RE4: GC vs PS2 side by side comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you considered that the two capture devices are not calibrated the same? Comparing the HUD should be enough to show this.

I like the PS2 colors better anyway the GCN looks too green. Though it does have more impressive light coming through window.

Did people actually expected Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory for the PS2 to look as good as its Xbox counterpart? But in RE4's case, it's not that far apart. But if the fun factor and gameplay is still intact, should still be as enjoyable. I'm sure Capcom was aiming for new audiences, rather than old RE4 gamers. No hate.

.Z

-NakedZ- said:
Did people actually expected Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory for the PS2 to look as good as its Xbox counterpart? But in RE4's case, it's not that far apart. But if the fun factor and gameplay is still intact, should still be as enjoyable. I'm sure Capcom was aiming for new audiences, rather than old RE4 gamers. No hate.

.Z

I didn't expected Res4 PS2 to look much worse than Res4 GC. Splinter Cell is a very pixel shading effect heavy game, while REs4 is not. Sure i doubt they can have some of the effects in the PS2 version, like some of the specular mapping or the ultra awesome blur in lava levels. But, as the rest is concerned....low rez textures, jaggies, sure PS2 can do it just fine.

People have to admit that REs4 looks amazing because of it's Artistic flavou not because it's a graphics powerhouse.

Does it matter?

As Long as their close to each other, it looks good.

looks good enough for me....

Who cares if the GC version looks a bit better...as long as the regular joe enjoys it, it won't even matter...

-Josh378

therealskywolf said:
I didn't expected Res4 PS2 to look much worse than Res4 GC. Splinter Cell is a very pixel shading effect heavy game, while REs4 is not. Sure i doubt they can have some of the effects in the PS2 version, like some of the specular mapping or the ultra awesome blur in lava levels. But, as the rest is concerned....low rez textures, jaggies, sure PS2 can do it just fine.

'low rez textures and jaggies'? pardon my french but wtf? the last thing you can accuse re4 of is low texture resolution. re4's textures are of adequate res - none of the game textures look low res when view from non-extreme POVs. i'm quite sure the team that did the port had quite a tough time trying to 'retrofit' the textue assets from the GC version. basically, you got your notion of the technical difficulties of the ps2 port totally mixed up - all the framebuffer effetcts from the GC version (that includes the lava heat shimmering etc) should be matched, if not surpassed on the ps2. it's the texture assets and lights setup that the ps2 may have a tough time reproducing. as about jaggies - didn't see much on my 27" SD interlaced during my 8 passes through the game.

People have to admit that REs4 looks amazing because of it's Artistic flavou not because it's a graphics powerhouse.

just like every other game worth mentioning on any platform.

darkblu said:
'low rez textures and jaggies'? pardon my french but wtf? the last thing you can accuse re4 of is low texture resolution. re4's textures are of adequate res - none of the game textures look low res when view from non-extreme POVs. i'm quite sure the team that did the port had quite a tough time trying to 'retrofit' the textue assets from the GC version. basically, you got your notion of the technical difficulties of the ps2 port totally mixed up - all the framebuffer effetcts from the GC version (that includes the lava heat shimmering etc) should be matched, if not surpassed on the ps2. it's the texture assets and lights setup that the ps2 may have a tough time reproducing. as about jaggies - didn't see much on my 27" SD interlaced during my 8 passes through the game.

just like every other game worth mentioning on any platform.

Uh sure....so why again do the textures look just as good on the Ps2 version? And why is the PS2 version missing the heat haze? And some of the specular mapping effects (Yes i got to play the game a bit). ? ? ?

And it has a pretty nice set of jaggies in any of my TV's. And what do you mean with that last bit? Splinter Cell 3 looks amazing, despite not looking artistically "sound". Uh so no.

At the store we have a ps2 and a cube version running right next to each other and the gamecube does look much better . The ps2 version looks good don't get me wrong but if you own both systems buy the cube version , it does look better

therealskywolf said:
Uh sure....so why again do the textures look just as good on the Ps2 version?

what makes you think they look as good in the first place? show me a single case of original-vs-port side-by-side where all used textures look identical on the two versions resolution-wise, gamma differences aside.

And why is the PS2 version missing the heat haze? And some of the specular mapping effects (Yes i got to play the game a bit). ? ? ?

did you play the official release? cause if not they may not have all visuals in place just as of yet.

And it has a pretty nice set of jaggies in any of my TV's.

funny, i do not seem to share your experience. but hey, you can always back yours up with a framebuffer grab, no?

And what do you mean with that last bit? Splinter Cell 3 looks amazing, despite not looking artistically "sound". Uh so no.

splinter cell is every single bit as artistically sound as re4.

jvd said:
At the store we have a ps2 and a cube version running right next to each other and the gamecube does look much better . The ps2 version looks good don't get me wrong but if you own both systems buy the cube version , it does look better

thanks, jvd

i said it before and ill say it again, re4 doesnt do anything ps2 can't. re4's high mark is it's art. the only thing re4 has for it is it's loading times and shaders, which ps2 can do too. i wasn't expecting capcom to exploit ps2's ablities, they only worked on it for like 8 months.

doesn't look toooo different in the stills, maybe there is more diff in motion? GCN version was very smooth, i wonder how that compares

jvd said:

I havn't bought the GC version yet. Since the difference in graphics between the GC and PS2 versions isn't that big, with the additional content the PS2 version has and the better controls, i'm still having trouble with what version to buy
unsure.gif

Stillmatic said:
I havn't bought the GC version yet. Since the difference in graphics between the GC and PS2 versions isn't that big, with the additional content the PS2 version has and the better controls, i'm still having trouble with what version to buy
unsure.gif

Well if you look at my posts i'm no fan of the dual shock 2 and i believe the gamecube controller is much better suited for it than the ps2 version . The extra content is nice but in the end its not much at all and the graphics are better on the gamecube . If you put them next to each other like i have done u will see the diffrences between them .

jvd said:
Well if you look at my posts i'm no fan of the dual shock 2 and i believe the gamecube controller is much better suited for it than the ps2 version . The extra content is nice but in the end its not much at all and the graphics are better on the gamecube . If you put them next to each other like i have done u will see the diffrences between them .

I havn't actually had hands on with the PS2 version myself, i was going off the GS preview.

The control scheme makes the leap to the PlayStation 2 controller without a hitch and even ends up feeling a bit better than the GameCube pad did.

The extra content does sound pretty sweet too.

You'll get the RE4 experience in its entirety, so you can expect to find the original game and the Mercenaries minigame, along with the same assortment of playable characters and costumes. However, in addition to all that, you'll find a new weapon, P.R.L. 412, which is a compact version of the parasite-destroying laser from the original. There are new costumes for Leon and Ashley, and a brand-new five-chapter game called Separate Ways that stars Ada Wong. The chapters are set throughout Leon's RE4 experience, and you'll see what Ada was doing while Leon was busy fighting for his life. For example, the bell that saved Leon at the start of the game was rung by Miss Wong. The five-chapter adventure is a self-contained look that fleshes out Ada's motives, although we still aren't 100 percent satisfied we know why she's rolling in an evening dress. In addition to letting you play through some of the same areas seen in Leon's adventure, Capcom has crafted an all-new battleship level that's exclusive to the PS2. The minigame will also let you play in a new costume not seen on the GameCube, and you'll have access to Ada's report, which provides more info on the story.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/adventure/residentevil4/news.html?sid=6134295

That said, i'm still leaning towards picking up the GC version, but i'll give the PS2 version a rent first and go from there
biggrin.gif

Well looking at those pics it's clear that the Cube-version is better looking, and it's not even a small difference, and I don't think it's lack of effort from Capcom either...
Hovever PS2-version still looks quite nice and with extra content, true widescreen and progressive scan is enough reason for me to pick the PS2 version up. (I don't have Cube at the moment, but I could borrow it, but then I would have to buy component cable for it, as I refuse to play any interlaced game ever again. Component-cable for cube cost's a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr Evil said:
Well looking at those pics it's clear that the Cube-version is better looking, and it's not even a small difference, and I don't think it's lack of effort from Capcom either...
Exactly. AS Capcom said, the cube version has not only better textures, it pushes more polygons as well (see environment & characters). This is also evident in those framecaptures...

environment (the trees!)
PS2
9677_4.jpg

GCN
10586.jpg

characters (the zombie's arm and the shoulder)
PS2
9678_8.jpg

GCN
10586_10.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back