Reasons why it’s worth to be a pcgamer by Adrian Werner

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Lidve, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Lidve

Newcomer

Take a look at great list of both exclusive and multi-platform titles for PC.

List contains many great titles from 2006 to 2011

Here are just a few from 2010, and rest you can see by following link bellow

link for 2010 > http://adrianwerner.wordpress.com/games-of-2010/

Again, sorry if this is repost, but i used search and couldn't find anything

2. green.pixel

Veteran

Heh, most exclusives are strategies and MMOs, it really says everything, doesn't it. ;)

Mafia 2 is my #1 awaited game next year. Btw, that North Star game from ex-HW Cataclysm guys has caught my attention - due to their HW origins of course. :razz:

3. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

Maybe Guild Wars 2 but I dunno. Been there done that methinks. ;)

The PC has clearly taken the back seat folks, somewhere in front of Wii though thankfully lol. Compared to the poor man's PCs (360/PS3), at least we can play the mutiplatform games in a prettier fashion and mod them usually.

#3 swaaye, Jan 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2010
  4. Lidve

Newcomer

Not trying to make this into some kind of platform war, but there aren't that many console exclusives either.

I would even say PC have more quality exclusives than all 3 consoles combined. It certainly have more variety

Here is list of upcoming console exclusive games for 2010

PLAYSTATION 3

1.God of War 3 - action adventure
    2.Gran Turismo 5 - racing
    3.The Last Guardian - action adventure
    4.Heavy Rain - action adventure or something

XBOX 360

5.Alan Wake - action adventure
    6.Halo Reach - fps

PC:

1.Starcraft 2 - RTS
    2.Napoleon: Total War - RTS
    3.Guild Wars 2 - ORPG
    4.World of Warcraft: Cataclysm - MMORPG
    5.Project Offset - some kind of action adventure
    6.Stalker Call of Pripyat - FPS
    7.rFactor 2 - racing
    8.next game from penumbra creators - horror fps

5. anaqer

Veteran

Wait, Alan Wake is not coming to the PC?! I completely missed the memo on that one. Damn.

6. repi

Newcomer

I would definitely not count on Project Offset coming out 2010

7. Lidve

Newcomer

8. MfA

MfA
    Legend

Jagged Alliance 3? How the fuck did I miss that ... screenshot looks like crap, but who the fuck cares.

9. woundingchaney

Regular

You are missing a considerable amount of titles in that list and quite frankly you are forgetting about all the titles that end up only seeing a console release, which anymore is a continuing trend. I very much prefer to game on my pc, but realistically the only pc exclusives I can think of are RTSs and MMORPGs and even then the RTS side of things is arriving on consoles. Thinking about this year alone the only other exclusive I can think of is the new STALKER (Proj. Off. is coming to consoles I believe). This of course is leaving out many of the smaller budget titles though, but then again we arent counting titles released on Live or PSN. Consoles see a considerably larger variety of titles head to their platforms in a larger number than does the pc platform. Looking at this year alone there is GoW3, Heavy Rain, GT5, MAG, White Knight Chronicles, The Last Guardian, Fable 3, Halo Reach, FF13, FFvs, Crackdown 2, etc. and many still to be announced around E3. If I would continue to include titles that do not see release on the pc but arrive on both consoles then the list would continue on for some time.

I personally wish that I seen half as many high profile titles and the variety of the console libraries on my pc.

Console exclusives and multiplatform titles also often happen to benefit from higher budget and developer pedigree, many of the pc exclusives anymore simply do not take advantage of the tech and happen to pale in comparison on such a level (not that they are inherently bad games).

#9 woundingchaney, Jan 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2010
  10. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Couldn't care anyless if it is exclusive or multiplatform aslong as it pushes tech and has good gameplay. Hello Metro 2033 where PC is being SKU and console being the port. Also rFactor 2... :shocked:

#10 Neb, Jan 17, 2010
  11. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Probably timed exclusive as their PC engine was quite robust back in 05/06. 360 needs some more exclusives as it barely has any bigname ones and rest multiplatform.

12. bystander

Regular

You may have to wait a bit longer unfortunately. Rumours are the current dev house have stopped development of the game.

13. Lidve

Newcomer

Answers are in green
    PC don't lack anything - its just that no one hype games on pc so they go unnoticed

Marketing do wonders
    Just because Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo hype their game, it doesn't mean it will be good

MAG is hyped to death, but PC had MMO fps games since long time ago - but no one hype them

And there is many cases of review companies being paid to boost their scores.. so just because XX game scored XX and pc game scored lower doesn't mean a thing because 1. you cant compare cross platform scores 2. pc have higher standards 3. pc companies don't have money to pay for score boost

I remember when everyone was going nuts over eyetoy and now natal...
    but you can play such games with regular webcam! many people don't know that and will pay for some "special device"

just go online and type webcam game and you will see they exist on pc for ages.. but they are for kids so no one really cares about them

#13 Lidve, Jan 17, 2010
  14. flynn

Regular

No need to get defensive. PC gaming has been declining for a while already, it's the way things are. A lot of developers have moved onto the more profitable consoles market.

Have you actually played MAG? What PC FPS support 256 players at the same time anyway?

You cannot be serious. Poor PC companies, all the console game publishers are after them. Come on.

Whatever.

Some of the games you posted look interesting, none of them seem so good I'd suddenly feel the urge to get a PC and install Windows on it. And as you mentioned hype, Starcraft II is one of the most hyped PC games ever. Of course that doesn't mean it will be any good (using your own reasoning)

15. Lidve

Newcomer

Starcraft 2 hyped?

I don't remember single commercial on any TV, or even any website (aside from fan made sites) .

Yes its hyped by gamers, people who actually play games - because first one was great game.

In meanwhile, i saw dozen Playstation 3 commercials featuring Uncharted 2 and other games and also many Wii and X360 commercials featuring many games.

16. Lidve

Newcomer

Hhahah there are many MMOFPS games on PC since 2000 that support 1000+ players at same time

So 256 players for game with release date in 2010 (10 years after) is really nothing impressive

World of Warcraft (not fps but just to put things in perspective) have tens of thousands people per server, and its game from 2004

I think largest WoW server have almost 40 000 players (or characters) or something ridiculous like that

Server i used to play on was smaller with around 5000 players. I am 100% sure that Ironforge (town in world of warcraft) have more players running around than 256 lol

Now, ofcourse this doesn't mean everyone is playing game at same time, but im pretty sure few thousands of people are online in any given moment

#16 Lidve, Jan 17, 2010
  17. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Dont see how it is declining any more than how PS3/360 has lots of exclusives going/gone multiplatform. Nature of the more costly development for games.

So this alone makes the game hype worthy or? Sure could be great if gameplay and levels clatch well but as a technical feat no. Not when it looks pretty much like PS2/Xbox game in HD.

Thats alrigth becouse none of the console ones did it either for me (though Reach has half an eye). It all falls back to taste and hype... and hype... and hype about being the best ever blabla. So one could say bububu GT5 will be out the biggest evar becuz they sez so! So what rFactor 2 will also be out, the real one.

OK think it is OT but some things needs to be set straight. :)

18. flynn

Regular

Considering their target audience I don't expect to see ads on TV, although they used to run ads for WoW, so who knows. It's been hyped at various cons, mostly in Asia.

Are those fast paced FPSs? Out of curiosity can you name one? Because I'd be very impressed if a single server can handle 1000 players at the same time in a fast paced shooter.

Apples and oranges.

So? The game mechanics and the pace do not even come close, your point being?

You don't see it? You don't see how games are developed for the xbox and then ported to the PC? I don't see the PC being the main SKU anymore except for a few select genres. You guys are always complaining about how PC gamers get crappy console ports anyway.

Again, have you played it? It's more than that, even on a technical level, like the big drawing distance and whatnot. It's a solid game and a good experience for people who want something less casual than MW2. But we're talking about PC games anway :wink:

Yes, GT5 has been hyped to the moon and back. It will most likely be a very good game when it comes out. I suspect most people here don't buy games because they're hyped but because they like them.

The OP wanted to give some reasons why it's worth being a PC gamer. As you said it seems to be a simple matter of taste and I will say it again, I don't see any game in that list that IMO is a must have.

But I will stop here, no point in arguing about that.

19. Lidve

Newcomer

I have nothing against consoles, i have Playstation and Playstation 2, don't own any from this gen but i play them from time to time (maybe even buy PS3 at some point)

Gran Turismo 4 is my favorite PS2 game, and even though i really love it its far from sim

Its just arcade driving game with great career mode and lot of cars.

Its not really fair comparing it to games like GTR2 etc.

So just because Sony put big money in advertising - doesn't mean its best simulation out there (its far from simulation)

But its still great game, i just don't like how they claim to be something they are not, and it seems case with many console games

#19 Lidve, Jan 17, 2010
  20. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Yes hype is common for console games from fans, companies aswell as devs that received their check to squeeze in some hype buzzwords every 3 months to the public.
    But I guess to recoupe the huge losses in costs that went into financing the game projects and recoupe the losses for each sold console unit and failures. I guess becouse people this time around are more critical after all BS lastgen about "fat free butter". Good I say! :lol:

#20 Neb, Jan 17, 2010