Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart [PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
The game needs another +5 on the motion blur slider for OLED TVs the current implementation just doesn't go far enough. I wish more devs tested their motion blur on OLED. Last Of Us 2 does it right.

The game needs another +5 on the motion blur slider for OLED TVs the current implementation just doesn't go far enough. I wish more devs tested their motion blur on OLED. Last Of Us 2 does it right.
It doesn't go up to full duration of frame?

Last edited:
Even though I own neither a PS5 or Ratchet and Clank, I can appreciate the 40 fps mode. I've run some PC games like that, locked the framerate to 40, vsync at 120, or 48fps @144hz, and cranked up the visuals and resolution and it's pretty good for some game types. Not sure it's a great fit for an action shooter/platformer, but certainly better than 30 fps.

I already platinumed the game, wish they kept some trophies for the challenge mode to increase replay value but anyways, gave it a go again with this 40fps mode and I find it very good. Feels much better than 30fps. I hope other devs take note and offer similar modes on their games.

Wonder when Sony will deliver VRR and what R&C will do with that.

TVs having minimum VRR at around 40hz reduces the usability.
It really would be awesome if it would work in full range. (Although old good C64 frame rates of 4fps could look quite funky.)

Perhaps something like 40hz minimum and let it float upwards in cases where there is extra performance.

I suppose VRR is basically useless for quite some time yet. You would need to support an additional mode internally in the game besides the two already present (performance VS fidelity). And you have to be willing to make this investment for currently a very small percentage of VRR capable tv owners.

That’s not to say they won’t support it anytime soon - tv sales could be a driving factor to adopt this feature. But it is clear that Playstation is now such a big thing that supporting features that help other divisions has become a lower priority.

So I don’t think they will be in a hurry - games are bound to run nicely with either 30 or 60 FPS for now, and they will probably look with interest at how many people use those options. And then a game like R&C would have to experiment with a mode that, say, balances dynamic resolution against a dynamic framerate.

In the end I feel VRR as a technology is far more useful in the PC landscape than in the console landscape, where just getting a game to a stable framerate should be a priority. But if ever 120hz tvs become as prevalent as 1080p, then perhaps a handful of games could go for 40hz or drop framerate instead of resolution.

But right now, I just don’t see it making much sense.

I suppose VRR is basically useless for quite some time yet.
depends on what % of tvs have it, Any numbers? (my tv doesnt support it but its a cheap piece of junk)
Yes I can see VRR being bad as it could lead to developers being lazy, going oh well we dont need 60fps, 55 is good enuf we will just let VRR fix that, Im going for coffee (see day one patches for another example of this, back in the day before internet you had to ship basically a working game but now fuck it, lets ship a broken game and patch it later)
but at the end of the day if the developers have done everything then yes VRR is a win, and if sony dont get PS5 supporting this then it counts as a big mark against them compared to xbox series x

I suppose VRR is basically useless for quite some time yet. You would need to support an additional mode internally in the game besides the two already present (performance VS fidelity). And you have to be willing to make this investment for currently a very small percentage of VRR capable tv owners.

That’s not to say they won’t support it anytime soon - tv sales could be a driving factor to adopt this feature. But it is clear that Playstation is now such a big thing that supporting features that help other divisions has become a lower priority.

So I don’t think they will be in a hurry - games are bound to run nicely with either 30 or 60 FPS for now, and they will probably look with interest at how many people use those options. And then a game like R&C would have to experiment with a mode that, say, balances dynamic resolution against a dynamic framerate.

In the end I feel VRR as a technology is far more useful in the PC landscape than in the console landscape, where just getting a game to a stable framerate should be a priority. But if ever 120hz tvs become as prevalent as 1080p, then perhaps a handful of games could go for 40hz or drop framerate instead of resolution.

But right now, I just don’t see it making much sense.

Isn’t VRR supposed to “just work”?

Back