RE 4 GCN vs. Wii version

Even I know that (I mean not having a Wii). The Wii version, is the wide consensus. Shooting with the wiimote is better, and I seem to recall you get all the extra content that was in the PS2 version (playing with the girl, and including widescreen), plus some more even I think.

I'm sure someone with actual experience will weigh in shortly though. ;)

As Arwin said reviews said the Wii version is the better one, albeit somewhat easier due to the Wiimote aiming. Plus the extra content. So I'd go for the Wii version, if you already own Wii. Otherwise the GCN version would be fine as well.

Well, there's probably a Wii in my future (own a GCN) when it comes down to $199 or less, since there seem to be enough decent games for it (Zelda, MP3, RE4, and upcoming Zak & Wiki, Mario Galaxy, etc...).

No reason to not get the Wii version if you're getting a Wii. It might be less challenging since it was designed around an analog thumbstick, but... (Heck, you might even be able to NOT use the Wiimote if you want. ;) Not sure, but I wouldn't put it past them to have original controls as an option, too.)

Well, there's probably a Wii in my future (own a GCN) when it comes down to $199 or less, since there seem to be enough decent games for it (Zelda, MP3, RE4, and upcoming Zak & Wiki, Mario Galaxy, etc...).

Well, then it really depends if you're patient or not :p Wii's probably not hitting 199 USD until sometime in Q2 2008, at least that's what Fils-Aimee last comments seem to be suggesting. If you're not in a hurry, then just wait.

Plus, why make a big deal over $50 at that level? If you're talking about the 360 or PS3 getting down to a mark like that, that's a real goal. For the Wii, that's "the first minor price drop."

You'd probably get a rough equivalent from any bundle/deal that's offered, giving things you have an interest in anyway.

I never played through RE4 on GCN or PS2 and I only played RE4 on Wii but I do know that you can play the Wii version with a classical remote or with a GCN controller and all of the on-screen button presses change for the controller you're using as well as the laser sight comes up. Shooting with a wiimote is REALLY fun. One complaint is that certain weapons are too easy to aim with so you never feel a need to buy a rifle.

The extras that they added from the PS2 version that they didn't have time to put in the GCN version are the Ada missions and the game has true widescreen. Ada missions are about 6-7 hours and the main game is a good 20 hours the first time through (not including do-overs because of dieing) plus there's the mini-mission "Ada's Story" and the mercenaries mode. Ada mission I think all take place in the same environments as the main game but the point is that you're usually getting there just before or just after Leon was there which makes it very interesting gameplay-wise, although I really wish they let you upgrade your weapons in that mode.

It's probably my favorite Wii game and it's pretty amazing that it normally goes for $30 new.

Wii version is better. Better controls plus all of the extra content. It is easier with the Wii controls.
"Easier" does not necessarily mean "better" for gamers, though. Which is why I'm glad to see my earlier postulation confirmed by nintenho. You can get the best of whatever world you want.

"Easier" does not necessarily mean "better" for gamers, though. Which is why I'm glad to see my earlier postulation confirmed by nintenho. You can get the best of whatever world you want.
it's easier to control recoil and to change you're aim faster but it's not a big difference in difficulty. I probably wouldn't buy a rifle in the GCN version either since the ammo's limited.

No, it doesn't, but if you play with the remote and then try to go back to the classic controller you'll find it severely lacking.

I can see that. But still, lots of people want to play a game the way it was designed to play. There's plenty of time to use the Wiimote like a raygun, and all of MP3 to play, designed around the thing. You can play most FPSes in god mode, too. ;)

I've heard some people say that it makes the game a lot easier but it really doesn't. I'd say a noob probably would do just as good/bad regardless of what controller they use. I also personally like the wiimote QTE's more. It's also a lot easier to use your knife to break boxes with the wiimote.

Back