Ray-Tracing, meaningful performance metrics and alternatives? *spawn*

Discussion in 'Rendering Technology and APIs' started by Scott_Arm, Aug 21, 2018.

1. DavidGraham

Veteran

Dice modified the minimum and recommended RTX requirements, it now states:

-i5 8400 or Ryzen 5 2600 and RTX 2070 as minimum.
    -i7 8700K or Ryzen 7 2600X and RTX 2080 as recommended.

They also states that RTX will be receiving several patches afterwards to continue optimizing it's performance. RTX will be released officially on Nov 15.
    https://www.ea.com/games/battlefield/battlefield-5/news/battlefield-5-pc-guide

2. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

In my country, for the few people who bought it at launch MSRP it was cheaper than the GTX 1080.
    So if you were on the market for a graphics card in that price bracket, it was a no-brainer.

3. DavidGraham

Veteran

Lightman, pharma and BRiT like this.
  4. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

That is even worse than the 50% performance hit tanking reported by a user on the Sweclockers forums.

5. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Are there pictures of what we get at these settings? I guess DF will do a good job of that if there's nothing anywhere else yet.

eloyc likes this.
  6. DavidGraham

Veteran

It's interesting there is no fps drop between Medium, High and Ultra RTX. Either the settings are bugged, or there is some kind of a bottleneck somewhere.

Alexko, pharma, eloyc and 1 other person like this.
  7. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

And also Medium reports the lowest FPS out of high and ultra? :shock:

8. DavidGraham

Veteran

Probably just variations in the test fps, it's within the margin of error.

Alexko likes this.
  9. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

bandwidth ?

10. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

#290 iroboto, Nov 14, 2018 at 3:29 PM
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018 at 3:34 PM
    Lightman and pharma like this.
  11. DavidGraham

Veteran

TPU did a full write up. With visual comparisons, RTX low vs RTX Ultra doesn't appear to affect visuals too much, with Low lowering reflection resolution a bit, and probably distance as well. But with a far better fps. Low looks incredibly detailed though.

Comparisons are here:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Performance_Analysis/Battlefield_V_RTX_DXR_Raytracing/2.html

As for performance,
    @1080p the 2080Ti gets 88fps at Low RTX and 65fps at Ultra RTX.
    @1440p the 2080Ti gets 73fps at Low RTX and 49 fps at Ultra RTX.

As for the 2080 gets 69fps gets a good 69fps @1080p Low RTX, while the 2070 gets 60fps @1080p low RTX

[​IMG][​IMG]

Lightman and pharma like this.
  12. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

1080p@60fps Ultra settings 2070 DXR Low

there it is. That's all I wanted to see. 2 years from now is going to be a much better story when this all matures.

Consoles are generally set to medium to high setttings. If next gen consoles can run games great at med-high settings and with DXR set to low that should be enough. A 2070 performance in 2020/2021 fits the bill for a reasonably priced console.

#292 iroboto, Nov 14, 2018 at 3:36 PM
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018 at 3:50 PM
    Lightman, BRiT, pharma and 3 others like this.
  13. Malo

Malo YakTribe.games

Some things to note that the numbers are average fps, we don't know min fps, frame time graphs etc which we'll see eventually once several sites do comprehensive testing. There doesn't seem to be anything about testing methodology either so I'm assuming it was basically with no one around, nothing going on. So in actual battle with lots of players, explosions etc. it's going to be significantly worse. Lastly, these are reflections only in BFV, no shadows or lighting via RTX.

Overall I think it's impressive what is being achieved here in real-time at 1080p60. Will anyone actually use it in BFV? Doubtful in multi-player. I think RTX for this generation will be limited to 2080ti in single player games at 30fps.

BRiT likes this.
  14. DavidGraham

Veteran

In their screenshots, TPU tested the multiplayer version .. Also on twitch several people are playing with RTX on at the moment, performance is in line with TPU testing.

Also, RTX seems to be the limiting factor here, not the rasterization, as evident by the fixed cost from Medium to Ultra. So it's a cost you pay upfront and it should does little to bother you again if you are in a situation with heavy rasterization elements.

@1080p low RTX, a 2080Ti can give you 88fps. 73fps @1440p.

#294 DavidGraham, Nov 14, 2018 at 4:49 PM
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018 at 5:31 PM
    Lightman, iroboto and pharma like this.
  15. ToTTenTranz

More than a 50% hit, actually.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Performance_Analysis/Battlefield_V_RTX_DXR_Raytracing/4.html

All cards are getting >60% hits, at any resolution, when reflections quality is set to anything above "low".

In fact, the only practical implementation seems to be the DXR Reflections Quality Low setting. Performance difference between the "medium", "high" and "ultra" settings is virtually non-existent, with "high" and "medium" consistently getting lower framerates than "ultra". So far it seems DICE only implemented 2 actual settings. That or the engine is using variable quality that essentially makes everything default to medium because each card would tank their performance beyond that.

I'd like to see a IQ comparison between no-DXR, DXR-Low and DXR-Ultra. DXR-Low to see how much we're actually gaining in practical terms with the current RTX family, and Ultra to know how good games could get in the future.
    To be honest, I'm not impressed with TechPowerUp's screenshots with DXR-Low enabled.

Lightman likes this.
  16. eloyc

Veteran Regular

Well, I have to say that I'm very EXCITED to see a mainstream game producing real time RT at a fluid FPS and decent resolution, even though it's not 999999 FPS at 4K. If the performance disappoints you (rhetorical), turn RT off.

OCASM and pharma like this.
  17. DavidGraham

Veteran

Here is BFV running @ Ultra 1080p with RTX on in a live multiplayer match, and achieving 90fps and more with RTX 2080Ti.

Lightman, OCASM, iroboto and 2 others like this.
  18. pharma

Veteran Regular

Exactly, RT really looks beautiful! The inclusion of DLSS should add a boost to RTRX performance. Looking forward to games incorporating not only these two features but other "new" features in the Turing stack.

eloyc likes this.
  19. Samwell

Newcomer

The performance is as expected and on low it's ok for such a new feature, 2070 at 60fps in 1080p and 2080Ti above 60fps in 1440p.
    But BF V is just the wrong game for RTX. In a multiplayer game i want higher fps. They already want to include DLSS in Hitman, there RTX would've fitted much better.

eloyc likes this.
  20. pharma

Veteran Regular

Aren't the fps in this multiplayer example enough?