and thus I cant work on the finer details.

I have also decided on a budget of $1000 for the mean time

7. Rurouni

Veteran

This is from zbrush page

NOTE ABOUT GRAPHICS CARDS:
    ZBrush is software rendered, meaning that ZBrush itself is doing the rendering rather than the GPU. Your choice of GPU will not matter so long as it supports the recommended monitor resolution.

As for vray, vray RT does have some limitation. I don't know its current state, but the last time I use it, I felt it wasn't ready for production.
    Anyway, for hardware choice, I usually try to go for the highest CPU performance and decent GPU. Recently I switch from 660 to 760 and the viewport performance improvement in 3dsmax is almost non existent. I think the viewport performance is CPU limited (i7 4770 vs iirc 3770 at the same clock with faster GPU on 3770, viewport performance is faster on 4770). I've a feeling that when they shift to DX12 we will see a nice boost in viewport performance and hopefully will scale better with better GPU. Right now, customized driver for the 3d package from the GPU vendor is mostly what make things faster (probably removing the CPU bottleneck from the API) compared to what they actually tweak on the hardware side for those pro GPU.

8. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

Ok I am thinking about these options

Intel Core i7 4790K
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 980
    32GB Ram DDR3 1866
    SSD Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
    HDD 1TB 7200 RPM
    Motherboard Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO or Z97X-Gaming 7

What do you guys think?

9. Ethatron

Regular Subscriber

Get a Wacom tablet or monitor, then a 3DConnexion 6DOF mouse, makes you more productive than the fastest CPU/GPU could.

10. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

I already have an Intuos Pro XL and an extra monitor :). I get very long loadings and crashes though that eat up to much productive time
    I have never heard of the mouse though. Seems like a beast

11. ArcticCircle

Newcomer

I've used consumer grade gear since the mid 90's for my freelancer work. I think first program I used was 3d studio 4 (later 3d max series). I always hear how some want as fast renders as possible (even with basic home setups and not render farms) but I never cared. Just let your computer do the work while you're not working (I try to work as little as possible). Also you learn not to bruteforce everything.

But if you plan to work in some hectic company that has very strict timetables and schedules, don't follow my advice. Most have cheap, fast, quality - choose two. I only have cheap and quality (and both are debatable :D )

Lightman likes this.
  12. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

For the meantime I am a freelancer. So I am not sure if the above is overkill to be honest. :p