Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart [PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
I d say that overall it surpasses anything on PC even if you can max out the best game on PC at 60fps 4k.
The attention to detail is outstanding.
There is simply nothing on PC like Rachet and Clank and Horizon Forbidden West

Sony fans are going to say PS games look best, pc fans will say pc games look best etc etc. I think CP2077 maxed/RT in some scenes absolutely looks more amazing then the best of what ive seen from rift apart. They do different things very well, 2077 with its five different heavy use of RT modes at the same time in a big open world, with alot of debris and assets around, streaming in without loading and massive amount of npcs etc in a dynamic lighting day/night system, 60fps native 4k possible. Whereas rift apart is more going for geometry, attention to detail, overal polish (more consistent as opposed to 2077), close up details for the assets and maybe textures (?). Both do 3d audio very well in the city environments.
I dont think either is winning over the other, each have advantages.

Sony fans are going to say PS games look best, pc fans will say pc games look best etc etc. I think CP2077 maxed/RT in some scenes absolutely looks more amazing then the best of what ive seen from rift apart. They do different things very well, 2077 with its five different heavy use of RT modes at the same time in a big open world, with alot of debris and assets around, streaming in without loading and massive amount of npcs etc in a dynamic lighting day/night system, 60fps native 4k possible. Whereas rift apart is more going for geometry, attention to detail, overal polish (more consistent as opposed to 2077), close up details for the assets and maybe textures (?). Both do 3d audio very well in the city environments.
Well it wasnt Sony fans that praised Rachet and Clank as the best looking game.

I wonder how they are doing that fur.
They are clearly still using shells for the short fur parts of the body, and some other aproximation for the longer haired versions, but how that second system works is still a mistery to me.
On spiderman, I though their new "strand system" was still based on alpha cards, but subdivided procedurally for continuous LODing. But thar close up of the tail on DF... Each strand does look like a tri-strip, right from the zoomed-out moment. They can't be all tris at every distance, can they? Can they transition perfectly smoothly from alpha cards to individual strips with zero pop-in? WTF is going on?

All of them praised the graphics for being the closest we ever got to a Pixar movie.
Plus the DF showcased and praised an amount and attention of detail that is no present in other games.
As much as Cyberpank may look good on PC maxed it barely got the same praise for its attention to detail and polish as Rachet.

Nah, CP2077 landed number one most visually impressive looking game at the end of last year (by DF). Rift Apart is doing things better, but also doing things worse as opposed to 2077. Like said, they both have their own next gen features/graphics, but neither is doing both at the same time though.
I'd pick 2077, but im a pc gamer, and you obviously as a sony fan choose rift apart.

Also, your sharing an opinion of Scott Lowe, someone who worked for a sony studio and is heavily into anything from those studios.

Nah, CP2077 landed number one most visually impressive looking game at the end of last year (by DF).
I dont remember getting the same amount of praise as this. But even if it did......Past tense. We have June.
Now its Rachet and Clank. Which manages to achieve this graphical fidelity on less powerful hardware.
This has nothing to do with being a sony fan. Its what I see as a 3D artist and what we see compared to other games.
Between brute forcing *(which is what Cyberpunk is mostly about) and artistic+technical mastery we choose the latter.

I dont remember getting the same amount of praise as this. But even if it did......Past tense. We have June.
Now its Rachet and Clank. Which manages to achieve this graphical fidelity on less powerful hardware.
This has nothing to do with being a sony fan. Its what I see as a 3D artist and what we see compared to other games.
Between brute forcing *(which is what Cyberpunk is mostly about) and artistic+technical mastery we choose the latter.

Im seeing two games doing next generational things, both having their own advantages to eachother. Artistical yeah perhaps. Overall i would say 2077 (maxed on pc then) takes the cake, but i see it more technically as opposed to artistically. I thought next geeration was going to be all about 4k60, and no 30fps modes to achieve max image quality. Modest ray tracing at a huge cost.... might worth it, or not, no idea, atleast you have a choice.
Like said, im having a hard time saying one is more impressive then the other, just doing different next gen things. Personal bias and opinions will be the deciding factor in the end.

I might be one of the more vocal CP2077 defenders on this board. I also don't care for platformers like Ratchet and Clank anymore, nor do I own a PS5, so I won't be playing it anytime soon anyway. And, I may have made several posts that can be seen as marginalizing the world swapping mechanics from a technical level, and the various sections of the game that appear to trap you on a rail. I think there are scenes you can find in CP2077 that look better, but from what I've seen Rift Apart wins. I'm not one of the people who are going to complain about things being "immersion breaking", but everything in Rift Apart looks like it belongs in the world that it's in, and is in the space that it should be. That's not true with Cyberpunk. CP2077's lows are just too low.

everything in Rift Apart looks like it belongs in the world that it's in
yup, that's the best way to write it. Unification of everything coming together properly, with barely noticeable blemishes is going to be a hallmark of quality as we mature into next gen.

Incredible achievement here. Obviously things will get better in time, as do all things, but still, the amount of polish here is top shelf - lots to enjoy graphically from this release.

I will likely still play this one on 60fps however, motion resolution is such an important aspect of clarity over static resolution since we are moving most of the time.

Do you see any other differences besides reflections?

Haven't looked in detail but the crowd is denser in the second shot too. I imagine that kind of geometry density would be cut back in other places as well.

Also when we say reflections, we're not simply talking about whenever there's a puddle on screen. It appears that a significant amount of the surfaces have some reflective properties which IMO can dramatically change the look of the game even if were not talking mirror like surfaces. This applies to other games that make good use of RT too.

I assume there are also image quality compromises in the performance mode.

ZZwnGM.jpg

They achieve this fidelity because the gameworld is of a different nature than CB's or other games and they focus on polishing the things your eye go to imediately. Together with various other tricks. Cyberpunk looks better and is doing things on a much higher level with more features. Flight Sim is almost lifelike. Half Life Alyx was glossed over due to being VR only, but thats one top of the line graphical showcase. Its polished and detailed at the highest possible level, rockstar or naughty dog levels.

ZZXWaQ.jpg

ZZwYXe.jpg

ZZwG49.jpg

Image from hispanic guy on era who has the game

Technology core director of Insomniac told like other Insomniac title on PS5, no difference between gameplay and photomode. On Spiderman PS4, Spiderman had higher details in photomode than gameplay. This as improved in Spiderman Remastered and Spiderman Mile Morales.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ra...ital-foundry-tech-review.438547/post-66832210

They achieve this fidelity because the gameworld is of a different nature than CB's or other games and they focus on polishing the things your eye go to imediately. Together with various other tricks. Cyberpunk looks better and is doing things on a much higher level with more features. Flight Sim is almost lifelike. Half Life Alyx was glossed over due to being VR only, but thats one top of the line graphical showcase. Its polished and detailed at the highest possible level, rockstar or naughty dog levels.

In the Intro scene everything is detailed, you can zoom anywhere there are details. Little insect are as detailed if you zoom on them. We just need to wait if Horizon Forbidden West details scale in the full open world. If it is the case, I think for example the crab details will be as good as the first demo. if you zoom on it.

Geometry of R&C and it seems but it is only a demo of HFW seems to be much higher than CB2077.

Last edited:
Back