Really stupid problem that I created

SteveC

Newcomer
Ok here is the situation. When I was putting my upgraded system together I thought I would leave some space on my 80gig hard drive to play around with Linux. So when I was installing WinXP (home edition) I only created a 50gig partition for Windows. I did not even partition the remaining 30gig. Due to the fact that I have a SIS sata chipset and a SATA hard drive I could not get linux to see my hard drive. It was no big deal so I just gave up trying to install linux.

Well tonight I decided that I would go ahead and add the 30gig partition to windows. I plopped my XP cd in the drive and set boot to floppy in the BIOS. Without really thinking about it I let the damn thing INSTALL a new WinXP on my 30gig partition. :oops:

Now everytime I boot up I have to choose which XP I want to boot into. Argh!!!! I deleted everything from the 30gig partition but it still asks me which XP at boot up. Is there anyway to change this?

Thanks,
Steve

You could try this:

Boot into XP on the 50GB partition
Right click my computer, choose manage from the menu
Click disk management under the storage tab
Right click the 30gb partition and format it or delete the partition

I'm not sure if this will work or not, but it is worth a shot.

I did try reformating the 30gig partition however it still gives me the option of booting into that partition on startup.

Editing the boot.ini worked. Thank you!

Steve

Back