Rambus a possible takeover target by Sun Microsystems.

Brimstone

B3D Shockwave Rider
Veteran
Rumors on Wednesday cited Sun Microsystems as a potential acquirer of Rambus. Sun develops its own microchips, the UltraSPARC family, for its servers and recently said it would sell its chips to other computer makers. It's possible Sun could use Rambus' memory interfacing technology designs in its SPARC family. But analysts said it was not clear what the immediate benefit would be for Sun, nor was it apparent why any company would want to buy Rambus, which is entrenched in litigation. Meanwhile, Rambus continues to develop new memory technologies; its chip designs are used in the Sony PlayStation3

http://www.mercurynews.com/businessheadlines/ci_6875326

Interesting.

If Sun was to buy Rambus, think they'd drop all the lawsuits Rambus started over the past couple years? I'm sure they could do without all the attached badwill..

Peace.

Interesting.

If Sun was to buy Rambus, think they'd drop all the lawsuits Rambus started over the past couple years? I'm sure they could do without all the attached badwill..

Peace.

Rambus is purely an IP company. Without that IP and the lawsuits to back it up, Rambus would have no income and so be worth nothing. The only reason lawsuits are needed is because of the way Rambus secretly submarined their patents while getting them put into JEDEC standards.

The only reason Rambus in turn are being sued and done for uncompetitive practices is down to the same submarining of patents under the JEDEC banner.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to pick up that poison chalice unless Rambus has some new tech coming out that can give them a legitmate income stream without having to hide the patents and then hit everyone using them with lawsuits a couple of years down the line.

Rambus is purely an IP company. Without that IP and the lawsuits to back it up, Rambus would have no income and so be worth nothing. The only reason lawsuits are needed is because of the way Rambus secretly submarined their patents while getting them put into JEDEC standards.

The only reason Rambus in turn are being sued and done for uncompetitive practices is down to the same submarining of patents under the JEDEC banner.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to pick up that poison chalice unless Rambus has some new tech coming out that can give them a legitmate income stream without having to hide the patents and then hit everyone using them with lawsuits a couple of years down the line.

Sadly, you display a bias unfounded in reality.

1) Rambus has signed license agreements and receives income from companies never a party to litigation. Think Sony, for one.

2) Your statement of the JEDEC facts are in contradiction to the the extensive findings of the administrative law judge and the court of appeal for the federal circuit. You will recall that the recent FTC is on appeal to the CAFC.

3) Today, the US supreme court refused to overturn the decision of a CA superior court judge denying Samsung & Hynix arbitration in the antitrust matter filed by Rambus. That is unrelated to JEDEC and if you know you knew the facts, you would understand that the cartel has pled to price fixing and paid hundreds of millions of dollars in fines. LOL, members of JEDEC?

Sadly, you display a bias unfounded in reality.

1) Rambus has signed license agreements and receives income from companies never a party to litigation. Think Sony, for one.

2) Your statement of the JEDEC facts are in contradiction to the the extensive findings of the administrative law judge and the court of appeal for the federal circuit. You will recall that the recent FTC is on appeal to the CAFC.

3) Today, the US supreme court refused to overturn the decision of a CA superior court judge denying Samsung & Hynix arbitration in the antitrust matter filed by Rambus. That is unrelated to JEDEC and if you know you knew the facts, you would understand that the cartel has pled to price fixing and paid hundreds of millions of dollars in fines. LOL, members of JEDEC?

Translation:
hello, I work for Rambus' PR department.

ShaidarHaran,

Your reply is cute but wrong. I am an investor, not an employee. I am also informed. I have read 1,000's of pages of legal filings, transcripts, and articles concerning the Rambus litigation.

Are you able to address my post with substance? Give facts and provide links to support your position. I am happy to respond in kind.

For the record, I think you give the Rambus PR department too much credit.

Don't you wonder why it is that Bouncing Z has so much angst regarding Rambus? My agenda is clear - I am an investor.

Tell me why I am wrong - maybe you can convince me to cash out.

;)

Respectfully yours . . . .

ShaidarHaran,

Your reply is cute but wrong. I am an investor, not an employee. I am also informed. I have read 1,000's of pages of legal filings, transcripts, and articles concerning the Rambus litigation.

Are you able to address my post with substance? Give facts and provide links to support your position. I am happy to respond in kind.

For the record, I think you give the Rambus PR department too much credit.

Don't you wonder why it is that Bouncing Z has so much angst regarding Rambus? My agenda is clear - I am an investor.

Tell me why I am wrong - maybe you can convince me to cash out.

;)

So you admit to having a vested interest in the company about which you speak. Forgive me for taking your words with a grain of salt. Surely you know why the industry as a whole avoids dealing with Rambus as though it were plague-infested... Everyone here knows about their history of being lawsuit-happy, as well as their complete lack of product between RDRAM & XDRAM. What were they doing between 2002-2006? Filing lawsuits.

So you admit to having a vested interest in the company about which you speak. Forgive me for taking your words with a grain of salt. Surely you know why the industry as a whole avoids dealing with Rambus as though it were plague-infested... Everyone here knows about their history of being lawsuit-happy, as well as their complete lack of product between RDRAM & XDRAM. What were they doing between 2002-2006? Filing lawsuits.

I don't admit, I proclaim that I have a vested interest. I am an investor. What is your interest?

Feel free to take a grain, pinch or cup. Season your knowledge to the level that you require.

Rambus does not produce product, it produces IP. Did you forget the Rambus IP is found in DDR, DDR 2, DDR 3 GDDR, et al. memory and controllers for starters.

Everybody knows exactly what? That they are stealing Rambus IP and that they pray three times a day that the cartel will somehow save the day? Fat chance.

It doesn't appear likely that Hynix, who is 0-2 and recently was denied the use of the FTC decision in the third phase, will escape Judge Whyte's court without owing Rambus a whole lot of money for using IP without permission. This time next year, Hynix could be on her knees.

The RDRAM antitrust case could cost the cartel billions. No Korean based arbitration to save them. Would you like for me to post some of the conspirators emails?

Rambus engineers have been busy earning patents -although they certainly could rest - since their IP is found in a DRAM market in the $30 billion range and a controller market, perhaps twice the size.

Oh, did I mention I am a shareholder? Please tell me again why Rambus is an awful company?

We all do know what happened in regard to those patents and it is simply deception on the Rambus side. First promoting their stuff to become standard and then coming after all those companies for fees afterwards is just fraud. And I'm also quite confident that your investment will end up in the pockets of some lawyer. So I wish a slow, painful death to Rambus and all the luck to you - you'll need it if you don't get out on time.

I don't admit, I proclaim that I have a vested interest. I am an investor. What is your interest?

Feel free to take a grain, pinch or cup. Season your knowledge to the level that you require.

Rambus does not produce product, it produces IP. Did you forget the Rambus IP is found in DDR, DDR 2, DDR 3 GDDR, et al. memory and controllers for starters.

Everybody knows exactly what? That they are stealing Rambus IP and that they pray three times a day that the cartel will somehow save the day? Fat chance.

It doesn't appear likely that Hynix, who is 0-2 and recently was denied the use of the FTC decision in the third phase, will escape Judge Whyte's court without owing Rambus a whole lot of money for using IP without permission. This time next year, Hynix could be on her knees.

The RDRAM antitrust case could cost the cartel billions. No Korean based arbitration to save them. Would you like for me to post some of the conspirators emails?

Rambus engineers have been busy earning patents -although they certainly could rest - since their IP is found in a DRAM market in the $30 billion range and a controller market, perhaps twice the size.

Oh, did I mention I am a shareholder? Please tell me again why Rambus is an awful company?

Come now, everyone here knows that Rambus back-doored "their IP" into JEDEC memory standards and memory manufacturers have been paying for it ever since.

Rambus vindicated

:LOL:Just another brick in the wall . . .

Los Altos, California, United States - 03/26/2008 Rambus Inc. (Nasdaq:RMBS) today announced that the jury in the case involving Hynix Semiconductor (000660.KS), Micron Technologies (NYSE:MU), and Nanya Technology Corporation (2408.TW) has found in favor of Rambus. The jury determined that Rambus acted properly while a member of the standard-setting organization JEDEC during its participating in the early 1990s, finding that the memory manufacturers did not meet their burden of proving antitrust and fraud claims.

http://www.rambus.com/us/news/press_releases/2008/080326.html

Back