RAGE: That's actually what you do when trying to get the PC version to work

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Farid, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Farid

Farid Artist formely known as Vysez
    Veteran Subscriber

Thanks Evan, for clearing up some misconception about the CUDA implementation.

And feel free to emphasize any specific technical point you'd like to. Technical trivia about new engine technologies are always appreciated 'round these parts.

2. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

3. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Subscriber

Well that lays the blame at rest. Fairly damaging for id imo, I'm sure there were considerable lost sales due to the AMD issues.

4. gamervivek

Regular

100% usage here too. But same problem with some quad core users as well.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.ph...fied-driver/page__view__findpost__p__18763632

AI off gives texture artifacts but not on 11.9 in Win7 (tried 11.6 as given in this thread, and about the same results as with 11.9)

same. The freezing is a little better on winxp than win7 with the new driver.

5. swaaye

Legend

I played it for a bit with this new AMD driver on my 6950 and it worked great for awhile but then when I did a quickload the vsync freaked out and it started stuttering and tearing big time. Fun. An 8800GT runs it better than this.

Back to the GTX 560.

6. Sxotty

Legend

Is it possible that a better openGL driver for games could lead to better professional series drivers? If so AMD has some incentive, otherwise they probably don't care to work on it.
    I am glad you are enjoying it Digi.

Our friend Kyle deleted the thread where people said they enjoyed the game and liked it :)
    Then he posted an old interview on the page where Carmack said he was a bit dissapointed they did not target PCs more since it released later then they thought it would and the gulf between PCs and consoles increased. The explanation of the clusterf*** and AMDs role is studiously absent. He really has a strong agenda it is pretty funny.

#106 Sxotty, Oct 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2011
  7. swaaye

Legend

What's ridiculous about it all is I've played plenty of worse games this year alone. In fact I'm pretty sure I prefer this game over the endlessly lauded Borderlands. I suppose part of his childishness is rightfully fueled by launch incompetence (that's apparently mostly AMD's problem) but still. Some people need to step back and get some perspective on gaming and stop taking stuff personally.

8. gamervivek

Regular

9. Sxotty

Legend

Wow did not know bunny hopping could work that well in it.

10. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Subscriber

11. Otto Dafe

Regular

They might actually be at cross-purposes*, as the pro stuff is more about fidelity and consistency on arbitrary data sets in arbitrary viewports. It certainly seems like both branches would be better for sprouting from a nice sturdy trunk though.

Edit: *to some extent

12. spacemonkey

Newcomer

gamepad

Am I the only one who can't get a gamepad to work in this game? I tried a PlayStation 2 controller (via USB adapter) and a Saitek P880 USB gamepad. They both show up fine in the Control Pannel, but RAGE doesn't recognise either one.

Steering the car with a keyboard is a pain in the A$$ :frown:

13. Ike Turner

Veteran

I'm happy to report that the latset ATI drivers have fixed everything onmy PC (i920, 4GB Ram, 5970 w\1GB)

14. Sxotty

Legend

Do you know if they work for other stuff as well? I saw some people complaining that lots of other openGL stuff is broken (like furmark etc). Of course some people always find ways to break things. After this debacle I won't be surprised int eh future to see absolute crap videos on any new releases. Someone installing drivers from 5 years ago and complaining vociferously :) I mean people here got lots of front page coverage and attention for using the old incorrect AMD drivers even after AMD posted the better ones (that still apparently had some issues). Anyway I am glad AMD has finally got all this sorted out, but they have cost id a lot of sales and a lot of money. I bet they are pretty happy that the consoles were the lead platform after this. Hopefully it won't make them rethink doom 4 as well.

15. Davros

Legend

Let me guess its an xinput game

16. Ike Turner

Veteran

Id on't have any other OGL app/Game installed riht now but will try out later. IE9 GPU acceleration is still busted though ( and that's a Direct2D thing...weird..).

BTW the game rocks (aleast for me..) Just finished the prison break mission and the ennemy AI/death reactions etc is simply awesome. Only downside of the game right now (besides the heavily compressed textures etc... and lack of dinamyc lighting etc..) is the horrible shader aliasing. There's no way to get rid of it.

17. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Subscriber

AMD did measurable damage to the PC gaming industry with this IMO. At the very least they did some damage to id's bottom line.

18. fellix

Veteran

19. HMBR

Regular

that's how the game works here with AI off (on the first video),
    but the pop in looks worse than on the second video here, and there is the freezing (with AI on) and crashes, it's much worse...

20. swaaye

Legend

What's wrong with the second video?

I think it says a lot about the two video card companies when you think about how an 8800GT runs the game pretty well but a 4850 doesn't. The 3000 and 2000 series have apparently been shown the door. Great support.