Razer's shitty Synapse software

Grall

Invisible Member
Legend
Or should I say "spyware"?

I made the mistake of buying a Naga Chroma (because sadly I broke my previous mouse, a well-worn but still working Logitech G700), and the fucking thing won't open up the config GUI without creating a godfucked "account".

For a fucking mouse!

I'll return the damn thing come monday morning. I knew it was a mistake buying another Razor product; twice before have I been burned by their shitty mice so I ought to have known better, but it was the only MMO mouse they had in stock at the one decent PC hardware shop in the city center, and my feet were tired.

Of course the sales clerk said nothing about having to create any god damned cloud account. I never asked for such a thing, nor wanted it. Never seen a more transparent attempt to leech information off of my PC.

Fucking hell!

Use fake email and block everything?

Surely it's not using cloud computing for the cursor movements

razer mice are legit poorly made anyway, like if you play games in any capacity casually whatever you will blow out the lmb in a year or 2. and if you play diablo, give it a couple months tops.

All the buttons on the Naga are super mushy. Like, almost no resistance at all, you can't rest your fingers on the buttons or you'll click them.

I guess it would have meant carpal tunnel syndrome bonanza in a few weeks for me, if not days. Truly disappointing.

I'm using a Corsair Something-Or-Other MMO mouse right now, which I bought some years ago and then discovered it doesn't have a mouse wheel tilt function. Well, that certainly was money down the fucking drain too! :p At least I get to use it as a spare mouse every now and then.

The place you bought it from doesn't have a refund policy? I'd just return it for a refund or exchange on something else.

I wish Logitech made an "MMO" mouse, but alas they don't. And unfortunately, having used their "flywheel" style mouse wheel, I can't use other mice without serious distaste. That just makes me even more glad they finally stopped using crappy switches for their mouse buttons. It used to really annoy me when their buttons would start acting erratically after 1-2 years of medium to hard use (like the MX Revolution which I loved other than the switches it used). Thankfully I haven't experienced that with their last 3-4 generations of mice.

I don't know why Razer still uses crappy switches. Considering how much you pay for a Razer mouse, you'd think they'd actually use high quality long lasting components.

Regards,
SB

The place you bought it from doesn't have a refund policy?
I'm not sure, I haven't checked. I'll take it back tomorrow and see what they say. I've opened it and used it, so they probably won't just return my money. We'll see... I kept all the packaging tho, I always do.

As for MMO mice, Logitech doesn't make the G600 anymore? It's still in stock at at least one major retailer here in Sweden... G700S too; I've reserved one of the two remaining ones, along with a new palmrest for my Corsair K70 mechanical keyboard. I have one palmrest already, but it is worn and grubby, and since I replaced the K60 it originally came with, I thought I might just as well get a new palmrest as well.

This K70 is a replacement for a K70 I bought probably like 2+ years ago, and subsequently died a strange and curious death. Some of the LEDs in it went black, then it died completely one day out of the blue. Got a new under warranty but never used it. Kept it in its original packaging and bought a Logitech Orion keyboard instead. Huge mistake. :p It was expensive, and really fragile. One smack and buttons on it died. Say what you want about noisy Cherry switches, but they can take a beating without keeling over! :p Also, the Origin didn't have the excellent textured and sloped WASD123456 keys Corsair offers, you can place your fingers with precision right on the right keys with just tactile sensations quickly and easily. Logitech tried to copy the design I suppose, but did it badly. Maybe there are patents involved, who knows.

So when the Orion died I switched back to the old K60. There was a firmware update out for it by then that fixed the stuck keys bug, this made it work (almost) perfectly again... Sometimes it would ignore a random keystroke, but that's better than keys sticking many times per day. (Backspace key getting stuck was SUCH a hoot while you were typing up something important... Jesus fucking hell.)

I used that K60 for quite a while, even though it was grubby and worn (hey, it worked, and I'm lazy!), and even though the supposedly "laser etched" key markings were almost entirely worn off in places. LIES! lol... Chinese factory told Logitech they were laser etching, and in reality they screen printed. WHO'S GONNA NOTICE HUH?! lol... Ok, so I don't know that's what happened, but it 'feels' right. :p Anyway, yesterday I got tired of that old clunker though, so out with the K70 from its box and plugged it in.

Works great, except I get double space key keystrokes sometimes, and the key squeaks! Keyboards need lube jobs...? Sure looks that way. *sigh*

I'm not sure, I haven't checked. I'll take it back tomorrow and see what they say. I've opened it and used it, so they probably won't just return my money. We'll see... I kept all the packaging tho, I always do.

As for MMO mice, Logitech doesn't make the G600 anymore? It's still in stock at at least one major retailer here in Sweden... G700S too; I've reserved one of the two remaining ones, along with a new palmrest for my Corsair K70 mechanical keyboard. I have one palmrest already, but it is worn and grubby, and since I replaced the K60 it originally came with, I thought I might just as well get a new palmrest as well.

I actually use the Logitech G700s. It usually has enough buttons for what I want but occasionally I'd like to have more (like in FFXIV). The G600 doesn't have a flywheel, so it's a no go from the start.

Keyboard I've been using for almost about 5 years now is a Cooler Master CM Storm Quick Fire Pro. Whew that's a mouthful. Really solid basic Cherry MX brown keyboard with full N-key rollover (it'll register every single key if you press every single key simultaneously).

My favorite types of keycaps are ones made with doubleshot key injection molding. That's where there's actually a hole in the shape of the letters in the keycap, and then another color of plastic (transparent for LED lit keys) is injected into that space. Impossible to wear out the letters without wearing out the entire keycap surface.

If you have Cherry MX switches, then you can easily replace the keycaps if you want. I had to do that with a G.Skill Ripjaws KM780 that I recent bought, due to the fact that the keys felt "gritty" when typing. Taking the caps off, I could feel that the stem had small ridges on them which caused that feeling. I'm guessing they sourced the caps from a cheap Chinese manufacturer which didn't make sure the stems were smooth. I only got it because it was a cheap (80 USD on sale) Cherry MX brown keyboard with macro support. My CM Storm doesn't support macros. Unfortunately, with the replacement keys I had to get I didn't end up saving any money. It's still a well built keyboard other than that though so I'm not too sad.

I wish more than one company still make buckling spring switches (like the old IBM keyboards), but unfortunately that's not the case, and it's expensive as hell to get one with buckling spring switches. I've had no complaints about the Cherry MX switches I've used. Not quite as satisfactory feeling as the aforementioned switches but it still has a nice feel to it. But man, how I wish I still had a buckling spring keyboard.

Regards,
SB

Does expensive keyboard really feels much better than cheap 5 dollars keyboard?

Sure these cheap keyboards usually doesn't have n key support or macro support. But they usually have 5 simultaneously pressed key support and macro can be added using autohotkey app.

I say "can be added" because some games ban autohotkey :(

If you have Cherry MX switches, then you can easily replace the keycaps if you want.
Yeah, I know, but then I won't get the sloped/textured special Corsair keys anymore. And I would have to source keys with Swedish layout support, and transparency for the LEDs, and, and...and it would be a lot of work, and cost money. :p By the time I wear these keys out, this keyboard too will be grubby and worn, and ready for replacement. I used the initial K70 for a while, and its buttons did not appear to wear in the same manner the K60's did, so Logitech appears to have fixed that issue at least. I suppose eventually I'll start to wear through the top coat (these are NOT double injection molded), but like I said, by then I'll probably be looking to replace the whole keyboard.

I would like to replace this keyboard right now actually, because cherry switches are noisy, and Corsair's connector cable is so ridiculously stiff and oversized. However, I really like their textured keys, and the palm rest, so I put up with the noise, and the crazy cable... :p I suppose I'll have to see what the future brings.

I would like to replace this keyboard right now actually, because cherry switches are noisy, and Corsair's connector cable is so ridiculously stiff and oversized. However, I really like their textured keys, and the palm rest, so I put up with the noise, and the crazy cable... :p I suppose I'll have to see what the future brings.

Damn, I wish I could remember the keyboard review I looked at. If the noise bothers you, there's a keyboard maker that uses Cherry MX switches but they do the stem differently so it doesn't bottom out with a "clack." The review said that they are quieter while still having most of the Cherry MX feel.

Does expensive keyboard really feels much better than cheap 5 dollars keyboard?

Yes. Mechanical switches feel significantly different from rubber dome switches (cheap keyboards and even some expensive ones still use that). There isn't that "mushy" feel like you have with membrane keyboards. You also always know that a key has registered without having to look at your screen. Mechanical switches also last significantly longer than rubber dome switches before typing starts to be impaired by things such as different force required for often used keys versus less used keys or outright failure to register a key press.

I'd recommend at least trying one out at a local computer store. Just make sure you know the keyboard is one that has mechanical key switches. Like I said, some expensive keyboards still use rubber dome switches to save cost.

Also the feel of mechanical switches greatly depending on the type of switch used. Topre feels different from Cherry MX. Cherry MX keys feel different from each other depending on the color of the switch. ALPS switches have their own feel. Buckling spring switches are oh so satisfying to type on.

There's also some Chinese knock-off copies of the Cherry switches made by Kailh. Razer uses a variation of the Kailh switches on their keyboards that feature "Razer switches" instead of Cherry MX switches. Their quality varies greatly though. If you get lucky all the switches on a keyboard will feel similar to a keyboard with Cherry MX switches. If you aren't lucky. Some percentage of the keys will feel significantly different while the other ones feel like Cherry MX switches.

Regards,
SB

Sinclair Spectrums aside, I don't mind rubber at all. I've typed on such keyboards probably most of my computing life, I'm totally fine with them, especially high quality chichlet switches like Apple uses in their Mac keyboards. Mechanical keyboards can feel 'crisper' though, but it's mostly the same for me. Never met a chichlet keyboard I couldn't tell if I was pressing the key or not. ;)

In fact, certain mechanical switches are MORE prone to mistakes, because the resistance and distance until a press registers can be much lower than with a chiclet. Just resting my fingers on the keys have made them start typing with the K70 (mine uses cherry red switches, so linear resistance without any noticeable/audible 'click' as it registers a press). The Logitech Orion was even worse in that regard; lower spring force, and shorter travel distance made for some irritating mistakes in games when you blow a cooldown without intending to. :p

Buckling spring switches though... Naah. I don't think I could stand the sound of cracking knuckles at EVERY keypress. ;)

Edit:
Btw, Webbhallen agreed to offer full money back on my mouse even though it is not company policy if you've opened the item. Very nice of them!

Sinclair Spectrums aside, I don't mind rubber at all. I've typed on such keyboards probably most of my computing life, I'm totally fine with them, especially high quality chichlet switches like Apple uses in their Mac keyboards. Mechanical keyboards can feel 'crisper' though, but it's mostly the same for me. Never met a chichlet keyboard I couldn't tell if I was pressing the key or not. ;)

Modern Apple keyboards uses a variation of mechanical switches called scissor switches. Logitech also has some keyboards based on those, like the Illuminated Keyboard K740. Many good quality laptops use them as well. Quality varies significantly. Apple and Microsoft have had the best feeling scissor switch based keyboards I've tried.

I quite liked my Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740 until I spilled some soda on it and it died. The same went for their discontinued line of DiNovo keyboards. I still have a Bluetooth version of one of those actually. I only use it for casual purposes now though since the radio frequency pollution in that spectrum makes it unreliable at certain times of the day.

If you can afford them, you might like the Topre based keyboards. They feature a mechanical key construction over a traditional rubber dome. It's less mushy feeling than rubber dome (where the key caps rest directly on the rubber dome) but less mechanical feeling than Cherry MX switches.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Damn, I wish I could remember the keyboard review I looked at. If the noise bothers you, there's a keyboard maker that uses Cherry MX switches but they do the stem differently so it doesn't bottom out with a "clack." The review said that they are quieter while still having most of the Cherry MX feel.

Regards,
SB

Im sure you know, but there's different of CherrryMX, red, blue, brown but they have add a new one, some "special silent " CherryMX.. surely not as silent as a rubber dome or scissor ( who was on logitech keyboard and many laptop since early 2000 ( metal and plastic ). But surely more than the blue i use right now. Now, just need to find the keyboard who have them in option.

Im sure you know, but there's different of CherrryMX, red, blue, brown but they have add a new one, some "special silent " CherryMX.. surely not as silent as a rubber dome or scissor ( who was on logitech keyboard and many laptop since early 2000 ( metal and plastic ). But surely more than the blue i use right now. Now, just need to find the keyboard who have them in option.

Nope those aren't it. But I found the keyboards that use them. The Logitech G710 series.

Another key feature of the G710+ is that its keys have fitted O-rings to dampen the sound from the keyboard.

It only has 26-key rollover, but then again how often are you going to need to keep more than 26 keys held down at a time. :)

Anyway, Anandtech did a review on it. It doesn't get rid of the noise, but it lessens it significantly.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6358/...al-keyboard-and-g600-mmo-mouse-capsule-review

I'd be tempted to get one if I didn't buy a mechanical keyboard recently.

Regards,
SB

And oh hell, thank you Reddit. There's actually a manufacturer that makes affordable (84 USD) buckling spring keyboards that are basically a clone of the IBM Model M.

http://www.pckeyboard.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Category_code=UKBD&Product_code=UNI0P4A

I think I'm going to have to get one. Ugly as sin, just like the IBM Model M as well. :p Extra 10 USD to convert to a 103 key version (to get rid of the Windows key to the right of the space bar), unfortunately. Although I can probably get used to it there. Used to it being on the other side of the ALT key on that side.

Regards,
SB

And oh hell, thank you Reddit. There's actually a manufacturer that makes affordable (84 USD) buckling spring keyboards that are basically a clone of the IBM Model M.

http://www.pckeyboard.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Category_code=UKBD&Product_code=UNI0P4A

I think I'm going to have to get one. Ugly as sin, just like the IBM Model M as well. :p Extra 10 USD to convert to a 103 key version (to get rid of the Windows key to the right of the space bar), unfortunately. Although I can probably get used to it there. Used to it being on the other side of the ALT key on that side.

Regards,
SB

Lol remind me so much the Atari 1040ST era.

Atari ST keyboard didn't much resemble the model M, IMO. It had those stupid-looking (and unergonomic) diagonally cut function keys.

Only acceptable form of diagonal cut:
kolasnittar_w.jpg

Back