re2's engine a modified quake engine?

inlimbo

Newcomer
i was rereading the quake engine wiki today and noticed resident evil 2 as a licensed game. is this correct or just wikipedia vandalism? if it's the former, is this newly unearthed information or common knowledge? i can find the game listed under giant bomb's entry for the engine as well, but not much else

Sounds like nonsense. I'm pretty sure RE1, RE2 and RE3 all used the same engine, with 3D characters superimposed on Pre-rendered 3D backdrops. I don't remember ever hearing about Capcom licensing the quake engine and that seems unlikely given the language barrier and the problems that would cause for support. I also think RE2's release predates the PSX versions of Quake and Quake II. Giant Bomb's entry is probably erroneous because of the error on Wikipedia.

Someone was discussing this on GAF the other day. Apparently Gearbox did the PC port and based it on a modified Quake engine rather than trying to port over the original PSX game engine. The DC port was a PC port, so it too was based on the Quake engine. No way I can verify that but it seems reasonale enough.

does sound pretty reasonable. i wonder if it was goldsrc, then, if that's possible given the time frame. their later port of nightfire was modified goldsrc (which i realize implicates nothing in this case)

edit: do you have a link to the gaf discussion? seems to be unsearchable based on what i've tried

Last edited by a moderator:
Back