Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart [PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
I think the question is just whether or not they had this in memory, or if they really did unload all memory and load in all memory. I think for this type of portal event, this was stored in memory. The other ones, I think they do a world unload. How close the assets are, probably aren't all that important - it's likely a game play mechanic here to show that you fixed this world - so it can't be too different; the thing in the middle stays, the track stays, the little factory under the tracks stay, the platform your standing on stays etc.
I very well believe they could have done a complete world swap if they wanted to.

I think we're just looking at some really smart usage of memory, asset streaming and the SSD. What I mean to say is that I don't think SSD alone was the enabler for this particular effect. I have a feeling they were likely preloading into memory before the hammer, so at some point when you're within (X) distance of hammer, start loading assets into memory as required for instance and do the flip over on hammer sequence.

whatever they do, combined with those graphics, it's the kind of next gen step over PS4 that we wanted to see, and that's nice to see at last !
yes we got fast loading here, higher res/fps there, but here it's a complete package in a single next gen only game.

It certainly is up there with DS but on a bigger scale. Only CP2077 still on top technically (the pc version maxed, ofcourse).

It certainly is up there with DS but on a bigger scale. Only CP2077 still on top technically (the pc version maxed, ofcourse).
cp technically is mess ;d but has implemented very demanding rt not possible in this form on ps5 and xsx

Uhh, well I'm a big PC gaming fanboy.. and don't even own or have any interest in owning a PS5... but I have no problems admitting that this is visually the best looking game currently.

I think on the whole, it's quite a bit ahead of CP2077. The reason I say that is because everything is extremely polished, and just the density of visuals and the high frequency detail.

If there's ONE nitpick I have about the trailer, it's that their RT implementation seems a bit noisy at times. A small nitpick though, to be sure.

Uhh, well I'm a big PC gaming fanboy.. and don't even own or have any interest in owning a PS5... but I have no problems admitting that this is visually the best looking game currently.

I think on the whole, it's quite a bit ahead of CP2077. The reason I say that is because everything is extremely polished, and just the density of visuals and the high frequency detail.

If there's ONE nitpick I have about the trailer, it's that their RT implementation seems a bit noisy at times. A small nitpick though, to be sure.

True, hard to see on my notebook but first time I watched on 4k TV it was noticeable. After we will see better later.

I agree with this guy from Insomniac probably the best looking game at launch. He was at Insominac and quit the studio to work at The Initiative studio and he is now working again at Insomniac on one another game(Spiderman 2?). Some better looking game will launch later.

Battlefield 6?

Funny sequence wit Ratchet with some boots and a portal.

I think the question is just whether or not they had this in memory, or if they really did unload all memory and load in all memory. I think for this type of portal event, this was stored in memory. The other ones, I think they do a world unload. How close the assets are, probably aren't all that important - it's likely a game play mechanic here to show that you fixed this world - so it can't be too different; the thing in the middle stays, the track stays, the little factory under the tracks stay, the platform your standing on stays etc.
I very well believe they could have done a complete world swap if they wanted to.

I think we're just looking at some really smart usage of memory, asset streaming and the SSD. What I mean to say is that I don't think SSD alone was the enabler for this particular effect. I have a feeling they were likely preloading into memory before the hammer, so at some point when you're within (X) distance of hammer, start loading assets into memory as required for instance and do the flip over on hammer sequence.
Sure they could pre-load some stuff before the hammer but do they really need it? You know that < 2 seconds loadings are becoming the norm on PS5? Even RE8 loads in ~1.6 sec on PS5 instead of 35 sec on PS4. Like you said with the SSD they don't even need to load the whole level. In ~1 sec like here they could load just what we can see then they could load the rest during gameplay like they do in Demon's souls.

Sure they could pre-load some stuff before the hammer but do they really need it? You know that < 2 seconds loadings are becoming the norm on PS5? Even RE8 loads in ~1.6 sec on PS5 instead of 35 sec on PS4. Like you said with the SSD they don't even need to load the whole level. In ~1 sec like here they could load just what we can see then they could load the rest during gameplay like they do in Demon's souls.
Yea that’s fairly possible as well. That’s another good way of doing it

I agree with this guy from Insomniac probably the best looking game at launch. He was at Insominac and quit the studio to work at The Initiative studio and he is now working again at Insomniac on one another game(Spiderman 2?). Some better looking game will launch later.

Battlefield 6?
Knack 3 or Bugsnax 2

Gives hope for games like Forsaken and u can't wait to see what the other studios like ND will do.
Also pumped to see the first games using UE5. Like on the PS5 tech demo.
I wonder what the size of the game will be like. Can't wait to learn more and see more.
Their DOF and. Motion blur is just the best in the industry i think. Gg Insomniac.

Back