Ratchet and Clank PS3 - High Resolution screens

Art direction is very good. the last image looks like a Disney-esque painted backdrop. Model details look good and they have some funky shades going on. Things I'm 'concerned' over are the IQ (these look like PR shots), flat grass pasted here, and most importantly the lack of shadowing. Flat grass can be replaced with a different sprite, but the lack of shadowing is a big thing; the characters don't look at all grounded in the scene.

Art direction is very good. the last image looks like a Disney-esque painted backdrop. Model details look good and they have some funky shades going on. Things I'm 'concerned' over are the IQ (these look like PR shots), flat grass pasted here, and most importantly the lack of shadowing. Flat grass can be replaced with a different sprite, but the lack of shadowing is a big thing; the characters don't look at all grounded in the scene.

Urr? Shadowing is present in places

1-UP seem to diassgree with that ;)
I'll be pleased and very impressed if these are actual grabs, as the IQ is unprecedented. However I'm doubtful. Every time a review talks about things like IQ and framerate, I find their standards are very different from my own!

4xAA I could go with, but these look higher than that to me. The 1UP show said 'the game looked better than the screens' but that suggests visceral response rather than considered IQ. The IQ could be lower but the animation and cinematic feel gives the look a grander, 'better' feel.

As for the shadows, they're there in the trailer so I expect them to be present. They just are sorely missed in these captures.

Resistance runs with 4xAA, so does Warhawk and Heavenly Sword. So how is it to high?
R&C is shooting for 60fps for one. Then I wrote "at least" 4xaa, the actual pics look better than that as Shifty notes. Insomniac is not exactly clean about bullshots, they released 1080p shots for resistance before. Anyway let's hope they'll release a playable demo asap.

R&C is shooting for 60fps for one. Then I wrote "at least" 4xaa, the actual pics look better than that as Shifty notes. Insomniac is not exactly clean about bullshots, they released 1080p shots for resistance before. Anyway let's hope they'll release a playable demo asap.

To their credit, Resistance was a 1080p game for a little while.

These shots are actually probably higher than 4xAA though. They do look a bit too good.

Ratchet & Clank games always look great, not only because they have AA, but because they use textures and designs that have an AA like effect. It's a very clever art-technique. You use colors and gradients on your textures and meshes that help to hide the edges (e.g. darker near the edge, or gradients near the edge)

At least, that's what I noticed - being a complete art-noob though, I could be wrong.

Ratchet & Clank games always look great, not only because they have AA, but because they use textures and designs that have an AA like effect. It's a very clever art-technique. You use colors and gradients on your textures and meshes that help to hide the edges (e.g. darker near the edge, or gradients near the edge)

At least, that's what I noticed - being a complete art-noob though, I could be wrong.

Not saying you're wrong about this observation of intention, but these pics clearly show no Aliasing ... at all.

(I can't wait for 16xaa consoles)

I'll be curious to see how the final game looks but it certainly seems to be on the right track. Beautiful. :smile:

Not saying you're wrong about this observation of intention, but these pics clearly show no Aliasing ... at all.

Actually, they do.

(Ironically, I don't think any of these screenshots look beautiful at all. But I know it looks better in motion.)

Upon closer inspection, there is something interesting going on. It seems as if the anti-aliasing is directional, possibly horizontal only. It produces horizontal gradients that are very obvious when you take a magnifying tool to the screenshots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, they do.

(Ironically, I don't think any of these screenshots look beautiful at all. But I know it looks better in motion.)

Upon closer inspection, there is something interesting going on. It seems as if the anti-aliasing is directional, possibly horizontal only. It produces horizontal gradients that are very obvious when you take a magnifying tool to the screenshots.

Like the Lair AA?

You could be right, now that I think of it (I didn't follow that discussion very closely, but it does ring a bell)

This shows what I mean:

ratchetaa.jpg

Back