Recommend some good and entertaining books on the computer/console industry

Sdw

Newcomer
After reading about the book "The Race for a New Game Machine" in this thread, I got the urge to pick up some interesting and entertaining books on the tech/computer/game industry.
I enjoy reading stuff like for example the article series on the history of the Amiga on Ars Technica (here) and the little tidbits on the Mac development on folklore.org, so books in that 'style' ie. tech mixed with funny anecdotes is what I'm looking for.

Any recommendations, should I go for the "Race for a new game machine" book, or are there others that are more interesting/well written etc.?
I recall that there was some book about the history of Commodore, can't recall the ´name of it.
Wasn't there something about the original X-Box also?

Wasn't there something about the original X-Box also?

Yup. Dean Takahashi authored two books with regards to Microsoft's consoles.
  • Opening the Xbox: Inside Microsoft's Plan to Unleash an Entertainment Revolution
  • The Xbox 360 Uncloaked: The Real Story Behind Microsoft's Next-Generation Video Game Console

Yup. Dean Takahashi authored two books with regards to Microsoft's consoles.
  • Opening the Xbox: Inside Microsoft's Plan to Unleash an Entertainment Revolution
  • The Xbox 360 Uncloaked: The Real Story Behind Microsoft's Next-Generation Video Game Console

So he lied in the first book

I recall that there was some book about the history of Commodore, can't recall the ´name of it.
On the Edge: the Spectacular Rise and Fall of Commodore.
Good book, quite painful to read at times... because of the stupidity of management, not fault of the book tough.

Has some interesting bits about how humble the manufacturing of CPUs was in the 70s aswell.. imaginge a couple guys with special smooth socks crouching on top of a large plastic sheet and cutting 10.000s of small shapes in it to get a mask for lithography

Last edited by a moderator:
Back