Reattaching CPU pins

Sxotty

Legend
Has anyone here got this to work ever.

I had a friend who tried to unscrew his CPU from the socket. (His MB failed while I was away or at least that is what a computer shop told him.) Anyway I came back (from vacation) and he had his new MB in and wanted me to put the cpu in, I dropped in in and noticed it didn't go looked and saw many bent pins spent 30 minutes straightening them with tweezers to find one missing, and then he goes oh yeah I knew it was missing but I figured it didn't matter.

Anyway AMD wouldn't let him RMA it not surprisingly so he bought a new one. But I wanted to see if I could fix the old one.

Would conductive adhesive work? Or is the capacitance and resistance to high? Alternatively can it be soldered? I have heard a few times that it is possible but I am not sure at all how to go about trying.

Did you test if it worked even without a pin? If it was a unused or a power or ground pin it might work without it.

I don't know how you would go about reattaching a pin, but I've heard about a trick to make it work anyway. Cut a needle down to exactly the right length, drop it in the hole in the socket where the missing pin should go, with the pointy end up. Insert the cpu, and if it was just the right length to make a good contact, it might work. Try it at your own risk, you might ruin the CPU and/or the MB.

The soldering should work. The issue is that heat from the soldering iron might damage the CPU. Maybe putting the solder on a makeshift pin and then trying to get that in position fast enough will be quite the feat.

Dropping in the pin MIGHT work, but contact will be a big issue.

Saem that was my original plan :) I know it is silly, but the cpu is for the trash anyway as it is.

Is there any way to tell if it is a ground pin? For example is there a known ground that I can test for continuity?

BTW what I will do it buy a new piss poor setup with a $50 MB, and some crappy cheap ram, then I will put it in the day I get it and rma it if it becomes borked. I would hope it will work though. We will just have to wait and see I suppose.

If anyone else has any experience or has an old crappy motherboard they don't want tell me :)... or even likea 64mb stick of ram. I don't really want to invest much till I know it will work.

I actually wanted another computer but I was gonna wait till august and get another fast one instead.

It is an amd 2500+ the barton with 512kb cache, my friend who did this just bought it like 1 month ago at most, well actually it was 2.5 weeks ago.

Fallguy if you can reattach them on intel how do you do it? I am sure a similar process would work.

You have to find a pin diagram, should be available on AMD's site. Then you can figure out the function of the pin.

Sxotty said:
It is an amd 2500+ the barton with 512kb cache, my friend who did this just bought it like 1 month ago at most, well actually it was 2.5 weeks ago.

Fallguy if you can reattach them on intel how do you do it? I am sure a similar process would work.

There was a post by a user at the [H]ardforums, he had a very detailed description on how to do it, along with many nice clear pictures. Its been several months ago, and you cant searc though. So it would be very hard to find.

Saem said:
The soldering should work. The issue is that heat from the soldering iron might damage the CPU. Maybe putting the solder on a makeshift pin and then trying to get that in position fast enough will be quite the feat.

Dropping in the pin MIGHT work, but contact will be a big issue.
´
Or use a thin, 20 watts solder.

Another alternative is find someone with a SMT repairing station.

I dunno about the smt repair station I can buy a new one for <$100 :)

Well I looked on the tech sheets and the pin is A20M#

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/26237.PDF

Page 67, and 68 show it, now I am looking to see what it is, I have no idea how to tell if it is a ground :).

A20M# is an input from the system used to simulate address
wrap-around in the 20-bit 8086.
LOL I am in over my head for sure :)

Says it is a legacy pin...part of the southbridge signal group. And that is it.

Well I got a piece of wire and just hooked it on there(solder)... I don't think I got it very hot at all, but who knows :) In a bit I will try to get a motherboard and try it out :) ... anyway I am worried about convincing the wife to buy a bit of stuff to try it out on, that way I can return the stuff if the CPU borks it.

The wire is a bit longer than the pins, I can't think of a good way to cut it off though.

Back