Realtek® ALC650 on the nForce 2

AlNom

Legend
I'm getting the Asus A7N8X (not deluxe)... should I stick with the onboard audio or should I get an Audigy 2?

If it's not the MCP-T you don't have Soundstorm or the NV APU. The regular MCP is just equipped with AC97 and a codec, such as the ALC650.

Actually the MCP-T needs a codec too, and they often use the ALC650 or 655. The difference is that the MCP-T has the awesome NV APU and bypasses the Realtek codec's audio generation features.

I'd test your board's output quality. ALC650 isn't all that awful unless the output is very noisy and lacking frequency response.

If you're a serious gamer, Audigy is definitely the most supported card (even moreso than MCP-T.) Audigy would definitely offer some performance and sound quality improvements over even a good implementation of ALC650.

Also remember that basically all motherboard audio has bad analog signal quality. I have a Shuttle AN35N which has the ALC650. The implementationis so bad that my SBLive is still in use because if offers CLEARLY superior audio quality. Even MCP-T suffers from this in varying degrees. You'd be best served by using the digital optical out on a motherboard audio solution.

Back