Random Wii facts, as revealed by Nintendo's manual

cthellis42

Hoopy Frood
Legend
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/12/wii-console-manual-reveals-its-secrets/

Some tidbits:

The photo channel supports JPGs of up to 8192x8192 resolution and QuickTime files of up to 848x480. (pg. 22)
MP3 audio is listed under supported formats. After quite a bit of searching, we figured out how this feature works, but we didn't like what we found (more later.)
"Software downloaded from the Wii Shop Channel is licensed to you, not sold"

Food for thought.

To your number 3, you're aware thats how ALL electronically distributed meda, from games, to music, to movies, operates right? I know ignorance is bliss, but i cant help getting annoyed a little anytime i see someone get self righteous, or acting like they've blown a conspiracy open when its listed on someplace. Its just the way of the world, has been on pretty much everything.

They get word picky because they want to make it clear to the user that they cant take it and duplicate it or re-sell it. At least not legally.

They can take that list and crumple it up and slip it between their butt cheeks for all i care. Tired of console drama let alone stuff blown way the hell out of proportion.

Last edited by a moderator:
They get word picky because they want to make it clear to the user that they cant take it and duplicate it or re-sell it. At least not legally.

It depends in which country you live in, here, in France duplicating the music & videos you buy is perfectly legal, even for friends, it's called private copy.

Gotta read this article.

It depends in which country you live in, here, in France duplicating the music & videos you buy is perfectly legal, even for friends, it's called private copy.

Gotta read this article.

It's always curious to see how the courts will come down when a corporation tries to put something in a EULA that nullifies one of the owner's legal rights. If French law says you can copy your music, and Corporation says you can't, who wins? American courts seem to come down on the side of the EULAs (correct me if I'm wrong). Nintendo's EULA is a paper tiger if the courts won't enforce it.

Ah, the 21st-century. When governments let corporations write laws. And we used to complain about government agencies.

Tired of console drama let alone stuff blown way the hell out of proportion.
You mean like your post? o_O Seriously.

Most of the list was full of random facts about the console. Only two were delving into "ownership" or "spying" matters, and they just listed them the way the manual presented them.

The reason I said "food for thought" is because not everyone knows every legal tidbit of every service, so they toss it out for group commentary. Some points get specific note because of how they contrast to previous press releases/interviews. Some are probably tongue-in-cheek comments because... well... that's what we DO around here.

But please to not self-create the "console drama" so you can complain about it.

SugarCoat said:
Tired of console drama let alone stuff blown way the hell out of proportion.
That's the "gaming blogs" for you!

For some reasons even I can't explain, I decided to check this blog front page. And... I wish I didn't.
They have an article about why the "latest Zelda falls flat" and I can say without a doubt that it's the worst thing I read this month.

It's like they absolutely wanted to have a negative, and therefore sensationalistic, article on Zelda given that it's popular with the Nintendo fan --who are legions on the internets.
If French law says you can copy your music, and Corporation says you can't, who wins?
French law, no debate about that. EULAs, to be honest, mean nothing in France. I can remember a case of jurisprudence where a court gave any importance to an accepted EULA.

By the way, you can replicate music for your own use, if you want to give it to friends and/or family, the case might not be easy.

Interestingly enough, in the same topic, recently a French court juged that downloading music online, via unauthorised, by the copyright owners, software, was authorised as long as the music is stored on an optical media, seeing that thoses are subjects to a "illegal copy" tax.

I thought that this tax was the most stupid thing ever, given that it did just make everyone pay for crimes they didn't commit, so it was a nice surprise to see a judge think the same and therefore interpret the law in the sense that "since everybody who buy blank media is considered as a thieft and then forced to pay a fee for their crime, then it means these same ones already paid their dues in case of a trial (One can't be sentenced twice for the same crime).

French law, no debate about that. EULAs, to be honest, mean nothing in France. I can remember a case of jurisprudence where a court gave any importance to an accepted EULA.
EULA's mean next to nothing in most places AFAIK. In a lot of countries a contract needs to be signed, or at least have the parties involved named. Terms and conditions are generally superceded by statutory rights, so where a company says in their terms and conditions 'no refund will be given unless the goods are proven faulty' in their online shop, UK law says otherwise (7 days returns are enforced). I don't know how the good old US of A differs, but I wouldn't be surprised if there you can sign away statutory rights via a contract. Have there been EULA's upheld? What about that really stupid ones that read 'Opening the packet constitutes acceptance of these terms' when you can even see the terms before opening the packet?

I thought that this tax was the most stupid thing ever, given that it did just make everyone pay for crimes they didn't commit, so it was a nice surprise to see a judge think the same and therefore interpret the law in the sense that "since everybody who buy blank media is considered as a thieft and then forced to pay a fee for their crime, then it means these same ones already paid their dues in case of a trial (One can't be sentenced twice for the same crime).
Good GOD! :oops: A fair an just application of law, where sense plays a pary?!?!!! There's hope for the world yet!

That's the "gaming blogs" for you!

For some reasons even I can't explain, I decided to check this blog front page. And... I wish I didn't.
They have an article about why the "latest Zelda falls flat" and I can say without a doubt that it's the worst thing I read this month.

It's like they absolutely wanted to have a negative, and therefore sensationalistic, article on Zelda given that it's popular with the Nintendo fan --who are legions on the internets.

Penny Arcade put up an entry about that very blog.

I took the Wii home over the weekend and was able to put quite a bit of time into Zelda. There was what I would describe as a “bru ha ha†over at Joystiq when one of their bloggers claimed the game was a flop. He cited its terrible graphics as reason enough to dismiss it entirely. The response in the thread afterwards was heated with lots of people claiming that the graphics weren’t as bad as he claimed and that the game actually looked really good. Having played it all weekend I’m here to tell you that’s not the correct response.
See the problem is that he’s partially right. The game doesn't look very good. I don’t just mean it doesn’t look like Gears of War either, I mean it doesn’t even look good for a GC game and let’s be honest here that’s what we’re talking about. I’ve seen beautiful games on the Cube. Crystal Chronicles, Wind Waker and Resident Evil 4 were all incredible looking games. Twilight Princess can’t really compare to any of them. So he’s right about that, what he’s wrong about is everything else.
Even though the game doesn’t look all that great, it’s still Zelda and it’s fucking awesome. Our crew plays Gears of War every night and I had a hard time putting down my remote and nun chuck to join them. 1up has a minute by minute write up of the first ten hours of the game which seems ridiculous to me. I don’t know why you’d want to ruin such a great experience and it’s really not necessary. Maybe that’s that new games journalism I’ve heard so much about. Here’s everything you need to know about Twilight Princess:

Back