Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart [PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
Quite honestly I've basically stopped playing on my PS4, as all I can think about is all the time I'm wasting waiting for stuff to load, when I know than in a couple of months time I won't be wasting that time, with which I could be doing much better things, like my nails, or working.

Quite honestly I've basically stopped playing on my PS4, as all I can think about is all the time I'm wasting waiting for stuff to load, when I know than in a couple of months time I won't be wasting that time, with which I could be doing much better things, like my nails, or working.
I have wasted my time last weekend play Rachett and Clank on the PS4. Actually enjoying it. I think I screwed up on getting a trophy for the mini game trespasser trophy as I finely noticed the auto complete and did it skipping the warning only to later read the warning the second time I wanted to autocomplete trespasser and read that I would void getting the trespasser trophy. :( Now I will have to play it again to get that trophy. Still, I see the similarities between the original and the upcoming game on the PS5. I will now definitely be getting R&C Rift Apart on the PS5.

I have wasted my time last weekend play Rachett and Clank on the PS4. Actually enjoying it. I think I screwed up on getting a trophy for the mini game trespasser trophy as I finely noticed the auto complete and did it skipping the warning only to later read the warning the second time I wanted to autocomplete trespasser and read that I would void getting the trespasser trophy. :( Now I will have to play it again to get that trophy. Still, I see the similarities between the original and the upcoming game on the PS5. I will now definitely be getting R&C Rift Apart on the PS5.
Oh I've played R&C PS4 I don't even know how many times. One of my favourite games of the generation. And I also have never been able to get that trophy, and another one I think had to do with the races (I think?). So I'm 2 trophies away from platinum.

Yeah, I’ve been playing Ori on X but thinking of playing through my Switch back catalogue after that...I’m saving my PS4/X back catalogue for next gen machines.

Why does anyone think the level only starts loading at that point? Why would it be impossible for it to start loading earlier, when the player is within X game feet of the portal, since that's the only location the player can move to?

Yup same can be said for when does it stop loading. I mean it could be a choice for it to take so long because it looks/feels better.
There has to be some kind of transition otherwise it would look/feel weird.

Why does anyone think the level only starts loading at that point? Why would it be impossible for it to start loading earlier, when the player is within X game feet of the portal, since that's the only location the player can move to?

I don't believe this is the case. My understanding is that the 3D points in environments are mostly optional for the player, so you can't be sure it's the only place the player will go. I assume they'll show more on these mechanics, because if the game was really on rails to this extent it's really no different to elevators and narrow corridors.

Most of my wasted time on PS4 comes from the waiting for new giant patches to download then copy....
ooofff, don't get me started on Call of Duty, Xbox has a size issue; PC you're stuck waiting for shaders to recompile.

Because each time there is a purple portal, there is three duplicated frame at the beginning maybe some latency before beginning to load the new level.

That could be CPU processing setting up the object housekeeping for the new level or something else entirely. Could be garbage collection of old objects and not related to new level at all. We just don't know for sure.

That could be CPU processing setting up the object housekeeping for the new level or something else entirely. Could be garbage collection of old objects and not related to new level at all. We just don't know for sure.

When you arive inside the new level there is a duplicated frame too and there is visible duplicated frame too before having control again. I suppose this is where the CPU setting up the new level and this is the reason they don't give control to the player before it is done. Same before the portal they took the control of the player before the three duplicated frame.

Last edited:
It could be doing anything, could be from cpu cleanup or new setup of housekeeping tasks. We simply don't know. Anyone who says otherwise who isn't the developer is simply speculating.

Edit: it could even be BVH cleanup and setup. We just don't know enough to be certain of anything.

It could be doing anything, could be from cpu cleanup or new setup of housekeeping tasks. We simply don't know. Anyone who says otherwise who isn't the developer is simply speculating.

Again there is multiple phases between this, when the level is load all object are on screen there is duplicated frame and the player does not have control like if the CPU was setting up the level. Exactly the same before on the other level the player lose control before the three duplicating frame and the purple portal(hidden loading screen).

I take a bet @Quaz51 reasonning will be the truth when we will have a GDC presentation. All looks like logic and align with the SSD technology in general, the PS5 SSD and the Spiderman PS5 demo.

Last edited:
How do you calculate how much data is being loaded at what latencies just by looking at a game?
Aside from that, i though SC was doing atleast as good a job if showing what an ssd can do, so did ue5, if not better.

How do you calculate how much data is being loaded at what latencies just by looking at a game?
Aside from that, i though SC was doing atleast as good a job if showing what an ssd can do, so did ue5, if not better.

Like people count pixel to find resolution. @Quaz51 was the first one to do it and find the halo 3 resolution before Digitalfoundry was existing. After I don't know how much data is transfered but slowest speed is double than the usage of the SSD for a Spiderman 4 PS5 demo. I suppose the ps5 can on average streamed 8 to 9 GB/s of data.

Here it is simple the purple portal is a loading screen, The loading screen stay at least one second to 1.6 seconds. I suppose it depends of the level and the compression ratio of each level... After each time you have a purple portal before the portal and after the portal player loose control of Ratchet. And each time at the beginning of the portal there is three duplicated frame. I suppose this is the latency of the SSD after the CPU ask the data because three frames is too slow to be a CPU, GPU workload or linked to the RAM. There are other duplicated frames before and after the portal like something heavy is happening probably on the CPU. You need to analyse the demo frame per frame.

Star Citizen works good with SATA SSD. UE 5 is a demo of fast streaming not portal. Ratchet and Clank is the best demonstation of the SSD.

Last edited:
ooofff, don't get me started on Call of Duty, Xbox has a size issue; PC you're stuck waiting for shaders to recompile.

in fact it's not much about the size of patches, but the PS4 copy system, if a game like RDR2 is 100go, even if the patch is 1go, it has to copy the whole game on your disc before copying the patch, so you'll need another 100go of free space, and wait for the whole operation to proceed, and just the copying part can take more than 30min.

in fact it's not much about the size of patches, but the PS4 copy system, if a game like RDR2 is 100go, even if the patch is 1go, it has to copy the whole game on your disc before copying the patch, so you'll need another 100go of free space, and wait for the whole operation to proceed, and just the copying part can take more than 30min.
It's because the whole game file (the 100GB) is being rebuilded from the start with the added data inserted where needed. They do this to keep the assets in sequential order (as much as they can) in order to improve loadings.

It's because the whole game file (the 100GB) is being rebuilded from the start with the added data inserted where needed. They do this to keep the assets in sequential order (as much as they can) in order to improve loadings.
PS4 games are not actually one file, but many games do use one or more large files. It's when a patch touches one or more of these larger files, that a completely new file may need to be made. Sony are running BSD at core, so the OS should already be using speculative file allocation like leaving gaps between larger files to allow for expansion and intra-disk segment re-organization.

E.g. If when installing a game you have a 10Gb file, you write this file contiguously file on disk but you don't allocate the following 500mb for use unless you're out of space, you leave it. Then if there is a patch that requires inserting 100mb around the 70% point, you just shuffle (moving, read then writes) the remaining 30% forward by 100mb and insert the new data in the space made.

Even massive games can sometimes patch quickly and sometimes much smaller games patch slower. The example Mark Cerny uses not not a single patch resulting in a new file, but many patches building up - this is where after x number of patches you're run out of expansion space created by the speculative allocation and just need to move the whole file somewhere else with a bit of extra space. What may not be apparent is that make this extra space, it may have to move a bunch of other files around as well. This will happen more as you run out of space. You never want to use above 80% of the HDD space on your PS4. Once you have below 20% free space, you're now in patch file allocation hell. :yep2:

I know way too much about file system data allocation. :(

Back