Recent 3DMark Data Report

Discussion in 'Beyond3D News' started by Dave Baumann, Mar 23, 2003.

1. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

Love it or loathe, Futuremark’s 3DMark has compiled a massive database of graphics cards users out there and can provide many useful statistics on the current state of the 3D market today. Futuremark’s Aki Järvilehto has sent along some details from a more recent sample of the database.

The details below are taken from a sample of 3DMark2001 & 3DMark2001SE submissions from 01-Dec-2002 to 31-Dec-2002, which represents about 100,000 users. Here are a few highlights:

Top 20 display adapters (Number) (%)
    • NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 (19671) (23%)
    • ATI RADEON 9700/9500 Series (8446) (10%)
    • NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600 (7358) (8%)
    • ATI RADEON 8500/LE (6648) (8%)
    • NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (5735) (7%)
    • NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200 (5535) (6%)
    • NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 (5227) (6%)
    • NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4400 (4670) (5%)
    • NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS/Pro/Ti (4265) (5%)
    • ATI RADEON 9000 (3395) (4%)
    • NVIDIA GeForce3 (2328) (3%)
    • ATI RADEON 7500 (1596) (2%)
    • NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 500 (1461) (2%)
    • NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420 (1297) (1%)
    • ATI RADEON DDR (981) (1%)
    • NVIDIA TNT2 m64 (927) (1%)
    • NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 100/200 (803) (1%)
    • ATI RADEON VE (644) (1%)
    • NVIDIA GeForce DDR (439) (1%)
    • NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 460 (381) (0%)
    Top 5 countries (Number) (%)
    • United States (31,899) (43%)
    • Germany (7,268) (10%)
    • United Kingdom (6,225) (8%)
    • Netherlands (2,718) (4%)
    • Canada (2,478) (3%)
    Average Video RAM in:
    • Sept 2002 - 79 MB
    • Dec 2002 (this report) - 85 MB
    Top 5 CPU types (Number) (%)
    • AMD Athlon(tm) XP/MP/4 (29,726) (38.93%)
    • Intel Pentium 4 (22,566) (29.56%)
    • AMD Athlon(tm) Processor (10,846) (14.21%)
    • Intel Pentium III (5,839) (7.65%)
    • AMD Duron(tm) Processor (4,038) (5.29%)
    Average system memory in:
    • Sept 2002 - 436 MB
    • Dec 2002 (this report) - 457 MB
    Top 3 OS (Number) (%)
    • Microsoft Windows XP (60,092) (73%)
    • Microsoft Windows 2000 (10,697) (13%)
    • Microsoft Windows 98 (7,722) (9%)
    Futuremark are currently working on 3DMark03 based reports which will allow for a few extra elements such as 3D core clockspeeds and also be able to split out the lower end 9500 Radeon’s from the high end 9700’s.

If you have any further questions on these results drop a comment here and Aki Järvilehto (AJ) may be around to answer them. Futuremark can also provide trend statistics should they be required.

2. Gunhead

Regular

3. Himself

Regular

I wonder how they figure out what country you are from? Locale in windows or email address?

4. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

Your browser submits it (our web stats have this plastered all over the place) so it will be taken from the OS.

5. Anonymous

Veteran

Country information

The country information in our data reports is taken from the Windows locale setting.

Tero Sarkkinen Futuremark

6. LittlePenny

Regular

Interesting. Is there any way to determine what percentage of these statistics were taken from customers who have received the software as part of the bundle kit that comes with their hardware purchase?

7. Himself

Regular

Re: Country information

Ok, thanks, because I have mine set to US English but I am in Canada, I know of people in other countries that do the same thing, so the accuracy of the numbers is debatable.

8. Rambler

Newcomer

Re: Country information

Yeah, I have US locale set too, but am not English. I know many people who do that too, so this country stat is pretty useless imo.

9. Anonymous

Veteran

Since Radeon 9500/9700 owners make up only 10% of the database,
    does that mean that only 10% can run the whole benchmark???

Thats pretty silly. :oops:

So much for DX9 penetration.

Buy Radeons people, what are you waiting for. :D

10. Anonymous

Veteran

Oh I _AM_ talking about 3dMark03 BTW.

:oops:

11. demalion

Veteran

Hmm...considering the age of the 9700/9500 family, I think that's a pretty good showing.

Are people with the same username/email, but data for more than one card, counted for the totals for all their cards? If not, how is such a conflict resolved?

12. demalion

Veteran

These are 3dmark2001 results, if your :oops: didn't include that realization. ;)

13. AJ

AJ
    Newcomer

This data was from 3DMark2001 results and compiled in December. Once we've run the 3DMark03 results we should be able to show the difference between DX 7/8/9 generation hardware.

While it most likely will be higher percentage than 10% it's still likely that the percentage of people running with genuine DX9 hardware will be fairly low during Feb/March. The same events took place during previous 3DMark2001 release, as two years ago most people didn't have genuine DX8 hardware.

As always it will be interesting to follow the ramp-up of DX9 hardware.

Cheers,

AJ

14. Anonymous

Veteran

Well I just jumped from Geforce SDR to Radeon 9700 and your bench looks great.

I was going to wait for Nvidia but the bang for buck just isn't there (vs the 9700).

It's good to see GeForce Fx 5600 / Ultras and Radeon 9600 / pros coming along.

They should overtake the current DX9 place-holders this year.

Cheers. :D

15. Demonio

Newcomer

The Netherlands 8)

Now where those big european countries can't they run 2001se at all :D

16. Anonymous

Veteran

While these stats are interesting, I hope people do realise that they don't really provide that accurate a picture of the real world. These are only the people who downloaded (or otherwise obtained) the benchmark and submitted there results. However, there are a lot obviously a lot of people who play computer games, who did not bother to obtain the benchmark or did not submit their results. As would be obvious, this tends to be the people with lesser cards for various obvious and not so obvious reasons. People with TNT2s for example are unlikely to bother since they have nothing to show off and they probably don't want to know how bad there card is. I suspect and I think most would agree there is a much larger proportion of gamers with TNT2s then we would like. Only recently and only with a few games have cards which won't run at all on TNT2s (usually because of the lack of TNL) came out. There are other issues too of course, such as these people tend to be poorer and from poorer countries and therefore are less likely, in general, to have access to internet connections with which to d/l the benchmark in the first place (of course, even a modem can do it but unlimited modem connections is a luxury in a lot of the world).

17. Anonymous

Veteran

Forgot to mention, some of you seem a bit confused about Windows location settings. There is no such thing as US English location. That is your language, keyboard or regional setting. None of them are any use for determining language since for example, many people will set keyboard to US English and language to either English (US) or English (UK). However, since I believe Windows 95 OSR2, there has been an additional location setting, used by IE and other programs. Of course, there are bound to be quite a number of people who set fake settings here for a variety of reasons, but it is at least a country setting unlike the other settings which are related to language, keyboard type and regional options (commas etc) and therefore, it's perfectly normal for someone from Asia for example, to set US English keyboard and English (UK) language and regional settings). The most common fake setting is probably people from the US setting it to Canada so that certain CD burners don't disable certain functionality...

18. Anonymous

Veteran

Forgot to mention, some of you seem a bit confused about Windows location settings. There is no such thing as US English location. That is your language, keyboard or regional setting. None of them are any use for determining language since for example, many people will set keyboard to US English and language to either English (US) or English (UK). However, since I believe Windows 95 OSR2, there has been an additional location setting, used by IE and other programs. Of course, there are bound to be quite a number of people who set fake settings here for a variety of reasons, but it is at least a country setting unlike the other settings which are related to language, keyboard type and regional options (commas etc) and therefore, it's perfectly normal for someone from Asia for example, to set US English keyboard and English (UK) language and regional settings). The most common fake setting is probably people from the US setting it to Canada so that certain CD burners don't disable certain functionality...

To check yours, in Windows XP, just go into the control panel and look in your regional options. There should be a location at the bottom... Can't quite remember for Windows 2k and 98 (won't mention any other OS since only an idiot would be running another Windows OS)